It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

bagpuss34 HB User
Spots

Hi - I had a bump under my skin on my temple, you could not see it, but for some weird reason recently it started hurting. The bump started to go red on wednesday and get bigger, i thought it was a spot, then throughout the day it started to swell, by about 6pm i had a massive bump on my head, it was about an inch by an inch, it really looked like i had been whacked on the head with something.

I put witch hazel on it and it has gone down a lot, the swelling was so big my eye brow and eye swelled up.... that was last week wednesday... i have spent the whole of the weekend with witch hazel compresses on my eye and bump. It has gone down majorly, however i now have a massive 5p size red mark on my head, which is still a small bump. It is disapearing, but can anyone tell me what it was? I was really scared it was something bad...any advise on how to get this bump to go down even more? and the redness to go away?

Bagpuss

Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Re: Spots

Sounds like a big boil which is an infected spot. I always use tea tree oil on anything that could be infected but that is just my personal preference and not right for everyone as some people can react to the pure oil.

I would try things like tea tree oil or colloidal silver which is alternative just like your witch hazel is and if it doen'st clear completely in a few days it may be worth visiting a Dr in case a course of antibiotics or antibiotic cream is needed.

Imagine it was scary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

bagpuss34 HB User
Re: Spots

Oh crikey!! A boil? I never had one of those b4, it was weird how it just decided to have a paddy on my head.

So you think give it a couple of days then? As it has gone down a lot i am now applying normal spot stuff like clearaseal spot gel e.t.c., which it says it reduces spots in 4 hours and the redness, so im hoping this will work.

Why do you think i got it? I never hit my head, cut my head e.t.c - its all a bit weird..... my eye was the scariest bit, i was getting constant headaches too. The fact that its clearing up quickly and the puffyness has all gone down is a good sign, and the turn around of the progress is quick, so i guess i should just keep doing what im doing?

How long does it take for these things to completly clear, its kinda embarrasing really, i have to keep my head down - its horrid ;-(

Bagpuss

Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
(female)

bagpuss34 HB User
Red bump on head that swelled -i thought was a spot ended up being a= Sebaceous Cysts

Hi Guys,

I went to doctors today and she says its a small cyst that got infected, i am now on amoxycillian for 7 days, so hopefully that will sort it out.

My doctor said if you ever get a cyst thats near eye and swells up like mine did and efects the eye go to A&E straight away, no questions - apparantly you can go blind very quickly, she was very annoyed that i didnt go - but how was i supposed to know right?!!

I have posted some info i have found in case anyone else gets this. Mine was on my head, not privates, but apparantly you can get them anywhere.

So people dont worry too much if you get lumps under your skin, i have found some excellent conceler so all is well...

Btw - if you ever do get this, and doc is closed, used distilled whitch hazel on the swollen area for an hour or 2 and hold it with a bandage, it takes swelling down loads!!

Im now using tee tree to heal the skin

Bagpuss

________________________________________ _______________________-

Sebaceous Cysts
Have you ever found a small lump or a bump on your body, perhaps near your vagina or on your genitals? One of the questions women ask me most are about these small bumps or lumps just under the skin, of course women are most often worried when these occur in the vaginal area.
It is not uncommon for women to fear that these bumps or lumps under the skin may be genital herpes. The fact is that genital herpes creates a completely different kind of sore -- a blister-type sore that eventually becomes crusty -- not just a bump or lump under the skin. Very often, after careful inspection by a qualified health care professional, these under-the-skin bumps and lumps are found to be sebaceous cysts which are sometimes called epidermal cysts.

Although sebaceous cysts are usually found on the face, neck, and trunk, they also many times occur in the vaginal area or other parts of the genitalia of both women and men.

Sebaceous cysts are usually painless, slow-growing small bumps or lumps that move freely under the skin. It's important not to touch or try to remove the substance inside to prevent tenderness, swelling, and infection of a sebaceous cyst.
What is a sebaceous cyst?
A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance. A foul odor is also often present in the substance called keratin which fills sebaceous cysts. Keratin is a protein that creates the sac of cells called sebaceous cysts. The bumps or lumps you can feel under your skin are actually the sac of cells.
What causes sebaceous cysts?
Sebaceous cysts are often the result of swollen hair follicles, or skin trauma.
What are the symptoms of sebaceous cysts?
Small lumps or bumps that occur just under the skin of the vagina, genitalia, breast, abdomen, face, neck, or elsewhere on the body are the most common symptom of sebaceous cysts.
Occasionally infections may occur. Signs or symptoms that may indicate infection of sebaceous cysts include:

redness

tenderness

increased temperature of the skin over the bumps or lumps

greyish white, cheesy, foul smelling material draining from the bump or lump
How are sebaceous cysts diagnosed ?
Sebaceous cysts are usually easily diagnosed by their appearance to the trained eye. In some cases, a biopsy may be necessary to rule out other conditions with a similar appearance.
Treatments for sebaceous cysts
Sebaceous cysts most often disapear on their own and are not dangerous. Occasionally, they may become inflamed and tender. Sometimes sebaceous cysts grow large that they may interfere with your everyday life. When this happens, surgical removal in your health care provider's office may be necessary. Small inflamed cysts can often be treated by injection of steroid medications or with antibiotics.
Complications of sebaceous cysts
Sebaceous cysts may occasionally become infected and form into painful abscesses. It is important when sebaceous cysts are surgically removed that the entire sac is excised to help prevent a recurrence. However, it's important to note that sebaceous cyst recurrence in not unusual.
Remember to consult your health care provider anytime you notice any type of growth, bump, or lump on your body. Although sebaceous cysts are not dangerous, your doctor should examine you to ensure that skin cancer is not present.

Closed Thread