It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
(female)

saintkdf HB User
Only have my period 2-3x a year!

I am 21 yrs old and first got my period when I was 16.

All the five years that I have had my menstrual cycle, it has been a very irregular cycle. I get my period about 2-3 times a year, give or take a couple times each year. I havent had it once this year at all, and almost five mos have gone by. I am not pregnant, and have never been for that matter.

When I DO get it though, the first day is always very heavy, and very painful as far as cramping goes; my back pain is so intense that I have to lay down and not move for it to be the least painful.

I have researched a few things, but have not yet gone to a doctor.. does anyone have any advice/ opinions/ answers to this?

thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

camina HB User
Re: Only have my period 2-3x a year!

I am sorta in the same boat as you. I have only had my period twice, maybe three times, starting from September 06. I am not pregnant nor have I been pregnant. I am going to the doctor soon to get a blood test just to check things out. I would suggest for you to do the same

I wrote a thread called "No Period For Months" and people have kindly suggested things for me to do. It's still in this women's section so check it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
(female)

saintkdf HB User

thanks for viewing and replying.. let me know what your doc says... i, like you, have been much too nervous about actually going to the doc.. i hate it! haha.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
(female)

calijay HB User

Hey. I've kinda got the same thing. I got my period when I was 13 and for the longest time it was regular. When I was finishing up college and moving to another country I stopped getting it. I just attributed it to stress. When 8 months later I STILL hadn't gotten it, I went to the doctor. Did an ultrasound and some bloodwork and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Now I get my period anywhere from every 2-6months and its fairly normal. You can take the birth control pill to help regulate your cycle which I was doing but stopped when I decided the pill was making me crazy and I refuse to take it! Although the long term effects of PCOS are kinda sucky (Difficulty concieving) I look at the bright side and enjoy not having my period monthly. Anyways! All I can say, is go to the doctor.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
(female)

camina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calijay View Post
Hey. I've kinda got the same thing. I got my period when I was 13 and for the longest time it was regular. When I was finishing up college and moving to another country I stopped getting it. I just attributed it to stress. When 8 months later I STILL hadn't gotten it, I went to the doctor. Did an ultrasound and some bloodwork and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Now I get my period anywhere from every 2-6months and its fairly normal. You can take the birth control pill to help regulate your cycle which I was doing but stopped when I decided the pill was making me crazy and I refuse to take it! Although the long term effects of PCOS are kinda sucky (Difficulty concieving) I look at the bright side and enjoy not having my period monthly. Anyways! All I can say, is go to the doctor.
That makes me really scared now

Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
(female)

calijay HB User

Aw, i'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you, I was just being honest. Hopefully you have nothing really. But, if it is something, its really not that bad. Its just best to see a doctor and get it solved. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
(female)

saintkdf HB User

yeah ive done a bunch of research over the past two years , trying to see what could be the cause of it... and PCOS seemed to be the most likely, however, they attribute symptoms like facial hair growth, because pcos leads to an overload of testosterone in women who have it, and i dont have that symptom at all.. im still perfectly a woman! haha.

so when you DO get it, its just normal menstruation? not heavy one day or light another, and lasts a normal amount of time.. doesnt change from being a couple days to one week .. etc etc.. do you have really bad cramps at all?

both my sister and mother were diagnosed with endometriosis when they were younger, but were still able to conceive quite easily.. basically, my thinking is that i have endo or pcos... both can lead to infertility... which im not really heartbroken about..

but im also not a big fan of never knowing when my period is going to come, and i dont want to take birth control pills cause i know they make us girls whacky and or fat...

Closed Thread