It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

NikiPowPez HB User
recurrent BV?

Hello...I'm so glad I found this board. I have been reading through posts and have found posts with something similar to me, wondering if someone can maybe help.
I have been struggling for over a year now with BV. I didn't know I had it the first time until I went for my annual check up and my dr. told me. I didn't have any odor or symptoms or anything. She put me on metrogel. About 2 months after that I noticed a strange odor. Not a fishy odor, but not a nice one. And it was strong. I went back in, round of STD testing for piece of mind, all negative and she told me it was another "bv inflamation" and put me on dyflucan (sp?). Then about a month later...same odor...Flagyl prescription. A month later...same, more metrogel (which isn't covered by my insurance and $90 for a tube). Since then its been a monthly occurance. I have noticed that the odor worse about a week before my period and the week after. After 6 months of doctor and prescription bills I stopped going in. Somewhere in there I also contracted HSV-2 from my fiance. We were very careful but I still managed to contract it. I have only had one outbreak other than my first one. Back to the BV, I was using the metrogel after my period for a few days and it would clear it up until the week before my period again. I ran out of the metrogel and decided to look into different remedies. I have tried tea tree & douches.
I never had this problem before I started dating my fiance. About a month after we started dating I got a yeast infection and its just been downhill from there. The smell is usually much worse after sex and it doesn't smell like it to me but my fiance says it is a fishy odor. Could it be something with our "chemistry" thats causing it? It's really becoming annoying that I have about a week every month where I can have sex without worrying about the smell. Sorry if I am rambling, I'm just sooo frustrated. I'm so sick of it. I don't really have any symptoms other than the odor and an occasional white-ish discharge. I'm looking into anything that I might be able to try to be rid of this. I read someone mentioned something called rephresh for a yeast infection. Seeing that everything I have read about BV is that its caused by a ph imbalance, I think I might stop and get some on my way home from work. Any other ideas or tips on dealing/treating/curing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Niki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DNSX3 HB UserDNSX3 HB User
Unhappy Re: recurrent BV?

Oh you poor dear!!!I feell so bad for you, yet, Ive walked in your shoes before! NOTHING worked for me, I had BV for over a year! The Metrogel can cause a yeast infection,so can Flagyl.The only things that HONESTLY worked for me was, rePHesh vaginal gel ,and Acidillious taken daily. Both can be purchased at Walmart.It took a few days for it all to "click" and start working together,but it did happen.I hope you try these things. Yes, mens seman will lower your vaginal ph, whereas, rePHesh balances it! Good luck sweetie.I know it controls your mind, and makes you feel like poo.

The Following User Says Thank You to DNSX3 For This Useful Post:
cmg711 (08-13-2012)
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

jupe HB User
Re: recurrent BV?

your man needs to be treated. You need to find a dr that's not in denial too- most dr's feel- for whatever reason- men don't get this stuff- I'm living proof they do- I went through hell- pure hell- until I finally found a doc who believed! the man needs to be treated!!!!! once he takes his meds- you'll stop getting it!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I totally agree!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Douching does not prevent infection and may cause problems by destroying useful bacteria in the vagina which help keep the area healthy. The vagina is a self cleaning oven. If you wash away the good bacteria that's in it then you are allowing a breeding ground for any bacteria that is near by to enter and take over. Douching ups the chances of getting BV again.

When women have symptoms, they usually appear within 5 to 28 days of exposure to the bug that causes BV. 7.4 million "new" cases occur in men and women every year in the United States. Women who get thrush again and again more than four times a year is considered recurrent, sometimes are given pessaries as prevention. Pessaries is taken either twice a week, once a week or once a month over a three to six month period.

Yeast infection is passed back and forth but the woman is the one that starts the passing. the male usually does not get the infection. If the male does get it you can tell by his itching, red rash and burning at the head of his penis and then he has to be treated or he may give it back to you.

For some women bodily fluids especially the sperm changes the pH balance it the vagina and can cause BV. It's highly unusual for a man to get BV. It cannot be passed back and forth between partners. Males usually show no symptoms. The recurrence rate in women is the same whether their partners are treated or not. Women who have sex with men and have chronic BV may want to have sex using condoms to limit their exposure to semen (which can change the environment of the vagina).

If you have a yeast infection and douche that can lead BV. It all depends on the ph and bacteria balance in the vagina. Our pH balance changes on its own during the course of the month when whe douche have sex take pills antibiotics, medince, etc it throws it off even more.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-12-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

That was the best post Ive ever read on BV,and the most imformative too!!!!

Closed Thread