It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

Kipper3972 HB User
Help Please Help :'[

My daughter hasn't eaten hardly anything in 7 days, she is 14. when she eats she says she feels so full and like she could throw up even though it is just a grape or something.
I am so worried and earlier I made her eat 5 chips, just to make sure she keeps standing! :'[
I suggested taking her to the doctors but she refuses, saying she isn't ill and nothing is wrong with her.
If i cook her favourite meal she is really happy about it and I put it in front of her and she eats about 1 noodle because she says she is so full up.
I am extremely worried.
anyone know what this could be? :'(

Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
(female)

2jen HB User
Re: Help Please Help :'[

I went through the same thing when I was 15. I was having a tough time at home, always fighting with my Mom and I had just broken up with my first boyfriend. I felt like my life was spinning out of control, and food was one of the only things that I could control (I didn't realize that until a few years later).

I never thought that I was overweight, but I was just never hungry. Also, the less I ate the less I needed, it was like my stomach shrunk and couldn't hold a lot of food. I remember I ate 1 1/2 chicken nuggets and was so full, I felt like I had just eaten a huge meal.

I don't remember how I snapped out of it, my parents were really worried and would punish me if I didn't eat enough, which just made me more upset. Maybe talk to your daughter and see if it could be a similar situation to mine. I am sorry that I can't be of more help, I can only share my story. I am now healthy and eat normally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

kobe kowsumoto HB User

Anorexia can be really dangerous. Insist that she see a doctor, or nurse, someone she can trust.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

At frist glance it make me think she has an ED. Before you title her with anorexia and bulimia see if there is something stressing her out. When I get stressed or deeply upset I can't eat. Having your nerves out of wack can reek havoc on the body.
If I do I feel ill and the one cracker that I just swallowed feels like 3 lbs in my belly. I was like that a couple years ago. The only thing I could keep down was Ensure. It was rough at first I didn't want it had no desire for it or anything. Wasn't hungry at all even though it had been a week since I ate. Trying to keep it down was hard but I had to cause I was so weak. I was like for for 2 weeks before my life was back on track. Once my life was back in line my desire for food came back too.
I had my ED from the age of 19 -24 I am 38 now I always had marks on my hands from putting my fingers down my throat. My teeth would leave marks. I constantly
had to brush my teeth thinking that my breath smelled like bile. I had marks on the sides of my mouth from straining so hard to vomit. My throat was sore from using the end of a tooth brush to make me vomit. I took alot of showers so that the running water would hide the noise of me throwing up. I exercised like a mad person and was constantly checking myself in the mirror.
Do you notice her having any of the signs above?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Sounds like an eating disorder. My friend developed one about that age. Every time we went to lunch at school she would just sit there and complain that she wasn't hungry. We all just kind of "brushed it off" because none of us realized what was really going on. She lost so much weight so quickly, ended up in the hospital, and regrets missing a whole year of school.

I think it's most important to listen to your daughter and find out what she needs (mentally). There is definitely something bothering her that she is having a hard time dealing with.

Take her to a doctor. Be supportive, but don't be a "friend", (like I was to my friend suffering). I wish I would have helped her the moment I noticed her behavior wasn't normal, even though I had no idea what anorexia was.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
(female)

Kipper3972 HB User

She is 14 and I know she isnt concerned about her weight. But I do know she has been through alot of stress lately and suffers from panic attacks. could this be connected? I don't think she is constantly checking herself in the mirror or exercising excessively and she just sits in the lounge after she tries to eat and doesnt rush to the loo or anything. but HURRAH i encouraged her to eat a bowl of pasta earlier and she ate a quarter so that is good I suppose. She is still refusing to go to the doctors, I think this is because last time they were a bit rude =[
thankyou for all the replies
it means alot x

Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
(female)

SnowAngel1988 HB User

I may not have much advice but, I remember going through something like that when I was around 13. I was never hungry. I would want to eat, my mom would buy me the things that I loved to eat but I just never had an appetite. I did later on develope anorexia but I really am not sure if that's the problem here. If she does suffer from panic attacks, that alone right there can be it. I know I suffer from panic attacks and the last thing I want when I'm under stress or even remotely in a nervous state is to eat something. I do suggest talking to your family doctor though. I know I am only 19 but panic attacks are a big thing when you're young. And if she's losing her appetite... I would talk to your family doctor and ask his/her advice on the matter, maybe mention to your daughter that there are medications out there that can help with panic attacks. Or if medication isn't really something that is wanted... the one thing that helps me... chewing gum or focusing on my breathing. It makes the panic attacks go away faster, and if you focus on your breathing any time you start feeling nervous... the feeling goes away faster and may bring back that appetite.

I hope this helps a tiny bit if any at all. Good luck!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

It' been along time since I had a panic attack but reading your post SnowAngel brought back memories I had completely forgotten about. Your right food is the last thing I wanted too. My frame of thought back then was anything would bring on my panic attacks. To much sugar would cause me to be nervous or shaky and bring one on. The same thought for caffine too. Thought it would speed my heart up. I got to the pont where I found a problem with all food.
I know it's silly but panic attacks are not fun..... quiet scary. I called 911 twice in one night cause I thought I was going to die.
I'm glad she ate pasta Kipper3972 carbs are good in her case. I hope what ever is troubling her she is working her way out of it. My mom and I never really discussed things it was more of her telling me or lecturing me if she thought I was hiding something. I never let myself get scary skinny but I was skinny.

let us know how things are going!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

Im only 19 years old and have experienced something similar to this. I didnt have a ED...i just woke up and could not eat. at all. ive always have had a bad stomach occasionally and i have acid reflux which can cause you to just not want to eat due to upset stomach. but i know one thing...that didnt help was my mom forcing me to eat. especially to eat foods that were not the easiest to chew or swallow. like i noticed you said she ate some pasta. which is fairly easy to eat...but ask her if she would be willing to eat some soup, applesauce, jello, even some cereals are easy to eat. anything that will just slide down. its better than nothin at all at this point im sure. if you dont see her running to the bathroom after she eats or anything thats sure a good sign. but keep watch on signs of a possible ED. or maybe something is going on at school? she might be getting teased or something that may be causing her not to want to eat? or maybe she really does not feel good and her stomach is out of wack right now. I have had this problem with my stomach feeling full when it shouldnt. anything is a verdict right now.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I agree with the other posters about ED but perhaps it is something else. Where is she developmentally - can she be menstrauating for the first time - or the first time regularly. Is she perhaps using tampons for the first time. You said it has been 7 days but what started it. Has there been any new friends in her life that may be pressuring her to be thin (and thus the ED). Are there any other symptoms, modd swings, pain anywhere else, cramping. Is she bloated and gassy (not that she would admit that) Perhaps it is time for that first OB/GYN appointment that every girl dreams of!! It can also be the start of wisdom teeth - has she had them out. I remember my teeth were impacted and they did not hurt but they obiliterated my appetite.

Good luck, investigate some more and keep us posted.

Closed Thread