It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Leg pain during menstruation, and other symptoms

I've noticed the last two months my LEFT leg has started hurting the day I started my period. It hurts from my hip, all the way down to my foot. It feels swollen in my calf, but isn't really apparent, although my left calf is a little bigger than the right. The pain is a burning, aching and sometimes even pinching pain. Last month it went away on day 4 of my cycle, but this month I'm only on day 2 so I don't know yet.

Here's a little background info also:
For 16 months I've had abdominal/flank/lower back pain on the RIGHT side. I also have diarrhea often, but only one time a day. I've had an abdominal u/s which was normal, pelvic u/s which just showed my right ovary had a follicular cyst and a CTscan which showed my right ovary was 4.2 cm. larger than my left (just found this out. My CT scan was in Sept. and I was told it was normal). My pain is not always around my period, but sometimes starts a few days before. Has lasted 3 months straight, or just a few days, and has been gone for up to 2 months straight. Sometimes sex hurts, sometimes, on my period, I bleed a little rectally. I was told that's from internal hemmorhoids.
I have irregular cycles, and was told at an exam last June that my RIGHT ovary felt full (never really knew what that meant). My OB-GYN said there is a chance I had endometriosis, and put me on the pill. I tried it for 1 1/2 months, but gained weight and felt bad, so I quit. My GP said it's IBS and prescribed me an antispasmodic, but I haven't seen a GI doctor yet. My old GP said there was nothing wrong with me and it's anxiety!!! So sick of the docs just throwing meds at me. I want a laproscopic, but they refuse to do it. They say they don't do that to diagnose endo anymore, just put you on the pill and if it helps, it's endo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Re: Leg pain during menstruation, and other symptoms

I'm gonna bump this as it's almost to page 2!!
Anyone who has any insight or similar problems?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User

I also get weird symptoms a few days before my peroid, i will get cramping (almost like peroid cramps) in my palms, feet, and leg pains like you said, its soo weird! i just got these symptoms this year. i havent asked a doctor about it because it doesnt last a long time. i dont know about the other info you gave on your post, i just know the pains you get are similar to mine. i had an ultra sound on my ovaries because i had abdominal pain, i had some cysts but the gyno says its very normal to have little ones like mine and there was nothing wrong. so it is my digestive system, i have a very irritable stomach. but i dont have an answer for you as to what it is, i just wanted to say i get it too, its really weird!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

heartsown HB User

This might be Sciatic Endometriosis. It is not common, so there are many doctors unfamiliar with it.

With this condition, endometriosis grows near or on the sciatic nerve. During menstruation, the endometriosis becomes inflamed, thus putting pressure on the nerve. It causes pain from your buttocks down the back of the leg to the foot. I have had this sciatic leg pain for about 3 years now- only during my period, and just recently discovered this diagnosis.

Apparently, the duration of the pain increases over time, to the point of permenant nerve damage- and thus permenant pain. Definitely ask your doctor if this could be a possibility.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

It does sound like either endometriosis or Sciatic endo. Either way, you'll need a lap to diagnose you. And your doc is wrong, they only throw the pill at your because they don't want to open you up. I had one doc who did this and he told me it was most likely endo. I went to another doc and told them how much pain I was in. Well, she didn't hesitate. Opened me right up and there it was! She told me a lot of doc don't perform the laparoscopy as often, and some won't do it in a patient under 35 (I dunno why), but that it is the only way to diagnose you and find out the extent of the endo. And they can burn it off while in there.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

heartsown HB User

What I was told by my doctor is that if it is Sciatic Endometriosis, the way to help it would be to (1) cut off the estrogen (which feeds endo) and to (2) stop menstruation (which inflames the endo, thus putting pressure on the sciatic nerve). If these 2 things work, you then have both a diagnosis and a treatment. I am actually going in next week for a Depo-Provera shot to try to accomplish this. I am leary, having read lots about the negative side effects, but after much contemplation I feel I have to do something. Depo-Provera stops ovulation and your period.

It sounds like you may have endo, not just on the sciatic nerve, but other places as well (given your many symptoms). According to my doctor, the only way for the pill to work is by taking it continuously, without the 7-day placebos. You would take the first three weeks of pills and then go on to another pack. This way, you would stop your period. The negative about the pill is that it doesn't stop the estrogen- at least I think this is what was communicated to me. Definitely double check this all

Concerning surgery, this is an option with typical endo, but not so much with sciatic endo. Because it would be near, on, or around the sciatic nerve, the surgery would be quite risky. Starving the endo and keeping it from getting infamed is the better option (again, according to my doctor). My doctor even mentioned that sometimes the endo will reduce or diminish all together if it is not being fed.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

I just posted about sciatic nerve type pain and my period. So, there is a connection? Is it because I have had scaitica in the past and when the period comes on it irritates it? This is so uncomfortable! Are there any health threats if it goes untreated? I am not familiar with Sciatic Endo. I have had my tubes tied for years and I'm not sure if I would really have the endo or not. Not too familiar with that either I guess.

Closed Thread