It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
(female)

blue_eyed_angel HB User
Question Does An Extra Short Period Mean Pregnancy?

Hi I have a question about my period, as this hasnt ever happened to me before.

I got my period early monday morning (like 1am), and it is tuesday night now and my flow is so light that a panty liner would work. Monday and earlier today the flow was normal period flow, but now is hardly anything. Normally my period will last about 5 days, and Im on day 2.5 and my period is looking like it will be over tomorrow. I havent really had this happen before. I was kinda worried that I might miss my period because I have been sexually active.

Does having a period that lasts only a few days mean anything when the cycle normally 5 days? Could it be so short due to possibly being preganant? Should I take a preganancy test because of this?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Does An Extra Short Period Mean Pregnancy?

Often, the amount of flow in a period is affected by stress, diet, exercise, and it can change as you age.

Are you are birth control pills? If you are, they tend to make your period lighter and shorter especially over time. The longer I was on the pill, the lighter my period got. In the end, it was mostly just spotting.

I doubt you are pregnant with a 3 day period. I had very light periods after stopping the pill--usually 1 day of actual flow requiring a tampon and then just spotting that I could use a pantyliner for.

Most women who have what they mistake as a period when pregnant (and this is not common) have very light periods to start with. Even myself (I'm 12 weeks pregnant), I had spotting around the time I expected my period, but I never mistook it for my period. I never had actual flow and the spotting was pink/brown in color and not red.

Did you have unprotected sex that causes you to worry? If so, you can take a pregnancy test, but I doubt you are pregnant. If you used condoms or birth control pills, I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely stress plus the pill if you're on it changing your cycle.

Last edited by livinTX; 05-30-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
(female)

andreanna HB User
Re: Does An Extra Short Period Mean Pregnancy?

Did your period show up at the right time as usual? If it came early it could be something called implantation bleeding which can happen when a fertilized egg implants itself inot the uterus lining. But that is not as common as many think and it is usually just like a spotting for a day or so not a normal flow.

Also I have had some periods that seem like YAY they will end early then I end up with a ruined pair of panties ooops!

The only way to be 100% sure is to take a test. If you started your period ( if that is what it is) on time and not early then just about any brand test would predict a pregnancy by now. Even those cheapo dollar store ones or my old reliable was the answer tests.

And of course I dont want to lecture at all but maybe you should get on the pill or something it will regulate yoru period and protect from an unwanted pregnancy ( not 100% though as nothing is). But remember it wont protect from diseases though so condoms are best. I wish you lots of luck and hope you take a test and see the answer you want to see.

Closed Thread