It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User
Bacterial Vaginosis. Please read. In dire need of help.

Has anyone ever had one or is currently dealing with a bv infection that will just NOT go away AT ALL? As in one constant infection that is resistant to all antibiotics? I know this is only my second treatment (I tried Clindesse first and now I'm on Flagyl but I know its not working) but my intuition is telling me that this thing isn't going anywhere. I need some responses and encouragement. I lost hope a long time ago when I was first diagnosed. I knew what a monster this could be as far as RECURRENT infections were concernced. But I never knew that I wouldn't be able to kill it at all. :'(

Also, I've read here in the yeast thread that they can do cultures of the yeast that are sent off to a lab where the type and what it is sensitive to is specified. Can they do the same for BV?

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-09-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DNSX3 HB UserDNSX3 HB User
Re: Bacterial Vaginosis. Please read. In dire need of help.

Hey Ebon: I feel bad for you. i was wondering how your doing. I just thought my year of BV was bad,I cant imagine longer than that!Did you try the paroxide/water douche? rePhesh?...I wish this would go away for you.I am here for ya. sorry I wasnt more help.~ Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

jupe HB User

I read alot of these threads and there's not too much mention of whether your partner's been treated or if you are even having sex. I had BV 12 years ago- the Doctor said my partner should be treated- so I had him get soem flagyl too. Then i got a screaming yeast infection- month after month after month- I begged Dr's to treat my partner and every one of them said men don't need to be treated for a YI. So then finally a Dr said ok- prescribed him something and after about 9 months of hell I was back to normal...until now but that's a whole other story...

Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

No, we are not having sex. We've tried having sex once in the last two months and it lasted about 3 minutes because it burned too much. So, I have a raging case of bv and I don't know why. I wish it was just sex. Then I'd just tell him to wear a condom until he could get treated

Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ebon, Have u tried the rePHesh? I cant remember.I was talking to my sister in law the other night, and in a conversation it came up shes been battleing with BV for over 2 years now too.she has been on everything too.It was still so nice to know someone else has them problems, that were not alone.I really feel for you hun.Im sorry. I can only imagine how this must be hurting your heart.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
(female)

jupe HB User

could you possibly have a yeast infection now from the flagyl? I thought (don't quote me because everyone's different) but I thought that BV doesn't cause a burning during sex- but a YI does.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

No. I just started taking the flagyl a week ago. Today is my last day. I tried having sex 2 months ago about 5 days after I finished a round of Clindesse. It burned too much, I thought it might have been yeast, went to the doctor and it was bv. Apparently, I'm the only person in the world who experiences burning with BV...I feel at least a little bit of burn at all times. So, I'm always aware that its there.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-13-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Candida albicans is a fungal organism that is present in every-one's intestinal tract. It is normally kept under control by the immune system and by beneficial intestinal bacteria. When these bacteria are destroyed, usually by antibiotics, or when our when our immune function is off, typically due to stress or illness, or when we develop environmental or food sensitivities, the Candida begins to proliferate and invade and colonize our body tissues. It most commonly makes it's self know as a vaginal yeast infection or as oral thrush. Candida albicans can also spread inside the body and become a systemic problem.

When that happens it changes from its simple, relatively harmless form to an invasive form, with long root-like structures that penetrate the intestinal lining. Penetration can break down the boundary between the intestinal tract and the circulatory system. This means it can enter into the bloodstream and cause us to be sensitive to allergens, poisons, or irritants. Partially digested proteins may enter the blood through the openings created by Candida. That's know as the leaky gut syndrome. That makes sense why individuals with Candida also often display a variety of food and environmental allergies.

It can cause problems such as yeast vaginitis, menstrual and premenstrual problems, bladder inflammation, chronic urinary tract infections, bladder inflammation, cystitis, PMS. Alot of times you may get the symptoms of the above BEFORE you have signs of a yeast infection.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
(female)

jupe HB User

Ebon,
you're not the only person that experiences burning from BV. A lot of people do. I have a "burning" right now- I don't know if it's from Yeast, the Terazol 7 cream or BV- I don't have any symptoms of BV- no odor- no discharge and I took one of those PH tests 4 times, so I can't figure out why this YI won't go away- but I have read tons of threads of girls who say bv "burns". reading these threads is making things worse for me and I have to stop because all it's doing is making me think I have something else.!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

