It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Laparoscopy or Laparotomy surgery what to expect

Has anybody had a laparoscopy or laparotomy?I have to have this surgery in a few days they want to start with a laparoscopy and if needed a laparotomy(hope not)But I was wondering if anybody can help me to know what to expect from the minute i get there to going home.Thanks

Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
(female)

DQGal HB User
Re: Laparoscopy or Laparotomy surgery what to expect

Hi Savanannastar!

You didn't say what you are going in for surgery for? I had a laparoscopy a year ago for a ovarian cyst (the Dr. found Stage 4 Endo. also!). It was a very simple surgery for me; but I do well w/that stuff so everyone is different.
But honestly, here's what happens usually: you will likely get general anesthesia and then the Dr. inflates your belly with gas to see organs,etc. Then they use a scope (a SMALL incision 2 belly button), to look at your insides and do any procedures (like mine, drain the cyst and cauterize endo, etc.). Then once they are done, they deflate the gas and close any incisions (usually absorbable stitches) and then you recover from anesthesia,etc. My whole surgery took like an hour, then recovered about an hour and got to go home afterward. I have heard many people say that they get pain in their shoulder from the gas that lasts 1-2 days, but if you use a heating pad it should help w/that. If you are worried about the anesthesia, ask about getting a anti-nausea drug along with the general anesthetic. I did great, but just giving you advice if you are nervous. It really was a good experience and you may be sore and VERY tired after, so just take it easy for a week! Good luck to you and let us know how everything goes! I hope I helped some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
(female)

savanannastar HB User

DQ..Thanks i am scared and worried about the pain,I am having the surgery for a mass they found in ovary not sure what it is just that it is big.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

declansmom HB User

I just had a laproscopy, hyteroscopy, and endo ablation two weeks ago. The surgery was not bad at all and i went home that night. I usally don't do well with surgery and the anesthetics. But I did not get nauseated or sick afterwards with this surgery. So yes, good point to ask for the nausea meds.

I had the procedure for severe endo and periods problems. My recovery was a little more intense becuase they found my appendix attached to my uterus due to the ahesions and had to cut. But my recovery was very painful the first three days. When I say I felt like a truck hit me, I really mean I felt like a truck hit me. I was extremly tired, sore and couldn't hardly get out of bed for about two days afterwards. I was on some stronge pain meds that did help a bit. Drinks lots of water to keep yourself hydrated, it helps rid your body of anethesia. But really, it was not like i needed to be in the hospital bad, just needed a lot of uninterrupted sleep, which I did not get with a two year old. It was not that bad if you can get enough rest. I still am a little fatigued and tired but my incisions are already healed and I just have to take it easy still.

You will do fine. The key is rest and water.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I had a laparoscopy back in 1997 for pain in my ovaries. They wanted to rule out endo. They found nothing I went home the same day slept till the next day and woke up feeling fine. I went back to work in 4 days. I was a bit swollen till some of the left other gases left but other than that I was fine. You can't even see the cut they did in my belly button. I was up and walking around shopping the next day. I don't recommend that you do that I just felt well enough that I could do this.

Good Luck hope all turns out fine!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Thanks guys it helps knowing what to expect.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
Wink Re: Laparoscopy or Laparotomy surgery what to expect

Hi, I had a laparoscopy about 3 weeks ago and the surgery was not bad, the general anesthesia made me vomit my meal (right after the surgerY) and felt a little naseous that night but that's normal, not all people vomit or get nauseous. When I got home I felt like sleeping but I felt A LOT better in the morning, I ate breakfast, didin't have any nausea but a bit of diahrrea and the following day i recovered completly, I even went to college.

Everything will be fine, good luck !

Closed Thread