It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
(female)

Dililah HB User
Thumbs up Persistent Yeast that is resistant to drugs

I have been suffering from yeast for years now. I was following a thread for a while (yeast and Rephresh), but the moderator closed it. I am hoping that those long time yeast sufferers will find this thread and continue to post. I have tried everything. Below is my story copied from a previous post:

{I am currently taking the boric acid suppositories because none of the antifungal creams work-nor does Diflucan. It's as if my body is completely resistent to those drugs. I have found a dr's office that has educated me more in two visits than the other Dr's office's did in over a span of 3.5 years! By trying all of those different creams, it seemed to make the problem worse. My current GYN's jaw dropped when I handed him 11 PAGES of my prescription drug history from the pharmacy. He was the very first doctor to to suggest that cytolic vaginosis may be the problem. It has the same sytems as yeast, but it is the opposite of a yeast infection becuase it occurs when there are TOO MANY good bacteria (a result of too much lactoballi and acidphillus{pardon the mispells}). I tried the douching with baking soda- it did not work. Furthermore, a culture revealed that it is yeast.

The next thing we tried was gentian violet. Some call it purple violet. With this, the doctor coats the cervix with this purple dye. It does not hurt and it is not uncomfortable. The dye kills yeast on contact. It helped my symptoms. The conditon of my vagina on a scale of 1-10 went from a 10 to a 2. It helped, but it did not eradicate the yeast completely. For those who have not tried this - ask your GYN about it. It's worth a try.}

The boric acid does work temporarily. This must be a very persitant strain because even after taking boric acid- it does not eradicate it completely. Anyone tried anything that eradicates persitent yeast completely?? babydawl55 are you there? How are things going for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
(female)

miria333 HB User
Re: Persistent Yeast that is resistant to drugs

Hi Dililah, you're in the same boat as me it seems. (i've responded to other threads) I know exactly where you're coming from, for me its been 7 years and i'm still waiting for someone to come up with the ultimate cure! Do you know what strain of yeast you have? because i think that's an important question. I am currently trying to get that answer for myself and then i will decide how to proceed from there.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

Dililah HB User

I don't know what strain I have. I did not even realize there were different strins unitil recently. You would think that one of the 9 doctors I went to would have told me, but that did not happen. I actually have an appointment in July with my gyno. I'm going to ask him about it and see what he says. The boric acid suppositories do help - 1x daily for 14 days or 2x daily for 7 days. I do notice a change with the boric acid. Perhaps you can ask your dr. about it if you have not tried already. Gentian violet helped too. Unfortunately, neither eradicated the yeast completely, but they may do the trick for you.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

nasty1ne HB User
Wink Re: Persistent Yeast that is resistant to drugs

Hi Dililah,

I had been replying to the Rephresh and Yeast threads for about 2 months. I also have a resistant yeast strain. I had found out in December that I had this resistant yeast strain, but before that, it was the BV. The secret to preventing the BV was yogurt and taking Culturelle (probiotics capsules). Unfortunately, I didn't get the specific strain of the yeast.

My obgyn was telling me that there is no optimal(best) treatment for eradicating the yeast. It will have to be a trial and error. I tried the Terazol for 2 months- it controlled the symptoms but I still had the yeast. Secondly, I took the boric acid for 14 days (twice a day). I felt fine except for the pressure in my abdominal area or pressure on my bladder to urinate frequently, but I still had the yeast. Recently, I just finished taking the gentian violet. I took it for 12 days- only to be administered by my obgyn. Again, I felt fine except for the pain/pressure in the abdominal area/bladder.

It has been now 3 weeks from completing the gentian violet treatment and I feel great. No stress. Eating right (limiting sugar and yeast intake). Taking the preventative measures (cleanliness/hygiene, light detergent, loose-fitting clothes, probiotics, drinking 2 1/2 bottles of water, etc.). Although I haven't done the vinegar and water spray bottle (spray it on the outside of the vaginal area to control yeast). I was told by the Nurse Practitioner to allow 6 weeks for my body to heal and let my immune system kick in. Don't want to overload it with all these medications and treatments.

