It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

VinceraVivere HB User
A Semi-urgent problem

Hey there, this is my first time posting here, I'm Sarah. I've been having some issues and need advice.

I had my period and unwittingly used scented tampons, not realising what they were.

A few days ago, I thought I'd stopped my period. However, I think I had an allergic reaction to the tampons - I'm swollen, itchy, and SORE down there. It's mostly superficial but it feels sore and itchy up to maybe 2 inches in or so?

I would think it's a yeast infection or something, but the only problem is I have no whitish discharge or anything - I'm actually still bleeding, albeit irregularly. The itching has gone on for almost two days now, and the irregular not-my-period bleeding for that long as well.

The bleeding has been worrying me, because I'd been doing it for about a week and a half or two weeks before my period as well. But it's not normal blood - it's almost black in colour, and more clottish than my normal period, which is bright red. And it's continued for a while now.

MY mother bought me some Monistat, but I'm hesitant to use anything besides the external creams and wipes, because they said not to use it if you've never been diagnosed with a yeast infection before, and I don't even know if that's what this is. So would it hurt to go ahead and use the inserts anyways, or should I call my doctor?

Also, I've been off my birth control for about two months; this was my second period without it. Would that affect the bleeding maybe?

Thanks in advance for any replies...and sorry for the long post! I'm just kinda freaked out and VERY uncomfortable.

Last edited by VinceraVivere; 04-21-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DNSX3 HB UserDNSX3 HB User
Talking Re: A Semi-urgent problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceraVivere View Post
Hey there, this is my first time posting here, I'm Sarah. I've been having some issues and need advice.

I had my period and unwittingly used scented tampons, not realising what they were.

A few days ago, I thought I'd stopped my period. However, I think I had an allergic reaction to the tampons - I'm swollen, itchy, and SORE down there. It's mostly superficial but it feels sore and itchy up to maybe 2 inches in or so?

I would think it's a yeast infection or something, but the only problem is I have no whitish discharge or anything - I'm actually still bleeding, albeit irregularly. The itching has gone on for almost two days now, and the irregular not-my-period bleeding for that long as well.

The bleeding has been worrying me, because I'd been doing it for about a week and a half or two weeks before my period as well. But it's not normal blood - it's almost black in colour, and more clottish than my normal period, which is bright red. And it's continued for a while now.

MY mother bought me some Monistat, but I'm hesitant to use anything besides the external creams and wipes, because they said not to use it if you've never been diagnosed with a yeast infection before, and I don't even know if that's what this is. So would it hurt to go ahead and use the inserts anyways, or should I call my doctor?

Also, I've been off my birth control for about two months; this was my second period without it. Would that affect the bleeding maybe?

Thanks in advance for any replies...and sorry for the long post! I'm just kinda freaked out and VERY uncomfortable.
From what I know I would guess you got a yeast infection from the scented tampons, any product with fragerance throws you PH off "down there".I would use the Monistat!!!See if it relieves the problem.Black blood is just old blood,completely normal,especially if you recently went off the pill.I would give it a few more days also.Good luck, hope I helped.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

VinceraVivere HB User
Re: A Semi-urgent problem

Yes, that did help. I was kinda worried about the black blood, good to know it's nothing abnormal!

So it can be a yeast infection without the white clumpy discharge? I just want to be sure (or as sure as a self-diagnosis can be) before using the Monistat because one of my friends said that if it isn't a yeast infection, I could end up "breeding myself a whole new super-resistant batch of yeast!" that would be very hard to get rid of if i DO have a yeast infection later on.

Bleh. This is miserable.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Yep, I had constant yeast for over a period of 5 years, and never ANY discharge,no signs at all,Just maybe swelling, and a litle soreness down there.Good luck!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

pooboo HB User

It sounds yeast to me as well. While I understand the worries of using the medication if it happens to not be yeast, using it one time should do no harm. Otherwise, you really need to see a dr... doing nothing is not going to cure it.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Just to add another tidbit of information, it's completely possible to have a yeast infection and not know it. Just because there are typical symptoms, like the discharge and such, doesn't mean you would always have them.

And I agree with the others that the scented tampons most likely did not agree with your system. It's most likely an allergic reaction to the tampons. I say, use the monistat and then see how you're feeling after a few days. If it's still itching and uncomfortable, then call your doctor. I find that over the counter monistat usually doesn't help me so I need the prescription strength stuff. It's more concentrated and works faster, in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
(female)

VinceraVivere HB User

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'ma call the doctor's office today to get a prescription or something; it's been going on since Friday and it hasn't let up any - it still burns, itches, and HURTS like nothing else. Worst of all, I can't call off work any more, and my work basically consists of nothing but walking around....fun. Bleh.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Keep me posted,,want to know.good luck

Closed Thread