It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

livinon1 HB User
Just confused about something

I was just wondering about something after discussing it with a friend of mine. If you are on bc, and have sex the first day of your placebo pills, and then have you period 2 and 1/2 days later, could you still get pregnant? I had the understanding that when on bc, you're prevented from having (or releasing) a mature ovum. But then my mother conceived after missing only 1 day on her pill. I had also understood that if you have you're period then you are not pregnant, but then I've also heard you can get pregnant while on the period. Sorry, just massively confused by the whole thing. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Re: Just confused about something

From what I understand, if you're taking the pills correctly, not missing any, then it is 99% effective agaisnt getting pregnant. But now I'm confused about whether or not you're protected during the placebo pills!??! I'm pretty sure you are.. but the best thing to do is read all the fine print that comes with the BC or call the gyno. I mean, if you weren't protected during the placebo pills, then women wouldn't have to stop using the pill to conceive right?!

Of course there is the 1% chance of getting pregnant while on the pill.. I believe that this happens if a girl is in the habit of forgetting to take her pill from time to time.

I've also heard that you can be pregnant and still have your period for up to 3 cycles!! That could mean that by the time you miss your period you're already 4 months pregnant!! I've only known this to have happened to one woman... so my guess is it's not common.

The best thing to do is educate and protect yourself. If you're unsure, call the doctor, make sure to take the pill everyday and as close to the same time each day. And it doesn't hurt to still use condoms! BC protects against pregnancy.. not STDs!

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

livinon1 HB User

Haha! See, that's what I mean. It's confusing. I don't want to ask a doctor because I'm not concerned or anything, I'm just trying to figure out how it works exactly. I had heard you can have your period after conception too. Thus, how exactly would you know?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
(female)

livinon1 HB User

Anyone else??

Old 04-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinon1 View Post
I was just wondering about something after discussing it with a friend of mine. If you are on bc, and have sex the first day of your placebo pills, and then have you period 2 and 1/2 days later, could you still get pregnant? I had the understanding that when on bc, you're prevented from having (or releasing) a mature ovum. But then my mother conceived after missing only 1 day on her pill. I had also understood that if you have you're period then you are not pregnant, but then I've also heard you can get pregnant while on the period. Sorry, just massively confused by the whole thing. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

Well i will try my best to help both of you. First to answer your question, if you have sex the first day of your placebo pills and then get your period 2 1/2 days later I would have to say no. Ofcourse anythings possible with sex...go figure but from my knowledge NO is the brighter answer. I could use myself as an example and say ive been on BC for 2 years now and i usually end up having sex right on my first day of placebos or right before im expecting to get my period on my placebos and it still always comes and its a normal period. Now, if you get something that kind of looks like a period but really you feel it isn't that might be a different case. Also if you think that on BC you are prevented from releasing a mature ovum..then you are right. But as you say that your mother missed only one day on her pill and still got pregnant..that is possible. thats why they say never to miss any pills and always take them at same time. she must be more fertile than others.

now when it comes to this question that you asked ::

I had also understood that if you have you're period then you are not pregnant, but then I've also heard you can get pregnant while on the period. Sorry, just massively confused by the whole thing. Can anyone shed some light?

the answer is that i would say 98% of the time you have your period. a totally regular full blown period with nothing abnormal. you are not pregnant. you are safe. but like i said before anythings possible with sex and some women do get there periods and are still pregnant, it just isnt a very likely thing is all. but it has happened. some women even experienced pinkish blood that they think is there period when really its a sign the egg is planting itself in the uterus. but that doesnt happen often either im just letting you know.

I suppose the only way you truly know is to get a blood test if you are really wondering if your PG. Always pay attention to how you get ur period ands when you get them and what they look like when engaging in sex. because once your period looks abnormal that could be ur first sign!

hopefully i helped. please let me know :-)

Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen52983 View Post
From what I understand, if you're taking the pills correctly, not missing any, then it is 99% effective agaisnt getting pregnant. But now I'm confused about whether or not you're protected during the placebo pills!??! I'm pretty sure you are..

To just clear up whether or not you are protected on placebos. For example i take yasmin. and thats 21 pills (not counting the placebos) they say if you take all 21 (same time, everyday) that those 21 pills (or however many is in the brand you take) has enough hormones to keep you protected during your week break on the placebos. thats why you can still have safe sex on your placebos and they will still keep you protected. but if you miss just one, it can throw it off. I use to wonder the same thing until some very smart women on this very board explained it to me and it made perfect sense.

Closed Thread