It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

2005djb HB User
Post Surgery - Hyst/Bladder Lift

I'm 5 months post surgery. I have problems (since surgery) with my right side. I think the bladder sling has partly detached on my right side. I was told to do normal activities (except lifting) after 6 weeks so I started walking on my treadmill. I think it was to soon. I felt I was misdirected. Since that I've had pain and discomfort on my right side. I've seen my gyn 3 months after surgery because I was in severe pain (couldn't stand) and he snipped calcifications off. I had to see him every two weeks for 1 1/2 months. He could not find my discomfort, did ultrasounds and physical exams. Threw his hands up in the air and said I would have to get another opinion (basically washed his hands from my problem!!! )

So I called my family phy. and she referred me to a urologist. Saw him twice, 1st visit I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and given an antibiotic for 14 days. Felt somewhat better then, but still had this nagging side ache/pain. Did a cystoscopy nothing found. He said I had to go back to my gyn who did the surgery. I knew I couldn't go back because he couldn't help me anylonger, he said So the urologist suggested I seek out a urogynologist. Found one nearby and made an appointment. He did an exam, poked my once where my pain was and told me he would get the operation notes. He described the surgery to me in great detail and said that it could be a stitch irratating my pelvic area causing inflamation. He said this type of surgery is considered Major Reconstructive Surgery and can take 6-9 months to heal. Had to go back in two weeks. Returned, reviewed notes on surgery, said everything in the notes look good that perhaps I need physical therapy for my pelvic region. Suggested another place to go. Haven't gone because I really feel strongly that it's detached itself and I need it fixed.

Now I can hardly move comfortably...I can feel my bladder wiggle, like a water balloon and it seems to hit my pelvic causing constant pain. It also feels like it's falling out, through the vagina. I can't cough, sneeze, laugh without pain. I'm having trouble driving because moving my right foot for gas/brake causes discomfort. I'm now having touble sleeping because I can't find a comfortable position.

What more can I do. Last night I decided to go back to my gyn. and insist that he fix this. I'm getting depressed and need it fixed. It's really effecting my quality of life! Need some guidance please. ANYONE!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
(female)

Triple777 HB User
Re: Post Surgery - Hyst/Bladder Lift

Hi, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. You have every right to be angry! I would either go back to your family phy or find another doctor who will listen to you. The doctor who told you that it takes 6-9 months to heal is right, and even at that, it can take longer. I have had chronic lower abdominal pain at 6 months. I have to wear a back brace support that supports my lower back and abdominal area or I get in a lot of pain doing almost nothing. However, I don't think it's normal to have that much pain and you need to keep looking until you find someone that will listen. Maybe an MRI would give you more conclusive results? Maybe your family doctor could set you up for that?

Good luck to you, keep us posted. Hugs.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

2005djb HB User

Thanks for responding YouAreNotAlone;

I have had several tests, MRI included. It just showed the urologist that I have a slight cystecele (which was supposed to be fixed). I was also tested for a hernia (because that area is where most women have hernia's the urogynocologist said) and nothing showed up. The pressure/feeling of my organs falling out is daily and awlful. I think the surgery needs to be done again.

I remember at my 5 wk checkup that the Doctor had a surprised look on his face when he notice that I have a slight rectocele too (which wasn't repaired).

I too have lower back pain. I was thinking that was because I haven't been active enough to keep toned muscles. I'm feeling weaker because I can't do anything. Told my husband that I'm gonna try some of the chair exercises just to try to stay stronger. I was trying to walk on my treadmill, but for two to three days after a 30 minute walk I was suffering.

I can't seem to find much on the cystecele/rectocele surgerys. Does that mean they are usually a success?

I'm seeing my gyn (the doc that did the surgery) on Tuesday 4/24. I hope he can help me this time! I also have a breast lump (had it before). I think it's stress related. I'm only 49 yrs. old (will be 50 in June). I'm too young to have to go through this stuff!

I read your situation back in October. How awful. Wishing you get better soon too. Thank you for responding!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Hi thanks for your message. Ok, I see you already had the MRI. I searched for rectocele and found information about it on the Mayo Clinic website. Have you come across that yet? It could be why you are experiencing all the pain and discomfort. They describe non-invasive and then surgical remedies. The surgery "sounds" like it corrects the problem, but they also talk about using mesh in one type of surgery which I have heard can cause more problems. Stay away from that. Are you taking any estrogen? They also mention that as one of the therapies to help strenghen your vaginal tissue and surrounding tissues. Just search for rectocele and Mayo Clinic. It also states that a rectocele can be caused from a hysterectomy. Nice, huh?

The reason that many women have back pain also after this is done to them is because major ligaments that support your back and pelvic structure are severed. It weakens your pelvic structure. I have also not been able to do much exercise because of pain, and I think it would help, but it's hard to do something that increases pain. I have so much pain and pressure in my lower abdominal area that it's hard to do much, but the back brace is helping. I am going for walks and using the brace, but I continually get pain and bulging in my abdomen. It's awful.

Good luck with your doctor, but keep in mind that he may have done that damage by performing the hysterectomy. Maybe that's why he had the surprised look on his face? And they don't often know how to fix anything either. Keep us posted.

Hugs

Old 04-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
(female)

2005djb HB User

Hi YouAreNotAlone;

Thanks for doing that research. I do remember reading the Mayo Clinic on rectoceles. No I'm not on estrogen. I really don't want to add any other problems to the mix.

I'll see what my gyn says on Tuesday.

I'm a golfer...tried to golf and can't, cried. I can't believe this is happening to me. Am I physically limited now????

Do you think it will get better for you? Are you feeling better every month?

