It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
Question Lupron Depot 3.75MG & NOrethindrone 5MG

Hi, ok my period just arrive today, I am planning to go to the doctor's office to start my treatment on lupron(3.75MG, the 1month shot) and (Norethindrone 5mg, she told me this is for avoiding the secondary effects of lupron?!)

I have a big federal test coming up soon(may 21) and I'm afraid to start this treatment(s) and that the secondary effects of the medicine will affect me during the 8 hour test.

What are the worst secondary effects of these drugs? I'm mostly concerned about the nausea/vommitting , headaches and especially DIAHRREA, has anyone experiece this sympton using this type of medication ???????

also I won't be having my period right?

thanks!!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
(female)

auj7189 HB User
Re: Lupron Depot 3.75MG & NOrethindrone 5MG

Hi. I got the 1-month Lupron shot on Oct 15, 2006. Two days later I had fairly bad pain on the right side of my stomach, but Advil took care of it. Since then (I've received the 3-month shot twice since then) I haven't had any side effects at all...other than gaining 10 pounds! So, I would recommend you be as active as you can and pay attention to what you eat!

In November I didn't have a period, but I did in December...very light and short. January I think was either zilch or spotting...now that I think about it I believe there was only activity in the afternoons Very weird. In February when I went in for my appointment, my doc was prepared to give me another shot but I didn't realize that was an option (I thought Lupron for fibroid tumors could only be used for three months and I'd already been on it 4 months), so we did an ultrasound first and then they didn't have the medicine available so I ended up getting my period. It didn't dawn on me that those slight cramping twinges that day were the beginning of a real period and soon I was in horrible pain. A co-worker actually took me home! By the time we left, though, I was feeling better (had taken Advil) and by the time we got to my house I felt fine...and stupid. Oh, well. What can I say, I hadn't had a real period for months!

Are you getting another shot next month? If you don't you WILL get your period again. (my diagnosis ) And yes, the Norethindrone does wonders. I didn't have any mood swings (any more than a normal stressed out 35-yr old would have, anyway) nor hot flashes. Actually, during the two weeks before my last shot when I wasn't under the influences of any drugs I think I did experience some slight hot flashes. Not like some women describe as wanting to strip off their cloths, but definitely warmer than I'm used to feeling. Typically, I run a heater at my desk most of the time, but during that week I was running it on "fan." My face would just get all hot. In a way it was kinda nice 'cuz I'm also anemic and always cold and we had a very cold winter, so an internal heater came in handy! My current treament ends sometime in May and I'm going to ask my doctor if I can continue the Norethindrone for another couple weeks to offset those symptoms. It'll be warm around here by then and i WON'T need that internal heater!

I'm rambling, but let me just add this. Are you anemic? I'm not sure if that's a deciding factor, but someone told me this week that the reason I've been spotting is because I've been taking Advil and it thinned out my blood and caused breakthrough bleeding. Not sure if that would be the case with someone who's not anemic, but you can never tell.

Good luck with your shot!!! I was terrified when I got mine and expected all of the bad side effects to overtake me. Now I'm facing getting iron by IV and the side effects of that seem even scarier! (I told my nurse today I want to try an herbal iron supplement first, so I've put off the needle for two more months...hopefully forever!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
Wink Re: Lupron Depot 3.75MG & NOrethindrone 5MG

Hi, thanks for taking your time to answer my question. All that I read in this forum is really BAD stuff about lupron so finally I read something that gives me the corage to go to the doctor's office. I am thinking of getting the shot after the test, actually the day after the test.

thank you so much!

Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

starissa HB User
Re: Lupron Depot 3.75MG & NOrethindrone 5MG

hi there, i was on the same exact 2 things your are. I only did 6 months worth of shots. It was a wonderful thing. I gained a little water weight that i have no lost again being off the shot now. Other then that the only side affect i had was some hotflashes which wasnt not a big deal for me. So wouldnt worry too much. Im also on seasonal so i dont have a period but every 3 months anyways. Good luck to you, it has help me so much with pelvic pain.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
(female)

earthdayapril22 HB User
Question Re: Lupron Depot 3.75MG & NOrethindrone 5MG

thank you starissa, my mother told me the same thing ( she was on lupron back in the 80's lol, and she told me she only had mild hot flashes...

but I read something about people experiencing memory loss?? is that true?

Closed Thread