It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User
marina coli for heavy bleeding

hi i have fibroids and anemia through havey bleeding,my doctor has advised me to have a marina coil fitted but i dont like the thought of it and it has such a bad repport, i need to do soemthing,becouse im loosing so much blood,every month,iv been taking iron tabs for six months but after my periods i feel so ill any advice please .shirley

Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: marina coli for heavy bleeding

I had a very large fibroid also, and I have to say that in all my visits with various doctors, none ever suggested the coil. Some suggestions were taking the pill, taking Cyklokapron or Cyclomen, having a hysteretomy, ablation or UAE, but never having a coil. (I had the UAE.) How is it supposed to help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

I have a Mirena for endometrios and heavy periods. In front of me is the patient insert given after the mirena is inserted. Under "Who Should Not Use Mirena?" is this:

""Do not use Mirena if you have a condition of the uterus that distorts the uterine cavity, such as large fibriod tumors."

You might want to get a second opinion before chucking out good money on something that may not work for you. Good luck.

Last edited by willo1980; 04-17-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi thanks for the replys,my doctor said the marina coil has a 98 percent success rate for slowing the bleeding down, something to do with the projestrion,(sorry about the spelling) the fibroid is on the backwall of my uterus,one doctor i went to see said she diddnt know if i could have the coil fitted becouse of where it is but the doctor who fits them said it would be ok,i am going to see her in the morning and see what she says,will keep you informed thanks shirley

Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

tab1967 HB User
Thumbs up Re: marina coli for heavy bleeding

Hi I used to have really heavy bleeding every month with flooding and large clots, i have tried various different tablets that worked for a little while then the bleeding returned. My doctor suggested the mirena coil and i was a bit worried about it as i have had problems with other implants before, however i have had my mirena for abour 2 1/2 years now and it has worked wonders for the bleeding, i do still have a heavy bleed about every 4 months but the rest of the time i have light bleeding for about 5 days and that is it. I have not suffered any other side affects or down sides from it. I also have fibroids, although im not sure if i had them when it was fitted, so for me the mirena has been great, no more aneamia or heavy bleeding twice a month.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

incognitogrl HB User

It was the opposite for me. I was on depo-provera for 6 years during which my period completely stopped. Then the NuvaRing which cause my periods to be 3 days long and delightfully light-flowing. Now on Mirena my periods have never been more frequent or heavy... I'm wearing maxipads for the first time since I was 11. It seems like it's different for different women, but I know my coil has turned my vaginal life upside down. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
(female)

deb20 HB User

hi...
i thought i would just share my experiance of the mirena coil.
i had it fitted 3 years ago for heavy bleeding.... it was great for that the bleeding almost stopped completely.
but please be very careful with other side effects....
i suffered with depression,weight gain(3st in 1 year), hair falling out,my pms doubled,fatique,no sex drive, spots (never suffered with them in my life).
my doctor at one point was so concerned that he sent me to a counsellor. none of the above was ever put down to the miriena.
i was at the point of total despair... when my best friend suggested i look the coil up on the internet.... oh my god !!! it was like a lifeline.... so many women all suffering the same symptoms......
i printed it all off and showed my Dr... 2 days lare i had it removed (no where near as bad as going in !!)
i had it out 18 months ago.... and i am nearly back to normal(weight has almost gone and thats without changing my diet)
please read up on this thing and make sure it is right for you.....
i know it helps lots of women... but there are a high number of us that it does not.....
i am not trying to scare you !!!! honest.
but if you have it then pls be aware that you might experiance side effects... and that they are not in your head !! as was suggested time after time with my Dr.
good luck and take care
debs x x

Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
(female)

fifisnowflake HB User

hi shirley,

I have had the marina coil fitted for 2 years now as a last bid for heavy bleeding and excrutiating period pain to stop before considering a hysterectomy (i am 28). At first i did feel as if the coil might not be for me, I do still bleed every month but not nearly as much and my pain when i have my periods is minimal. I have an ovarian cyst that still niggles and i think this is the main reason for my pain when menstruating.

I would recommend giving it a try, you can have it inserted under a general anaesthetic like i di if you feel very uncomfortable with the thought of having this inserted.

I have put on weight but only around 4lbs and i put this down to feeling happier as i no longer have the constant battle with my body about bleeding and pain.

Its worth a try, you could always have it taken out again if it doesnt suit.

Hope this has been of some use to you

Fiona x

Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi all should have got back sooner,re marina coil, went to see gyn,he said marina coil is not an option,becouse fibroid is in the uterus,and my womb is destorted,im having embolisation on tuesday, i cant believe my locome dr was willing to put coil in,when fibroid is in my uterus.shirley

Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Just goes to show it pays to get a second option.

Good luck with your embolization. I had one and it did wonders for the bleeding.

Closed Thread