It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

camina HB User
Exclamation No Period For Months!!!

Hi everyone! Thank you for viewing

I am getting very frustrated, nonetheless very worried, because I have not had my period for months. It's been at least 4 months...i've stopped counting, honestly! I'm still a virgin so I know that I am not pregnant. Does weight have anything to do with it? I'm 180 lbs and about 5'3...i've recently gained about 5 pounds due to stress with exams etc. The only other thing I can thing of is...about 2 years ago I was on the acne pill Accutane. I don't know if that effects anything with menstrating? Do any of you know if it does?

What should I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated, ty!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
(female)

lovenatasha HB User
Re: No Period For Months!!!

Both weight and stress can have a lot to do with it. I've gone for 6 months without having one. If you are really concerned go to the doctor as it could be something more severe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Your body probably produces too much testosterone and/or not enough estrogen. This happens to many physically active females in sports.

Last edited by JinL; 04-14-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
(female)

camina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenatasha View Post
If you are really concerned go to the doctor as it could be something more severe.
Do I just ask for a blood test ?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

marinewife12 HB User

Call your doctor and tell them you need an exam. That's usually one thing that would tell them what's going on. And when you get to the exam, explain to the doctor your problem.

It may be something like an infection, which can mess with your cycle. Or you might be encouraged to lose some weight, as being overweight or underweight can have a lot to do with your cycle. Maybe it's just your hormones in general, in which case they would probably start you on some medication, birth control maybe.

Your doctor will know what to test for. But if it's gone on this long, I'd have it checked out.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
(female)

camina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife12;2***043
Call your doctor and tell them you need an exam. That's usually one thing that would tell them what's going on. And when you get to the exam, explain to the doctor your problem.

It may be something like an infection, which can mess with your cycle. Or you might be encouraged to lose some weight, as being overweight or underweight can have a lot to do with your cycle. Maybe it's just your hormones in general, in which case they would probably start you on some medication, birth control maybe.

Your doctor will know what to test for. But if it's gone on this long, I'd have it checked out.
I know I need to lose weight...that's on my list of " to do's "...In fact, as a start, I'm looking for a treadmill.

The only thing is, I'm scared to go to the doc... If I could just have a blood test and be done with it I am fine with that. Do you think a blood test will determine my problem?

Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Why are you scared to go to the doctor? If you find a good one, you will learn so many things about yourself, they can be very helpful.

A blood test may or may not find a solution. It depends on the results, of course. You may have PCOS, many who have it are overweight, and then you'll probably need to have an ultrasound, but that's no big deal.

I recommend going to a doctor for two reasons. First, hopefully you'll get the answers you're looking for and they won't be too big of a deal. Second, it'll relieve some of your stress and you won't have to have this on your mind all the time. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

marinewife12 HB User

You could ask your doctor, but I honestly can't tell you if blood tests will figure it out. He or she may have to do a pelvic exam.

I know it's nerve wracking and somewhat weird. But I promise, the doctors have seen EVERYTHING. Nothing you have is going to surprise them. It doesn't take long at all, there's typically a female nurse present, and sometimes it's the ONLY way to figure out what's going on. If it's an infection, that's the way he'll figure it out. Plus, if you've never been to the gyn before, and you're 18 or over, then it's really something you should be doing on an annual basis regardless.

I swear, you'll feel much better if you figure out what's going on. Bite the bullet and make the appointment. Honey, it's not that bad. I swear!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

camina HB User

Pelvic Exam...that sounds scary! Yes I am over 18..I'm 19. No, I haven't been to a gyn...ahhh, life is slowly creeping on me. I really have to get the balls to go to the doc and see what's up. I really appreciate everyone's responses. I will keep you posted, thank you!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

A pelvic exam might sounds scary but it's really not all that bad. It's kinda like spreading your legs and saying "aaah", like when the dr examines your throat.

Ask the dr to talk to you through the exam. Have them tell you what they're going to do before they do it and why. That might help. There will also be a nurse present. Ask to hold her hand. Don't be afraid to ask for what you think you need. Just relax, take a deep breath, think pleasant thoughts and it'll be over before you know it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Closed Thread