It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User
Do you get sore after a mamogram?

I'm just wondering if anyone ever gets sore after having a mamogram? I had one today and they took about 8 pics because the girl got it wrong. Now I seem sore kind of under my arm just on the right side. (They did more pics on that side) do you think the soreness is normal? I don't think I have ever had this problem. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Do you get sore after a mamogram?

Certainly it's normal! Your breast has been compressed and pulled several times. I had a regular mamo, a "super" mamo and an ultrasound all in one day. I was sore for days! I wouldn't let my husband come near me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User
Re: Do you get sore after a mamogram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpkinPumpkin View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone ever gets sore after having a mamogram?...do you think the soreness is normal? I don't think I have ever had this problem. Thanks!
It's normal to have discomfort and/or pain during the procedure. My breasts hurt quite a bit during the procedure and are very tender for quite a while afterward. My breasts are small, so there's a lot of pulling. I also had surgery on one of my breasts to remove a cancerous lump a couple of years ago. My oncologist said it can take years for the tenderness and pain to go away because internal healing of nerves and tissue can take quite a while. So that breast in particular hurts during the procedure and after.

Also, if it's about a week before your period when you have the procedure, it will probably hurt more.

If the pain persists, just ask your doctor if that's normal. If you never experienced it before, it could just be that your technician was rougher than others have been. But you may rest easier knowing things are normal. It won't hurt you to give your doctor a call. It's a simple question and probably has a simple answer.

Best wishes,

Nikki

Closed Thread