It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Hopee77 HB User
Exclamation Mammography VS. Thermography and Ultrasound

Hello,

I am 28 and my doctor suggested me to have a mammography because of family history of breast cancer and I totally agree.
Unfortunately I read terrible things about Mammographies, I heard they are harmful because of the radiations... I understand the radiations are very low, but I read somewhere that being exposed to these radiations, especially starting at a younger age and especially if you have the genes for this kind of cancer, this treatment can "wake it up" earlier ....

I also read that it's more recommended to use thermography, ultrasound or ... MRI, which I think it's too expensive though - I asked the radiology office if I could only have an ultrasound without a mammography but they said it goes together .....

Any idea why doctors don't suggest to use thermographs instead of mammographs?

I have been prescribed for a mammograph and an ultrasound, but after all I read I am scared to have the mammography, but I still want to monitor my breasts though .... what should I do?

I know I should talk to my doctor but I feel like he thinks I am crazy for doing all these searches ..... but I am just careful, I trust my doctor, but never trust him 100% and let them do whatever they want to, I wanna know what's going on too ... so I search and try to understand and choose the best way to do things.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Hopee77 HB User
Re: Mammography VS. Thermography and Ultrasound

nobody knows about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have never heard this...and my ex-husband was a molecular biologist who did breast cancer research...even discovered and patented a tumor suppressor gene. He was adamant that I have a mammogram every year. I had my first one at 35 due to a lump that turned out to be a fibroid cyst. I'm 61 now and have had no problems.

Have you been tested for the breast cancer gene?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hopee77 HB User

Very interesting .... no, but my grandma had breast cancer at a young age.

I heard pretty bad things about mammographies, some people say that these kind of exams are not too clear and don't show everything, other people say that these are in part the cause of breast cancer (because of the radiations).
I made a small search on Thermographies and it seems like this kind of test is not invasive and shows more about what's going on in the breast tissue and around the area (so is more complete).

I believe this theraphy is not too well known because it's not convered by insurance and doctors do not suggest it to their patients.

I have very small breasts and I had one mammography in the past and it really hurt because they were basically pulling and squeezing my nipples.

I just found out about this thermotheraphy and I hoped somebody could hlep me decide what to do ......... it's not ridiculously expensive, around $150, so I would consider having it instead of the mammography and ultrasound --- but I wanted to hear some other opinions .....

Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

ricenbeanz HB User

My daughter's doctor sent her for a mammogram when she was 26. She went to a breast center at a hospital. They wouldn't do the mammo on her and they said something about her being too young and the results wouldn't be very good? They called her doctor and talked to him and they did an ultrasound instead. All was ok.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Hopee77 HB User

Is an ultrasound enough?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

When I had my last mammogram I ask the nurse what was the difference in that & an ultrasound.

She said the mammogram showed the whole breast area & the ultrasound was used to look at a particular small area of interest after a mammogram showed something not normal.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hopee77 HB User

How come they told your daughter to have amammography at 26? There were cases of breast cancer in your family?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you concerned about the implications of the BRCA 1 & 2 gene test? I can understand that but think I would want to know.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Hopee77 HB User

Actually I have a friend who is a doctor, she was telling me most of cancer cases come to women that never had any kind of family history - I believe one of the causes is that they think that it can not happen to them because there is no history and don't do the regular check ups that someone who worried would do regularly.

What's the good thing about knowing that you have the genes or not? If you know you have them you just ruin your quality of life because you live with that certain fear.
If you don't know you have them you just do your regular check ups yearly (As everybody should do) and be careful ..... you know what I mean? Why getting upset if the check ups are the same if you know you have the genes or don't.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

I never heard of thermography. But I have been getting mammograms with an ultraound, but I have a harmless cyst they are keeping any eye on. With me I have dense breasts, the mammogram does not even show this cyst, since it is small but they can see it clearly on the ultrasound. I wish they would make an ultrasound the only test, it would be less pain then the mammogram. That is interesting someone mentioned to see if you they can detect a breast cancer gene. Since you are so young, to be starting all those tests. Good luck.

Closed Thread