So, I will keep you posted since I have an appointment on 6/14/07 to determine if I still have the yeast by doing a culture. I will know the results in 3 days.

Other than that, good luck to us all in trying to eradicate this resistant strain of yeast.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
(female)

leenaz HB User

Do some research about yeast overgrowth. See if it fits your symptoms.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
(female)

summerluvr HB User

you need to treat your entire body, not just the outward symtoms.

I had chrnic yeast for several years.. i started seeing a naturopath, we did a detox diet, and then a candida diet, + rounds of diflucan (one a day for 2 weeks) + herbal homeoptathic treatment (caprylic acid), and probiotics. My issue is partially caused by intolerance to gluten. removing it from my diet (beer, bread, pasta etc) really cleared up my problems.

Also for me (this may be TMI) i get yeast if someone gives me oral.. i have heard there is no link, but mos def for me this is a big cause of it..

also hot tubs.. (even taking to many baths)

good luck..

Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
(female)

miria333 HB User

Nastyone, that is great! I hope everything goes great on Thursday, I wish you all the best. If that gentian violet helped maybe i'll end up trying it too...

Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

I want to know how everyone with the resistant strains are doing. Keep us updated! Dililah, did the culture reveal what strain of yeast you had?

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 06-15-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
(female)

Dililah HB User

Ebon Aurora, my OBGYN appointment is not until July. Nasty1ne is who I believe tested for the specific strain. When I do go for my appointment that will be the first thing that I inquire about.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dililah View Post
. Furthermore, a culture revealed that it is yeast.

This is why I was asking if he identified the strain. When an actual culture is taken they take a sample of the discharge, send it off to a lab and see what grows from the discharge. In doing this, they can also identify what strain is causing the infection. The tests that they do in the doctor's office is not a culture. I don't even know if thats what you had done! lol. What exactly did you mean by "culture?"

Please keep us updated! I'm beginning to think Babydawl55 and Nasty1ne left us. Don't leave me now. lol. I hope you're doing well.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 06-18-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
(female)

Dililah HB User

No he did not identify the strain. Only said thatit was yeast. This time, I will either ask for another culture or ask if he could check my folder and tell me what twa sthe strain of yeast that i test positive for before. I don't know where babydawl55 is. hopefully she has not given up. I will see if i can do a search by her name. I will certainly continue to post. I am so happy to have found a support group who can relate to what is going on.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
(female)

nasty1ne HB User

Hello Ladies,

I haven't left. I've been reading the posts almost every other 2 to 3 days. My appointment was on Monday, June 18th w/ my obgyn. He went and took a swab for a culture to be done. It was 3 weeks from that date that I had finished the gentian violet. I feel fine but I still have that pressure on my abdominal area/bladder area. The feeling isn't bad. I've been drinking bottles of water to flush my bladder. I'm still doing the same preventative measures although I discontinued taking my 1 a day vitamins because I gained 5 lbs.

The symptoms I had before the gentian violet and boric acid treatments were really bad that I had to use the bathroom every 30 minutes. I should get the results before the end of the week. I also requested from obgyn to have the lab determine the yeast strain I have.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
(female)

nasty1ne HB User
Unhappy Re: Persistent Yeast that is resistant to drugs

[B]Update:[/B]

I just received email notification from my obgyn that I still have the resistant yeast. I requested that he notify the lab to get the identification of the yeast strain. From there, we will proceed to the next regimen of treatment which is taking 2 weeks of Diflucan and be tested before and after the treatment on the condition of my liver. I guess the Diflucan is bad on the liver or something.

Oh well ladies, I will notify you on how my progress with the next treatment. The search for a cure still goes on.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

Damn...I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope the Diflucan works for you. And yes it is hard on the liver...

Old 06-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
(female)

duse77 HB User

Nasy1ne, im so sorry about this. I really hope they find out what it is that is plaguing you and get rid of it for good!! Please keep us informed.

Closed Thread