It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

absolutelyterri HB User
Abnormal pap results

It all started as being diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis off and on. I started to wonder why I suddenly was so prone to this particular infection. I would take Flagyl and the symptoms would temporarily go away, but they would always come back. I wondered if I had bad hygiene. Iíve had paps since this problem began, that came back normal, but this time it came back abnormal. I have an appointment to get a colposcopy done, and when I had asked over the phone what was wrong, the receptionest (who was very sweet by the way) told me that I had results for an abnormal pap. I read up on it, and apparently it could be a few things. HPV, dysplasias, cancers, etc. But here is the scary part. Most of what I read on was about the cervix. Now Iím no stranger to basic anatomy, the cervix is just right above the vagina, which means its still pretty superficial. Let me tell you all a little about my symptoms: I have pain on my lower left quadrant (what I feel to be near my ovaries, or fallopian tube). It has been a chronic pain for at least 1 Ĺ years to 2 years. I have watery discharge that smells foul, and burning from time to time, which seems to worsen from stress. When it burns, I often find myself washing my vaginal with water. I know this can be bad in excess, but it relieves it temporarily, and makes the ordor/burning go away. This is how I know it is very deep within me, because I washed away all the recent drainage, but more will be produced later. So anyway, I am terrified because how will a removal of any type of growths be preformed if it is so deep within? And it has been a few years, this means that it could be pretty bad. The lady over the phone told me not to worry its common etc, but I know the medical field. You let the doctor do the talking over serious stuff, and you never want to terrify a patient, or give them too much info over the phone. Could someone please tell me the possibilities. It makes sense that I have some type of growth there, but what scares me is I read that the watery discharge that is foul implies cancer, because after all, cancer contains a lot of necrotic tissue (and dying tissue smells). I will not get into the details of how terrified I am, or how I feel I did something sinful to deserve this (and I do). Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
(female)

SippyCup HB User
Re: Abnormal pap results

First of all--please don't make this about something bad that you have done to "deserve" this!! For one thing, that would mean all of us here did something bad to deserve it, and I know I didn't! Ok, all joking aside... it could be anything, and the stress you're putting yourself under by worrying prematurely is not good for any of the conditions it could be, you know? You have to take a deep breath here, and wait to worry until you know exactly what it is you're worrying about.

Let the doctor do the colposcopy and then take this one step at a time. Even if it is cancer, cancer can be fought, and cancer can be beat. You have to be strong. In the meantime, what can you do to help relieve the stress? Exercise? Yoga? Hang around with some close friends? Try and take your mind off of it!

My thoughts are with you! Let us know how it works out, ok?

Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

RouxWoman HB User
Wink Re: Abnormal pap results

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutelyterri View Post
It all started as being diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis off and on. I started to wonder why I suddenly was so prone to this particular infection. I would take Flagyl and the symptoms would temporarily go away, but they would always come back. I wondered if I had bad hygiene. Iíve had paps since this problem began, that came back normal, but this time it came back abnormal. I have an appointment to get a colposcopy done, and when I had asked over the phone what was wrong, the receptionest (who was very sweet by the way) told me that I had results for an abnormal pap. I read up on it, and apparently it could be a few things. HPV, dysplasias, cancers, etc. But here is the scary part. Most of what I read on was about the cervix. Now Iím no stranger to basic anatomy, the cervix is just right above the vagina, which means its still pretty superficial. Let me tell you all a little about my symptoms: I have pain on my lower left quadrant (what I feel to be near my ovaries, or fallopian tube). It has been a chronic pain for at least 1 Ĺ years to 2 years. I have watery discharge that smells foul, and burning from time to time, which seems to worsen from stress. When it burns, I often find myself washing my vaginal with water. I know this can be bad in excess, but it relieves it temporarily, and makes the ordor/burning go away. This is how I know it is very deep within me, because I washed away all the recent drainage, but more will be produced later. So anyway, I am terrified because how will a removal of any type of growths be preformed if it is so deep within? And it has been a few years, this means that it could be pretty bad. The lady over the phone told me not to worry its common etc, but I know the medical field. You let the doctor do the talking over serious stuff, and you never want to terrify a patient, or give them too much info over the phone. Could someone please tell me the possibilities. It makes sense that I have some type of growth there, but what scares me is I read that the watery discharge that is foul implies cancer, because after all, cancer contains a lot of necrotic tissue (and dying tissue smells). I will not get into the details of how terrified I am, or how I feel I did something sinful to deserve this (and I do). Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I think you did not do anything "bad" to cause any problems, however I have to wonder why you would wait over a year to be checked when you had the symptoms you described? I mean how long can one go around with discarge and odor before you do something about it.

I have just come throught the Pap/Colop/LEEP procedure and perhaps you will have to undergo these procedures, but the main thing is you have gotten help. Sounds more like infection to me than anything else but of course I am not a doctor.

As you have been told, please try to relax because stress does not help. But, please follow up with the doctor and do what you have to do to find out what it is and how it can be taken care of.

Not being too personal but what exactly were your results of the PAP? That could tell us more of what could be happening.

Good luck to you, and you have come to the right board for help. The ladies on this board are giving with help and support.

Kepp you chin and sprits up

Closed Thread