My urogynocologist says I should feel better in 1 year from surgery. Claime it takes that long for total healing. He also had me cough and bear down to check my rectocele and he didn't seem too concerned about it (that was about 3 weeks ago). Also, suggested I see a physical therapist. I'm not sure what to do.

I'll check back later! Thanks for listening to me whine.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Hi djb:

I don't blame you for not wanting to add anymore problems by taking drugs. None of it is good for us, but they did mention something else besides estrogen too. And short of taking them, there is cream and vaginal rings that are not nearly as risky as taking it orally. It's all just a big mess really. No good answer.

You're not whining. It is terrible all the pain you are going through. I can just imagine how horrible the golfing experience was for you. I'm so sorry. It does take a long time to recuperate and who knows how long it will take? I hope I feel better some day, but no, I have not felt better every month. I actually started getting more pain in January. I just twisted and it seemed like it pulled something and since then I've had chronic pain. If I twist or strain it gets worse, but it's hard just to sit and watch TV most of the time it's so uncomfortable. I find myself laying down a lot. It's awful.

I guess time will tell, huh? I guess it's different for everyone. I don't know if a physical therapist would help. So many ligaments have been severed that it seems the more you do, the more pain it would cause. I have been going for walks, not wanting to over do it in anyway, but at least get some exercise.

I really hope you can get some relief soon! Good luck Tuesday.

Many Hugs!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
(female)

2005djb HB User

Update on my doc visit.

He checked me and said that my urethera is at an angle. Maybe that is some of the constant side pain I'm experiencing? Anyway he wants to do another test called "Urodynamic testing". A 45 min. test, catheter inserted into the bladder to evaluate bladder function, muscle function and capacity. Not sure what that has to do with the angled urethera? 5/3/07 is the test.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Good question. Maybe if it's on an angle, it's creating a lot of pressure? I also wonder what the doctor would propose depending on the test results?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
(female)

2005djb HB User

Well I went for that test yesterday. Was at the doc's office for 1 1/2 hours. The nurse had trouble inserting the catheter, had to lift my bladder manually with a cotton swab. Then the nurse stopped the test because it took 1 hour to empty my bladder and I had enough fluid (larger then an IV Bag) to be voided. She was very concerned. Left to let the doc know and then stopped the test and wants me to go see another doc (urologist). The possible diagnosis is neurogenic bladder???? What the heck is that all about. I had them make an appointment then on my drive home I was getting madder and madder, then I started to cry. How many more appointments will I have to go to???? I just got off the phone with my doctor (gyn) and he really feels that this urologist is really good and he really wants his opinion. Then they can put their heads together to see what the right approach for my discomfort should be. Next Thursday @ 10:00. Dang it, when will it end!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Hi djb:

I'm so sorry about what you're going through, it's just awful. I would be infuriated too. I was reading about neurogenic bladder. Geez. Did you have any of those problems before surgery? Maybe this urologist can shed some light on what's going on. Bladder and bowel problems are common complaints after a hysterectomy because they are both displaced when the uterus is removed. My SIL's mother had a prolapsed bladder and she went to a doctor to suspend it. Instead of suspending it, he just removed her uterus and nothing changed. Her bladder was still pushing on her pelvic floor where you could see it from the outside hanging down. She finally found a good doctor some years later and they went in and fixed it and now she doesn't have any problems. Hang in there. If you don't get the right answers from this urologist, then go to another one.

My heart goes out to you! Hugs.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
(female)

2005djb HB User

Well, I saw the urologist yesterday. No good news. I'm still not emptying my bladder (had 5 cc. still in there after going) Doc said that it's been only 6 months since surgery and my bladder has to be re-trained???? WHAT? I have to sit longer and wait longer before going.

Doc said that the right ache I have is probably scar tissue forming around the bladder sling and that it gets hard. That ache may or may not go away, but I should at least wait for the 1 year from surgery date to see if it's still there.

As far as my trouble empting my bladder he sent me home with a disposable catheter, lube and instructions to self-catheter myself twice a day. I am not at all comfortable with that! He didn't seem concerned about the angle of my urethra either! He didn't seem concerned that it my gyn. thought it could be a urogenic bladder (thank goodness). Follow up in 3 months.

I don't think I can do it (catheter myself).....just can't. I'm gonna take my chances and hope I don't get bladder infections and hope that the pain will go away in a few more months. I can't believe this is happening!

I woke up this morning and I want to have a different attitude, stop thinking about it for at least 3 months. Just live with any pains and restirctions I have and just forget about it. I'm tired of the worry and I'm tired of doctors!

Last edited by 2005djb; 05-11-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Hi djb:

Ulgh, my heart goes out to you. Retrained? If that's the case, it would be good. Hopefully a little more time will show improvement. I've heard of that before, that it can get better. Maybe some nerves need to regenerate.

I don't blame you about the catheter. Is it even possible to use the catheter on yourself? Seems like that would be difficult because you would need to be able to see what you're doing???

Wishing you the best. Hang in there girl!

Hugs!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
(female)

Gina68 HB User

I don't know if this will help but I was told by my ob doc that sometimes the fimbria can cause pain because they sometime will adhere to the vagina and cause pain. THis was mentioned when I was reviewing my lab report post surgery (2 weeks out). My doctor had the foresight to remove mine. I had the TAH and MMK. Its now been 5 weeks and I have slight pain on left at times but it is not dibilitating. However, I think I have screwed up my bladder.
I caught myself lifting several times at around three weeks. Does anyone know the implications of doing this before 6 weeks?

Last edited by Gina68; 10-03-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: incorrect initails for procedure

Old 07-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
(female)

Kelly Nagy HB User

how long does a operation take for a full hysterectomy and bladder lift and it
not being done vaginally I'm being cut open.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
(female)

jill60 HB User

Mine took 3 hrs. & it was done vaginally.

Jill

Closed Thread