It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

Ariaden HB User
thick black period blood?

this is really weird. i *think* i'm on my period. but the blood coming out is thick and black. like tar. the pad isn't even soaking any of it in, it's just sitting on top of it. my breasts don't hurt (they always start hurting about four days before my period) and i haven't been cramping... at all. and i cramp BAAAD. also i have a very heavy flow. and this is really light. if you call tar blood light >_< anyone know what this could be? i just had a pap test about a month and a half ago. it came back completely normal. this has never happened to me.

oh and additional info: i'm 19, never been pregant, healthy, and average weight. no changes in diet or serious stress/illness..

heeeeeeeelp!

The following user gives a hug of support to Ariaden:
jegz (11-18-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ariaden For This Useful Post:
katibug19 (03-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

atchoo HB User
Re: thick black period blood?

Is it the normal time for your period? It's kind of normal to get brown discharge before or after your period - it's just old blood, which comes out. Dunno about black though. If it is time for your period then I wouldn't worry, because periods do come in different quantities and qualities. But if it's not, or it gets weirder, then it could be a good idea to ask the doctor, just in case.

(Also, if you're on the pill, it'll change your periods!)

The Following User Says Thank You to atchoo For This Useful Post:
jegz (11-18-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DNSX3 HB UserDNSX3 HB User

I know black blood is OLD blood. Your vagina could just be cleansing out the old stuff. I get it sometimes!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Sometimes you don't shed all of the old lining completely, so the discharge looks "black" and tarry, because it is "old". You are kind of young to be experiencing this, but if it's really causing you worry, call your OB or if they have one in the office, the Nurse Practicioner. If you are on the pill, it can change things, too. Best to ask, tho. Isn't being woman great?? All this weird stuff coming out of us--guys would flip if anything like this happened to them---we just go "man, what now"!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liz49 For This Useful Post:
jegz (11-18-2010), sirenbelle (01-28-2012)
Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
(female)

jennycraig00 HB User
helpp. thick black period blood?

im only 14.
im not supposed to start my period for about two more weeks.
but for the past couple of days it has been just enough to fill like the outside of my tampon.
and its blackish..

help.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennycraig00 For This Useful Post:
jegz (11-18-2010)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

SaraMarie44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz49 View Post
Sometimes you don't shed all of the old lining completely, so the discharge looks "black" and tarry, because it is "old". You are kind of young to be experiencing this, but if it's really causing you worry, call your OB or if they have one in the office, the Nurse Practicioner. If you are on the pill, it can change things, too. Best to ask, tho. Isn't being woman great?? All this weird stuff coming out of us--guys would flip if anything like this happened to them---we just go "man, what now"!
Trust me, you're never too young to experience anything. At 13 I had my period for 4 months straight and at 17, they found a fibroid that was larger than most women that have them.

Anywho. It could also be a clot. I freaked when I had clotting. If it's darker and kinda like jelly and almost ball-shaped, it could be clotting which is rather common.

Closed Thread