It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Ovarian Cysts - Laporoscopy

I am finally getting my ovarian cysts removed. one is 9cm the other 7cm. I am also having my right falopian tube removed.

This is being done through laporoscopy.

I have suffered for years with cysts. Bloating, the pressure and pain. And now getting 2 periods a month.

I am so scared right now. Especially getting put out for the operation. It is bad enough that I have panic disorder.

Any advice? How long is the recovery period?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts - Laporoscopy

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice. I did want to wish you luck though. I hope it all goes smoothly!
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

DQGal HB User
Smile Re: Ovarian Cysts - Laporoscopy

Hi!
I too wanted to wish you good luck on your laparoscopy and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
I had a lap last year for a cyst (found Stage 4 Endo as well!), and for me it was a great experience!
Take your iPod or music to play (relaxing songs of course!) if they will let you before going in for the lap. It will take your mind off it some and may help with anxiety. Just a suggestion.
As far as advice...ask for anti-nausea drug with anesthesia to ward it off as a precaution. The procedure is not too long and you won't remember anything. Afterward, just relax and take it easy. It helps to take a small pillow to put against your tummy when riding home (ease the bumpy roads and seatbelt hitting site). Also a heating pad on your shoulder helps get the excess 'gas' out of your body...I never had the "typical" shoulder pain after, but many do and I heard this helps.
Anyways, I hoped I help a little and put your mind more at ease! Again, good luck and let us know how it went!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

thank you for your advise.

Were you out completely or did you get another type of anesthesia?

Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
(female)

DQGal HB User
Wink Re: Ovarian Cysts - Laporoscopy

I was given general anesthetic (completely out). It was nice because you don't remember anything except getting groggy, then waking up afterwards like you came out of a nice, long sleep. It was almost refreshing! But that was just me, but it was not bad at all! It is the best way to go for a Lap.
Another thing I remember is having a hoarse voice after (from general anesthesia). So keep some throat lozenges on hand in case because they helped a lot. It only lasted 2 days; it didn't hurt just annoying to talk and you sound like a frog! LOL. Good luck...when is your surgery? You will do great, I am sure.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I am waiting for a date - hopefully soon as I am so bloated. I actually look 5 or 6 months pregnant.

I am mostly afraid of going under and never waking up. I am so bad now that my doctor put me on klonopin to try to relax.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

hi
good luck with the Lap.

I had one done 2 years ago, then ended with a hyst 2 months after that.

You will be very gassy and yes shoulder pain.
Try drinking peppermint tea and do alot of walking to help with the gas issue

Old 05-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Re: Ovarian Cysts - Laparoscopy

I too had a lap 2 weeks ago.It really isnt too bad once you get your I.V. in they will give you something and you'll be completely out.The next thing i remember is waking up in the recovery room and them asking me if i needed something for the pain which I didnt..it wasnt till later i started feeling some pain i guess from the gases but they were bearable with some Advil. Most of my pain where in my neck not shoulder and i was sore in my stomach area but like i said couple of Advil and it was okay they do give you a stronger prescription but i didnt really need it.Good luck

Last edited by savanannastar; 05-07-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

How long is the recovery period for this? I'm asking for my cousin who may need this, and she has 5 kids to care for. She said she's heard that the doctor tells you not to drive for a period of time after too.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Possible recovery time can be a week to 2 weeks depending on what is done and the person.
When I had my Lap done I did not have cysts removed, they ruptured before surgery so the cleaned me out. I was full of blood all over my ovaries.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #11
(female)

REDZIE407 HB User

Hi
Best Of Luck With Your Surgery! I Had Lap Done Back In March And I Can Tell You, You Will Be Fine! The First Week Was Hard, No Really Painful, Just Very Sore. Each Day You Will Feel Alittle Better And By Week Two You Will Be Fine! I Had No Problems With Gas At All. Everyone Is Different. General Anesthesia Was The Worst Part, I Got Very Sick From It. Ask For Something To Prevent The Nausea, If They Can Give It To You. I Was So Afraid, But Honestly It Was Nothing. I Had Cyst, Left Ovary And Tube Removed.
Best Of Luck To You!
Redzie

Old 05-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it!

Closed Thread