It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

brandy_bean HB User
Question UTI:Causes?

Hello,

I have a UTI/Bladder infection and I was wondering if anyone might have a guess as to what caused it.

I used ky jelly friday night during intercourse (which i had never before) and by saturday night the next day the aches began. I dismissed it, had unprotected intercourse again that night and by Sunday afternoon the aching was worse. So this morning I got anitbiotics and am drinking cranberry juice.

Could I have gotten the UTI from using ky jelly? From sex (he is clean, showers and free of everything)? Or from perhaps contaminated colliform tap water I may have accidentally drank while at the cottage?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User
Re: UTI:Causes?

UIT's have many causes. During sex bacteria in the vaginal area can be massaged into the urethra by the motion of the males penis.Waiting to long to urinate causes the bladder to stretch beyond its capacity and over time it may weaken the bladder muscle. When that happens the bladder is weakened and has a hard time completely emptying which can cause urine to be left in the bladder. That can increase the risk of UTI's.
Wipe from front to back after a bowel movement or urination. Washing before and after sex may also decrease a woman's risk of UTI.
Drinking plenty of water each day will help flush bacteria out of the urinary system along with emptying the bladder as soon as you feel the urge. Doctors say urinating before and after sex is good for flushing out any bacteria that may enter the urethra during sexual intercourse.
I can't take baths cause it causes me to get a UTI and I can't drink oj any more for the same reason.

Last edited by Jenteal; 04-17-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

brandy_bean HB User

Really? So oj and baths can be casues too? Wow, cause me and my BF had a bath together with bubbles friday night before having intercourse. Hmmm. Lots of reasons I suppose.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Urinate before and after sex....whether oyu think you "need" to or not.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Ever since my doctor told me to urinate I at least try to pee before sex. I kinda can tell or get the feeling when my finace is about to initiate sex so I go to the bathroom then so I don't kill the mood. Alot of times it's just a little bit that comes out but something always comes out. Afterwards I faithfully go to the bathroom and I usually always have alot of urine that comes out. I think all that pushing stimulates the bladder. At least in my case it is. With a wash cloth I clean up with warm water. Since then my UTI's have been cut drastically. Along with no more bath and OJ. Oj has to much acid in it and my bladder doesn't like it. I am sure that for most people this is not the case.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I agree with everything Jenteal has mentioned.

I went to Disney World a couple years back and came home with a nasty UTI. I hadn't even had sex on vacation (too friggin exhausted every day, LOL). I showered twice a day at least. I couldn't figure out why I'd gotten it. Then my family doc figured it out. I'd had my period a good portion of the trip, and while I ALWAYS wash my hands after using the restroom, I hadn't before I used the restroom. So there I was, my hands all germy from a theme park, and I was handling a tampon before I'd put one in. So now, even at home while I have my period, I always wash my hands before I use the bathroom and handle any tampons or pads, as well as after.

I don't think the KY caused it. Irritation or itching? Possibly, yes, but doubtful it caused a UTI -- figure doctors have been using the stuff for years. I think it was the bubble bath and/or not urinating before and after sex.

A good rule of thumb is to remember that urine is sterile. So you want to pee anytime you want to sterilize things down there (before and after sex).

Best of luck getting this knocked out. Sometimes it takes a few rounds of antibiotics. A lot of women still have symptoms for months after the infection is killed. Try not to be alarmed. It's usually just inflammation of your bladder and plumbing. You might also be susceptible to UTIs in the future now -- take extra care in that regard.

Feel better soon

Old 04-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

A year or so back I was having monthly UTI's. A naturopath told me to drink warm water with a capful of apple cider vinegar in it every morning and since I've been doing that, no UTI's.

Closed Thread