It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

helen77 HB User
yeast infection..please read

hiii i have a quick question.. i have a yeast infection and i was wondering if the myth of dipping a tampon into yogurt and placing it in your vagina actually works? did anyone ever hear of this and does it workk? i want to try it but im scared it will make it worse or somethingg..please respond quick =]

Old 04-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Re: yeast infection..please read

I don't know if that works...but I know yogurt does have something to do with making yeast infections better. I thought you just consumed it normally and it would help.

When I had my yeast infection I bought Monistat 7-day treatment at the drugstore and it was just what I needed. There's a tube and you insert whatever it is that comes with it.

Try doing a search on this site for yeast infections because I think I remember reading something about using yogurt. But really, if you can, I would just buy something from the drugstore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

I agree with buying from the drugstore comment, as it would probobly be more effective.

'Live' yogurt can help restore the bacteria in the vagina and can help in this way with Thrush..you wont harm yourself by trying and it could do some good...use plain live yogurt though.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Live yogurt works prior to having a yeast infection but it doesn't actually treat or stop the infection in its tracks. It may relieve some of the itching though.

Buy monistrat or canisten from your pharmacist and use for 7 days. This will clear it up.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I don't know about a tampon dipped in yogurt but I do know that spoooning it in will take care of the itching. At least in my case. You have to lay down and put a pillow under you so that the yogurt will not fall out.

Keep it there for as long as you can before you get annoyed and then you can shower as it falls out.
Now that I think about it I suppose the tampon would be a better way to go and less annoying.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Inserting any type of food product in your vagina will only make you get another type of infection. You need to use medications USED and recommended by doctors for a yeast infection......not yogurt.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

helen77 HB User

thankss everybody for the responsess =] and i have one more question.. is having sexual intercourse while having a yeast infection bad? or will it not make a difference.. just wondering

Old 04-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Like I said it worked for me and it is used by midwives. Inserting yogurt does not cause a yeast infection.
Just to be sure I searched the possibilty of it causing a yeast infection and foind nothing. I found the just the opposite. You can search it.
If you are using any OTC products you can not have sex while using it. I was not sure about having sex with a yeast infection so I searched that to and found that a woman "probably" won't transmit a yeast infection to her partner during sex. He may experience some itching, but the organism of yeast infections doesn't grow on dry skin (like the shaft of the penis): the yeast organism thrives mostly in warm, moist environments. Sex may aggravate the woman's symptoms (redness, burning and itching), but it won't worsen the underlying condition.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
(female)

helen77 HB User

okayy thank you so muchh. i took monistat3 for 2 nights and im all better tonite so i wont be using it again because its annoying and uncomfterble.. hopefully that wont cause the yeast infection to come back right away will it?

Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You did not use the Monistat3 long enough. It takes time to completely clear a yeast infection. You used it long enough to get some relief but not long enough to cure.

Do not be surprised if in about 3 days the yeast is in full swing again.

Yes, using meds for yeast is a bother, but that is the only way to get rid of the yeast.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
(female)

alison927 HB User

I've had great success using probiotics (acidophilis, etc.) alone. They're found in yoghurt but you can buy them as supplements in powder form. Make sure you when you buy them that they are in the refrigerated section of your health food store. Mix the powder with water. I use a syringe without the needle to administer like a douche. I've only had to do this once, but it worked after 2 applications.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen77 View Post
thankss everybody for the responsess =] and i have one more question.. is having sexual intercourse while having a yeast infection bad? or will it not make a difference.. just wondering

If you don't use a condom your partner may get the infection. In men its usually non-symptomatic so he wont know he has it. I think you can have intercourse with a yeast infection but it might be uncomfortable for you.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #13
(female)

helen77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
You did not use the Monistat3 long enough. It takes time to completely clear a yeast infection. You used it long enough to get some relief but not long enough to cure.

Do not be surprised if in about 3 days the yeast is in full swing again.

Yes, using meds for yeast is a bother, but that is the only way to get rid of the yeast.
i used it for 2 full nights and the 3rd night i used a little more then half of it..so do u think it will come back now.. its been 3 days..also i still hav the other half of the monistat thing left so culd i use it now?

Last edited by helen77; 04-16-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Definitely continue using the med. It takes a at least a week or longer to cure yeast infections. It is not unusual to use treatment for 2-3 weeks in order to completely cure.

Yeast can lay dormant for a little while and spring back up active again. I have been the yeast queen of the world for over 50 years. Definitely do not have sex during this time because your husband can get the yeast infection but have no symptoms and them transfer yeast back to you again.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

It's possible to pass it to your guy during intercourse, but it's unlikely. If he does get infected, he may experience painful urination or have an irritated penis or scrotum. It's also possible, though very rare, to transmit the infection during oral sex, which would be indicated by a sore throat, burning on the lips or tongue, or whitish spots inside the mouth (known as thrush)

EDIT : I have yest infections all the time. I never use a condom mainly cause condoms "GIVE" me a yeast infection, and my finace has never caught one from me.

Last edited by Jenteal; 04-16-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Closed Thread