It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Not Actively TTC Yet, But I Need Help on Eating & Possible Thyroid Issue

I am not actively trying for a baby yet, but since I've read that thyroid problems can deter conception, I'm kind of worried. But my periods are very normal and on a 28 day cycle.

I plan (and hope) of conceiving in the next 2 - 3 years. Lately, it was brought to my attention to check my thyroid.

I have these sensations maybe 2 or 3 times a year. My joints hurt for seconds at a time then go away. I have a hot/cold sensation down my leg (thighs to toes) 2 or 3 times a year and close to the day before my period starts, which made me think it might be just a lack of nutrients, since I often feel it days before my period and it goes away after a couple days. Days before my period I feel fatigued, but no heavy periods, actually by day four it's almost gone.

I take a multivitamin too. I also take folic acid every few days.
I was anemic from age 14, i'm thirty now. But I do not have any physical health issues like dizziness or other pain.

I am trying to keep my body as healthy as possible to get pregnant as soon as I can, but I don't know when yet. Could you give me some advice as to how to keep healthy, what to eat, if I do have thyroid issues, and how I could keep a healthy body for quick conception and afull-term baby? Until I have it all checked out. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
(female)

jobeth12 HB User
Re: Not Actively TTC Yet, But I Need Help on Eating & Possible Thyroid Issue

Hi CandP.

I have Graves disease (hyperthyroid) and it can effect pregnancy, so if you think you may have an issue you should get you TSH checked as well as your T3 & T4 levels.

I was told that having the Graves would most likely cause me to miscarry and on the other end of the spectrum if you are hypo, I think it can be more damaging to the fetus if your thyroid is not under control. My mom has Hashimotos (hypo). Do you know if anyone in your family has a thyroid problem as they are definitley genetic.

I actually do not have any big symptoms of my disease (although my metabolism seems to be faster), it was uncovered once I went to a reproductive endocrinologist and he tested my TSH (it was almost nonexistent <0.01). I am currently on medicine (PTU) to contol my levels.

Good luck with everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread