It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

UK Chick HB User
Question Pap smear with no insurance?

Hi

I live in England but currently travelling in America for a few months. I bled a couple of times after sex and my last period was heavier and longer than usual. I havent had a pap smear as you cant until 25 in England and I turned that just as I came travelling. I am scared that something may be wrong, and I am not going home for 2 months. Is there anyway I can get a pap smear thats either free or that I can personally pay for?

Thanks, would like to hear any comments re: this.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

PiercedPunkette HB User
Re: Pap smear with no insurance?

If you are going to be in america, go to a medical clinic that has a self-pay option. You should deffinetly be able to get a pap smear!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

furtiva HB User

there are free clinics in the States for hte public. I don't know if their services are only for american residetns/citizen but it doesn't hurt to ask them. Call 311 for govt. services and they will give the number and location of an STD clinic in the state where you will be visiting.

Also check out Planned Parenthood of America, they will have a better price than private clinics (if you dont have insurance right now) and their offices are located in major cities.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

jessparm HB User

you can't have a pap until 25 in England? Why? That seems crazy!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

UK Chick HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try those numbers. Before I do, does anyone have any idea how much one would cost please?

I am not sure why you cant have one until your 25, I think they say its not needed until then, but its probably all down to money as health care in England is free. Personally I think its nuts, I think it should start at the same age as it does in America.

Thanks again

Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
(female)

furtiva HB User

Without insurance, at Planned parenthood or other similar clinic's (can be found either at yellow pages book or on the website of the local goverment medical services) will be smth at $150.

Try the CSTD -clinics/center for Sexually transmitted diseases of the state you're in. Pap's and testing for std it's free there (you might need some sort of ID)

Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

$150? Ouch!

I just go to a gyno's private office in a hospital building. Self-pay, no insurance ranges from $65 to $110 depending on if I have to pay him for the lab fee or just use a lab company of my choice and pay them direct.

In other words, if I have the doc handle all the lab work, I've paid him as much as $110 which includes the lab charges. Recently, I've found a wonderful lab company that gives great discounts to uninsured individuals, and I've begun using them. My doctor in that case charges me $65 for the visit, I direct his staff where to send my slide, then I get a separate bill from the lab (usually around $40 or so).

Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

furtiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
$150? Ouch!

I just go to a gyno's private office in a hospital building. Self-pay, no insurance ranges from $65 to $110 depending on if I have to pay him for the lab fee or just use a lab company of my choice and pay them direct.

In other words, if I have the doc handle all the lab work, I've paid him as much as $110 which includes the lab charges. Recently, I've found a wonderful lab company that gives great discounts to uninsured individuals, and I've begun using them. My doctor in that case charges me $65 for the visit, I direct his staff where to send my slide, then I get a separate bill from the lab (usually around $40 or so).
agreed! thanks for the correction..I calculated the lab fee/work $75 which makes the doctor's visit half of it $75....

I think that colposcopy price is about 150, if you have no insurance

Last edited by furtiva; 05-08-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Closed Thread