It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

deracs HB User
Anyone had strip endometrial biopsy?

Just went to a new Dr. (mine retired) have had some slight/light spotting , am 51 yrs old. ~ she wants me to have a pelvic ulstra sound & the biopsy. Didn't really care for her & SHE HAS SCARED ME !!!!!!!!!!

anyone else had this type of biopsy? is it painful?

Old 04-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
(female)

kathyd HB User
Re: Anyone had strip endometrial biopsy?

I have had 2 abdominal and transvaginal ultrasounds in the last 8 weeks and they are really not painful. You will need to drink 40 ounces of water 1 hour prior to appointment time, then NOT urinate until after the test. They will do the abdominal first, then you will be allowed to empty your bladder. At this time they will have you insert the probe into your vagina. This gives the ultrasound tech a much closer picture of your ovaries and uterus. The uterine biopsy is unpleasant but not horribly painful. There is some pain involved but it lasts for less than a minute, so it is tolerable. This will tell your doctor if there are any cancerous or precancerous cells in your uterus. I have a large ovarian cyst and endometriosis, so the ultrasound is for my doctor to monitor any changes in size. A very large cyst poses a problem if it twists or ruptures. By the way, I am 47 and have not yet entered menopause, so the endometriosis is getting worse each month. I believe my doctor told me that endo usually gets better after menopause. Hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
(female)

kathyd HB User

I, too am seeing a new doctor as mine also recently retired. I live in St. Louis and I really like my new female doctor. I have had 2 abdominal and transvaginal ultrasounds in the last 8 weeks and they are really not painful. You will need to drink 40 ounces of water 1 hour prior to appointment time, then NOT urinate until after the test. They will do the abdominal first, then you will be allowed to empty your bladder. At this time they will have you insert the probe into your vagina. This gives the ultrasound tech a much closer picture of your ovaries and uterus. The uterine biopsy is unpleasant but not horribly painful. There is some pain involved but it lasts for less than a minute, so it is tolerable. This will tell your doctor if there are any cancerous or precancerous cells in your uterus. I have a large ovarian cyst and endometriosis, so the ultrasound is for my doctor to monitor any changes in size. A very large cyst poses a problem if it twists or ruptures. By the way, I am 47 and have not yet entered menopause, so the endometriosis is getting worse each month. I believe my doctor told me that endo usually gets better after menopause. Hope this helps you.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
(female)

deracs HB User

Thanks so much for the response! I've done a search on this board regarding this test & some say it is VERY painful. I'm pretty much a baby when it comes to any medical procedures & am dreading this. My appt. is next Thursday. I'm really nervous about the whole thing, but especially the results. My periods have been regular, I went off birth control pills in August after being on them for years. This was done to allow "nature" to take its course & hopefully start menopause. BUT ~ I've hade my period every month & just recently started with the spotting.

My daughter is getting married in August & this is supposed to be a fun/happy time for us . . . I pray everything will be o.k.

Thanks again for any encouragement.

P.S. ~ I live just out side Kansas City!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

Heidi07 HB User

I had my first endo biopsy just before Xmas last year because I was spotting mid-cycle and then I was diagnosed having the Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer gene which means I have 40-60% chance of having endo cancer. The geneticist wrote to the gyn saying because I was already having symptoms I should be screened.
The scans are mere inconveniences. Make sure you ask for the transvaginal scan if you are not given one. Here in UK, my scan appointments are separate and somtimes the nurses do not know what is required by the gyn. My biosy was painful but tolerable. Make preparations beforehand so you can rest and not move around too much afterwards. There could be slight bleeding afterwards. If you get cramp use a hot water bottle or similar to ease the discomfort.
The scans and the biopsy are good methods of detecting if there are anything sinister. Seems like you have a good doctor.
I am being closely monitored. I was booked to have another biopsy today but had to reschedule because my increasingly irregular periods is wrecking plans agains.
Hope everything goes well!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

kathyd HB User

deracs, Good Luck at the doctor's on Thursday. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know how you fared.

Closed Thread