It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
(female)

Kas80 HB User
Help for my sister

Hi Everyone,

In a desperate search for some answers, I have decided to post here.

In December 2005, my sister's Pap Smear came back with abnormal results and it was subsequently found she had the highest level of abnormalities. After the initial treatment was not deemed a success, she underwent a cone biopsy.

Some time after this procedure, she found herself feeling continuously unwell, nauseaous and generally run down. Her period was also absent. It was eventually found that her cervix had closed over.

She has now had a number of operations in an attempt to dilate the cervix, the most recent on Friday (18 months later). She has not worked for 6 weeks due to severe pain in the abdominal area, although still having "good days" in-between.

At her last appointment with her GP, he indicated it could be cervical stenosis and that there could be a tumour in the cervix filling with menstrual blood - it was found that this was not the case. In fact, nothing was found during the procedure.

The concern now is not only for the pain but for her mental health - she has completely withdrawn into herself and is indicating she wants to die. Not having an answer is making the problem worse.

Does anyone have any ideas?? If so, I would love to hear any similar experiences.

Kas80

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Help for my sister

Dear Kas80,

I just happen to be up at this late hour and saw your post. I am a male, which gives me a limited perspective on your sister's set of problems. However, here is my extremely limited set of suggestions.

First of all, if these operations are not going to affect her pain relief in any way, she should try to see a Pain Management doctor--if that is available in your area. Most often, these doctors specialize in the treatment of long-term pain problems. In my case, however, my personal Internist treats my pain problems (due to Lupus) successfully.

Have you posted your sister's problem to the gynecology board? That might offer a different perspective. HOWEVER, THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD will give you their all when they try to help you!! So, please give the members here a couple of days to read the dilemma in your post. They will come through for you.

I wish you and your sister a better-focused journey. Please let any of us here know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I agree with Jon that she needs pain management. She should not have to wait for a diagnosis for pain relief. Also, I would highly recommend that she see someone about her depression and be started on anti-depressants. She is going through alot, and it's no wonder she is depressed. However, her depression needs to be treated as agressively as any other illness. Go ahead and insist that she start meds for depression ASAP as they can take several weeks to start helping. Make sure that there is someone around her and watch for warning signs such as feelings of hopelessness and helplessness. Both of these are red flags as they indicate someone at risk for suicidal thoughts and actions. Make her promise you that she will do A, B, and C if she has thoughts of suicide. Have a plan available.

For instance: A. She will call you if the depression and pain are too much to bear. B. She will call a crisis line and reach out for help. C. She will call 911 if she has thoughts of hurting herself.

I know this sounds dramatic, but depression is nothing to take lightly. She sounds like she needs intervention to treat her pain and depression NOW. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I pray that your sister finds answers, relief, and proper medical treatment for both her physical and emotional needs.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 04-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

With a Psych Eduacation background...I'd say, take her to crisis for THIS episode b/c she was VERBAL about ending her life. That's usually the Red Flag to bring the person in...it's a "calling out for help" sign.

AFTER she is STABLE with her Psych problem, I'd take her to see a different doctor about that pain. It should not be acceptable that they DO NOT have an answer. Also, while she is in the hospital for her crisis, they can take care of her pain, and get her to see someone during the stay, so she doesn't have to have severe pain while the doctors are working on her DIAGNOSIS.

Good Luck!!

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 AM   #5
(female)

Kas80 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your comments and advice here - much appreciated.

Working in mental health myself, particularly with people living with depression, the urgency of the situation was recognised quickly and she has been prescribed Zoloft.

Unfortunately, the surgeons made a mistake during her most recent operation and subsequently told her that the gas they use to inflate the stomach during the procedure got under her skin - this has caused severe nausea and illness, and one more thing to add to the list of issues and she has attributed the illness to the Zoloft entering her system.

This is a difficult situation but I do appreciate your support in this matter.

Conductor - thank you, I will post to the other forum you suggested and see what I can come up with.

Many thanks,
Kas80

Closed Thread