It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
(female)

life for rent HB User
Period pain - when to see a doctor?

I started my periods when I was 13 (I'm now 21) and over the last few years they have become heavier and much more painful. The first day or two is nearly always unbearable - resulting in me having to miss classes, feeling like I can hardly walk, almost doubled over in pain sometimes. Of course the feelings will pass after a while, but even when I "just" have cramps on their own, they are unbelievably painful, and mean that I often can't concentrate on other things.

Today I woke up with EXCRUCIATING cramps (probably the worse I've had so far) and felt like I was going to faint, shaky, could hardly bring myself to move. I took 2 ibuprofen (which usually works for me, after a while), had a shower (which took a painfully long time because I felt like I couldn't stand up) and then proceeded to throw up. I'm just wondering if it's worth seeing a doctor or not, as it's not like the pain lasts an abnormal amount of time, but it's just really intense and unbearable when it does come. I wouldn't say every single period is this bad, but the majority of them are, at the very least, highly painful, and the symptoms I get seem to be a lot worse than my mum's or my female friends'.

Thanks for any advice...

Old 05-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Period pain - when to see a doctor?

You may have a cyst or a fibroid. I'd definitely get it checked out by a gynecologist if I were you. Although it's common for some women to have really bad pain with their period, it's not supposed to cause you to throw up and stuff.

I think you should go to the doctor. You're lucky you can get by with 2 ibuprofen. I've been up to 6 at a time with no results! Unfortunately I have developed a tolerance to ibuprofen so I can't even take it anymore for headaches. My doctor switched me to a prescription brand naproxen (which is generic Aleve) at 550 mg. That seems to work a lot better for me.

And although I don't believe in using the pill at all for any reason, and I personally don't believe it has any effect, some women have gone on the pill to help with heavy bleeding and painful cramps. I was on the pill for over 15 years and it never helped me with that stuff. So I don't reccommend it. But I've read that some women allegedly received some benefit from it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread