It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
My dad is ready for grandchildren, but i dont understand why!

Im sorry i wasn't sure where to post this..

Im only 19 and when i just turned a teenager, was in highschool, was starting to think boys were cute my dad was so so strict about me having a boyfriend. He never wanted me to date until i was 30 (im sure that he was joking but back then i took him seriously) so everytime i had a boyfriend in highschool i hide him from my dad in fear of him getting upset. Now that im older i have been with my current boyfriend for 2 years. Its pretty serious between us and my dad says he really likes him.

The weird thing is...my dad has been in not so good of health lately.. and he has been talking more and more about wanting grand children. and just today i was talking to him on the phone and he mention the grand children thing again..so i asked dad if i told you i was pregnant right now you wouldnt be upset? and said heck no..i may be wanting grand children sooner than i thought. And it just really weirded me out because this is coming from a man who i use to dread even saying i thought a guy was cute when he was around. and my dad lives in a different state than i do and i just got back from visiting him for 2 months. and he didnt look good at all and he was taking all kinds of pills for really high cholesterol and stuff..so now its just worrying me that my dad wants me to pop out a baby because he thinks he might be dying or something.i mean just that phrased he used after i asked him about me being pregnant and how he always talks about it. and even said well me and your mom got pregnant at your age. he is the type of person to hide important things on account of hurting peoples feelings..so i really think something more is going on than what he is saying..because im still young..i cant believe he would be so cool about wanting me to have a baby right now.

so basically what should i make of this? i mean..should i really take it as my dad wanting me to have a child ..or should i ask if there is more to it than that..i dont wanna hurt his feelings and question him because he is really uptight now because he knows i use to hide boyfriends from him and he told me i should of had no reason to do that.

Last edited by Longview; 05-01-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

desiii HB User
Re: My dad is ready for grandchildren, but i dont understand why!

Well first I think it's really important that you don't have kids because someone else (even your dad) wants you to. That is a huge responsibility and you and your SO need to be ready for that before you even consider it.

Certainly it is quite possible that he is starting to evaluate his life and that could be why he's talking the way he is. Have you tried talking to your dad about his health?

But it's also quite normal for parents to be extremely protective of their daughters when they're younger, and then later start pressuring for grandkids. I know when my parents' friends started showing all the endless pictures of their grandkids, that really got them wanting them too. It's all just part of normal life stages.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User
Re: My dad is ready for grandchildren, but i dont understand why!

Yes ive tried talking to him about his health, but hes not into talking about it much. which is fine, but given the history of my dad that usually means somethings up.

me and my boyfriend have spoke of having a baby before but not for a while and not till marriage. my dads a pusher..so he likes to push the thought of having a grandchild. but i wouldnt go having one just for his sake. and he knows that which is why the whole subject of this is weird to me.

Closed Thread