It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

sosunny520 HB User
Urgent Question!

My boyfriend and I had sex and two days later I took the morning after pill. A week later I found out I was pregnant. Now I am having extreme pain in my lower abdomen and I am spotting/bleeding. I have seen four different doctors and nobody will give me a straight answer. They did blood work on me and my blood count went up, which indicated that I was still pregnant and not miscarrying. The cramping and spotting/bleeding has been going on for two weeks (basically since I found out I was pregnant) and just has gotten worse and worse... They did an ultrasound and saw the birthsac and everything... but I'm scared I am having a miscarriage. I go in tomorrow (Thursday) for more bloodwork and to find out if I am, but I just want to have a clue now. They told me that my nausea could be morning sickness, the pain could be implantation and the spotting is normal... why won't they give me a straight answer? Can anyone give me an idea?

Thanks!

Oh... could these problems be my body getting rid of the extra morning after pill hormones... could the pill have caused it?

Last edited by sosunny520; 04-25-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

marinewife12 HB User
Re: Urgent Question!

It's very true that the cramping and spotting and nausea can be a symptom of pregnancy.

The morning after pill is only effective up to 72 hours MAXIMUM after conception. This pill does what it is supposed to do (prevent/avoid pregnancy) in three different ways:

1. If you haven't ovulated yet, then your ovulation will be delayed. In other words, no egg. This way, the sperm have nothing to attach itself to.(Since you were already pregnant, there was no egg to begin with.)
2. Your normal menstrual cycle is interrupted. (Again, since you were already pregnant, not a chance.)
3. Your uteran lining is irritated. This is so that if an egg has already been fertalized, it won't be able to attach itself to the lining.

I think that if ANYTHING is happening, then it would be the third one. But since you were already pregnant when you took the pill, maybe it didn't work at all. Perhaps it was one of those things where the pregnancy hormones make the pill void.

That's all I can think of. Sorry I'm not more helpful. All I can say is that once they hear a heartbeat, then you can be completely reassured.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread