It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

Stigma HB User
Absent Periods, Want to Get Pregnant

I recently lost my periods due to weight loss, which happened over the past year. My last period was in February and before that, I had one in October. My BMI is currently about 20, so I'm not underweight, although my body fat percentage is lower than the normal requirement. My doctor said that it is possible to get pregnant even with my currently absent periods. I'm not actively trying to conceive, but once I'm 100% ready to do that (health- and otherwise), how can I ensure that happens without having to gain all the weight and fat back? Let me just clarify that I am perfectly aware of the dangers of being pregnant while underweight and that I would never ever do anything to jeopardize the health of the baby. I just simply want to make sure that the weight loss has not affected my fertility. Does anyone also have any tips on improving fertility or bringing back my periods? I've been trying to eat a lot of healthy fats, like avocados, nuts and seeds and my calorie intake is never under 1500/day. I also exercise only twice a week and really do not look underweight. All of my recent medical tests came out normal...

Please advise.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

skitz600 HB User
Re: Absent Periods, Want to Get Pregnant

I'm in a similar situation. I stopped taking my BC to get pregnant and now no AF! I get frustrated because I don't know when I could be Oing. I've spent so much money on HPTs and all were a BFN Someone suggested eating more protien. I did this and I got some spotting last week, but nothing promising. Maybe you could try Fertility Blend from the drug store. I really don't know either, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Let us know if you learn something!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

There are a few remedies you can try to see if they will help you ovulate. If you don't get results after 3 months or so, you might need to see the doc and get on Clomid to stimulate ovulation, or some women have success after getting a period induced by Provera, with the hopes that their bodies will pick up naturally afterwards. After BCPs, I used Vitex (chaste tree berry) to help with delayed ovulation. I took the pill form--2 500 mg. capsules every morning on an empty stomach throughout my cycle. They also sell Vitex in a tincture (though supposedly it tastes foul, it is effective too). That's one remedy you can try. I actually combined Vitex with Dong Quai (both are sold at GNC). After BCPs especially, Vitex may work for you. Another remedy you can try is soy. Some women just drink soy milk but others take soy isoflavones (150 mg to 200 mg) usually for just a 5 days of the cycle from cycle day 1-5 or 2-6, or 3-7 or 5-9. I never did try the soy; I used Vitex & Dong Quai. Soy can have some side effects like headaches or hot flashes in the 2nd half of the cycle (though if you are ovulating, you can get hot flashes in the 2nd half of the cycle anyway just due to the increasing progesterone). I had no side effects from Vitex and Dong Quai other than decreased PMS symptoms and less spotting at the end of my period. You should NEVER combine Vitex & soy together in a cycle.

Some women also have success ovulating when they take a good balanced B-vitamin complex (though taking this will cause your urine to turn bright yellow since excess B vitamins are execreted in the urine). My stomach tolerated timed-release B-vitamins the best. Other women have used red raspberry leaf tea daily to help balance hormones or Fertility Blend (sold at GNC, it contains Vitex along with various vitamins). Other women ovulate when they take 1-2 tablespoons of maca powder daily in a smoothie, but warning, I tried the maca & it tastes so foul, I couldn't do it. I have really never tasted anything so gross in my life.

If you decide to try any remedy, you should research it thoroughly first, and it is best to do one thing at a time & not combine a lot of remedies (though I did combine the B-complex with Vitex & Dong Quai).

If you are exercising excessively or your workouts are draining, you might need to cut back on them to help stimulate your body to ovulate.

Also, I'd encourage you to start charting to see if your body is ovulating (it isn't if your period is MIA, but if you try a remedy, charting may help you identify if you do ovulate using that remedy). A good resource for this is the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". It helps you identify fertile signs so you can tell when your body is gearing up to ovulate and tracking your basal body temperatures daily allows you to see that you have actually ovulated (temps. go up significantly after ovulation). If you search the web, there are some sites that allow you to chart basal body temps. for free to determine your fertility.

Last edited by livinTX; 05-15-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
(female)

Stigma HB User

Hm, thanks... But I have a feeling that your problem is different from mine, i.e., mine is purely due to an eating disorder. I feel that I have been eating a lot better (about 1500-1800 calories per day), but still no period and I want to start getting ready for pregnancy... What you have outlined is certainly worth a try, though - thanks for the advice.

Also, I was wondering what some opinions/experiences are with Clomid.

Thanks again.

S.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

If your problem stems from an eating disorder, you are likely still under-eating. 1500 calories/day isn't much; if you are exercising regularly, 1800/day may still be too little.

I did lose my periods for over a year due to anorexia when I was in college; they resumed again when I had been eating normally (no ED behavior--including restriction--I stopped counting calories completely, purging, or overexercising). If you are eating a healthy amount but still exercising a lot, you likely won't get your periods back.

The good news is that after your periods resume and assuming you are dedicated to recovery, future fertility problems are only rarely due to the ED (the longer you are without a period though the harder it may become to get pregnant). I'm 10 weeks pregnant now, and I got pregnant the 2nd cycle trying. I did notice for me, it was more about a particular weight. My periods stopped once I got below that weight and resumed once I had gained sufficient weight back. You might try adding some Omega 3 supplements--fish oil (this is good for the mood too) and/or flaxseed oil.

Closed Thread