It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Question on self breast exam

I am just curious. When you do a self breast exam, do they feel the same? I feel something different on my left than I do my right and I don't know if that's normal. I have had it for a long time, like a small bump. I have had the fibrocystic thing and probably still do but what is this new way of doing mamograms now that they say are more accurate? Also, if the Gyn doesn't know your breast all that well, when they do the breast exam in the office, how do they know what is normal and what's not? I have always wondered about that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Re: Question on self breast exam

Anyone have a clue on this???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

my gyno has told me they wont always feel the same...but they shouldnt feel so different that its really noticeable. if that makes sense...i have noticed on my left breast also..ever since my early teen years (im 19 now) i have had a weird lumpish spot...and sometimes it hurts and throbs and my gyno swears to me that its normal...and that if it was something serious it would be painless (is this true anyone? i have heard to get a 2nd opinion about that) so then that helps ease my mind...but its been bothering me more lately and i feel i should get re-checked. from my personal beast exam both of mine seem to feel the same except for the lumpish spot i described and ive had it for a while too. so i guess im in the same boat.

and in response to your last question..how do they know whats normal. i personally think they just know what normal breasts should feel like, thats what they have learned in medical school. if they feel something out of the ordinary...they should alert you about it...or if you are getting checked out and you feel something is wrong let them know im sure they will feel around and tell you.

also i just wanted to ask i hope i dont sound rude..if you have felt the difference in your breasts for quite sometime..what has taken you so long to ask questions?

Last edited by Longview; 05-01-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added new question

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview View Post
my gyno has told me they wont always feel the same...but they shouldnt feel so different that its really noticeable. if that makes sense...i have noticed on my left breast also..ever since my early teen years (im 19 now) i have had a weird lumpish spot...and sometimes it hurts and throbs and my gyno swears to me that its normal...and that if it was something serious it would be painless (is this true anyone? i have heard to get a 2nd opinion about that) so then that helps ease my mind...but its been bothering me more lately and i feel i should get re-checked. from my personal beast exam both of mine seem to feel the same except for the lumpish spot i described and ive had it for a while too. so i guess im in the same boat.

and in response to your last question..how do they know whats normal. i personally think they just know what normal breasts should feel like, thats what they have learned in medical school. if they feel something out of the ordinary...they should alert you about it...or if you are getting checked out and you feel something is wrong let them know im sure they will feel around and tell you.

also i just wanted to ask i hope i dont sound rude..if you have felt the difference in your breasts for quite sometime..what has taken you so long to ask questions?
I have had it checked, but like you have heard, the doc doesn't think that it's a concern, however, it still bothers me because I can feel it and I am not exactly sure it is in the very same spot. I used to drink alot of pop which I have been told I have the fibrocystic breast thing and if that is still true, it's hard to differenciate what is normal and what is not. I have a heard time trusting doctors anyway and I guess I feel that maybe the doctor might be missing something. I'm in my 40's and half the doctors say that I am too young for periomenopause and half say. "oh yeah, you're at the right age" so...that right there makes me question so many things. You can ask 10 different doctors the same question and you'll get 10 different answers so I thought I would just ask questions here to hear what different people have gone through. Hope that clarifies it for you! Thanks for the reply!

Closed Thread