Well, I finished my 7 day course of Flagyl and I feel that it HELPED but didn't eradicate it. I will be able to know for sure on Friday which is so far away. I have a colposcopy on Friday and will ask him to check then. Does anyone here know if a bv infection can cause complications for a colpo??? I'm kind of worried about that.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebon_aurora View Post
Has anyone ever had one or is currently dealing with a bv infection that will just NOT go away AT ALL? As in one constant infection that is resistant to all antibiotics? I know this is only my second treatment (I tried Clindesse first and now I'm on Flagyl but I know its not working) but my intuition is telling me that this thing isn't going anywhere. I need some responses and encouragement. I lost hope a long time ago when I was first diagnosed. I knew what a monster this could be as far as RECURRENT infections were concernced. But I never knew that I wouldn't be able to kill it at all. :'(

Also, I've read here in the yeast thread that they can do cultures of the yeast that are sent off to a lab where the type and what it is sensitive to is specified. Can they do the same for BV?
don't waste your time with home remedies. If they worked why would we go to the doctor for these things? I'd see another doctor for a second opinion. Tell the new doctor what you've been through. Also rememeber after the vagina is out of whack with an infection, even after its healed it can take weeks to get back to normal feeling.
good luck.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
(female)

nasty1ne HB User

You need to try one treatment at a time. After each treatment, go to your doctor and get checked and have a culture to make sure that you are clean. It will take some time for the BV to disappear. I was taking Cleocin for 2 weeks straight and then, I started incorporating yogurt and acidophilus w/ bifidus. Since then, I've been clean since November 2006.

The only battle I have now is with the rare yeast infection. No OTC drugs has effect on it. Diflucan doesn't work. My infection has grown resistant to all the treatments. I've tried terazol and the boric acid. Currently, I'm being treated with gentian violet. I go to my doctor for 12 days and have them administer the purple dye in my vagina. So, I'm hoping this will work. I was also told to do a douche of vinegar with water and salt, only to be sprayed on the outside and not inside like a "regular" douche and rub some cornstarch.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

YIKES! i feel so bad for so many of you.I used to feel bad for myself, but as I can see, others have it worse! wish I could help.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty1ne View Post
You need to try one treatment at a time. After each treatment, go to your doctor and get checked and have a culture to make sure that you are clean. It will take some time for the BV to disappear. I was taking Cleocin for 2 weeks straight and then, I started incorporating yogurt and acidophilus w/ bifidus. Since then, I've been clean since November 2006.

The only battle I have now is with the rare yeast infection. No OTC drugs has effect on it. Diflucan doesn't work. My infection has grown resistant to all the treatments. I've tried terazol and the boric acid. Currently, I'm being treated with gentian violet. I go to my doctor for 12 days and have them administer the purple dye in my vagina. So, I'm hoping this will work. I was also told to do a douche of vinegar with water and salt, only to be sprayed on the outside and not inside like a "regular" douche and rub some cornstarch.
Cleocin is scary. It wipes out all good bacteria along with the bad. That will be my last choice. I think it was antibiotics that set me on my bv course in the first place. I've been trying to replenish my flora for a long time now and it doesn't seem to be working. Second, do you think that maybe it was all the antibiotics that helped to give you this rare yeast infection? Did you have it while you had the bv or did it develop after you got the bv cleared with the Cleocin? Its my theory that you don't have the bv anymore because the yeast has taken up residence. Have you tried long term treatments with Nystatin or have you tried Nizoral. I read another thread on this board where a woman was cured from a rare strain with Nizoral?

Here's an update for me. The Flagyl helped a great deal but I know it did not work. I finished it on Sunday and was able to have pleasurable sex with my bf last night. But I know it is not gone. I'm still "burny" and I still have the discharge and a mild smell. And yes, he used a condom. I know I still have it, I'll have it confirmed on Friday when my doc does my colpo.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-16-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
(female)

jupe HB User

hey nasty1ne,
just wondering if you have C glabrata or some other non albican. I've read alot about them online and it seems like it takes some pretty powerful drugs to knock them out. Have you considered taking one of those? Also- let me ask you- when you use diflucan, or OTC's- do they help at all or do absolutely nothing? I am trying to figure out if I have a resistant strain or just messed myself up with the monistat 1 day ovule- ugh what a nightmare the last month has been- just curious-please let me know how your "YI" responds to OTC's and Diflucan. Do your symptoms subside at all? Thanks
also- Ebon, do the condoms you use contain nonoxynol 9? Spermicide can cause YIs and BV. it's like a lose/lose situation! have sex with condom- get irritated- have sex without condom- get irritated. I have no idea what my problem is. I don't know if it's from the douche I did a month ago (I never douche- decided to like an idiot- emptied the douche and used plain tap water because I heard douching was bad for you and I thought well, water can't hurt, right???) or now I'm beginning to think it's a coincidence and I have Vag cancer or something!!! I have been with this guy for 6 months and no irritation or problems in the sex department before this. I feel like I ruined my life by douching or something!

Last edited by jupe; 05-16-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Closed Thread