It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

QuienEst HB User
Spotting and semi-irregular cycles

For the past 5 years, I have had pretty regular menstrual cycles lasting for an almost exact 28 days, including a 7 day period. Last year, however, my cycle began to change. It would last about 25-31 days long, and the period changed to a 5-7 day blood flow. Before my cycle changed, I went on vacation for a month to a country that had a 13 hour time difference from my own (and the flight there was about 18 hours). The climate in that country was also different from my own (much more warn and humid), and the food was slightly different. Would the change in diet (only a very slight change), jetlag/sleep patterns, and the stress from traveling have caused the change? If so, would it cause my cycle to permanently change lengths (it has been a year and my cycle is still different from the usual 28 days that I used to get)?

Also, since I came back, I have been more sexually active. Would this have caused a change in my cycle as well?

About 3 months ago, I had a yeast infection that lasted for 7 days. It went away by itself without the use of medications. In April, my period lasted from April 18 to April 23. Then, my period in May came a few days early (May 12 - May 15). I assume that intercourse made my period come early.

I have been under a lot of stress in the Month of May. Finals were in early May. Then there was the stress of looking for a summer job. My sleep patterns have also been off. I've been sleeping at 4am earliest, and I usually wake up some time between 10am-12pm.

From May 29-June 1, I went on vacation to Vegas, which has a 3 hour time difference from here. Before I went on vacation, I was under stress over monetary issues. I was also for a week before I went on vacation, with a very bad sore throat and mucus and the such. Three days before I went to Vegas (Saturday), I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. I was under a lot of stress in Vegas due to family issues, and in Vegas, I was sleeping at around 3am (which would be 6am here), and would wake up at 10am (1pm here). Also, I did not eat as much in Vegas (1 full meal a day, and then a snack). I also walked around a lot (more exercise than usual because I don't really need to walk much around here). The night before I came back, I didn't get much sleep (about 4 hours), and I didn't sleep on the plane ride, plus I drank a lot of coffee to keep me up (because if I slept on the plane, I wouldn't be able to sleep at a proper time when I got home). The day I got back (Saturday), I had unprotected sex again with my boyfriend.

The following Sunday night, I noticed light pink spotting (discharge) when I wiped, after some bowel movements. The spotting on Sunday was very light and did not stain a pantyliner. All day yesterday (Monday) I was still spotting. It was enough to stain a pantyliner, but only one pantyliner. The spotting did last all day, however. Today (Tuesday), I am still spotting. I'm expecting my period sometime this week.

I've been very tired lately, but I would accredit that mostly to the odd sleep patterns and few hours of sleep that I've been getting lately. I haven't really had any other signs of pregnancy. In fact, my urination urges have decreased in the past month, as opposed to increased (though at this point, I suppose it would be too early to have urination urges as a symptom). However, I also haven't gotten my usual pms mood swings yet, which I should be having by now (unless the mood swings were part of the irritability I had in Vegas).

Could this be implantation spotting even though it has been almost consistent spotting (I have read many articles that said implantation spotting didn't last long, only for a few hours or even less)? Or could this spotting be because of the stress that I have been under lately (sick, stress, lack of sleep, change in diet the week that I was in Vegas as well as the extra walking/exercise -- note that it was only a week, and it was right before this spotting started, so would these changes affect things that quickly?)?

Answers, comments, and responses are much appreciated. Thank you.

And, since I mentioned unprotected sex, which always gets the question, "why are you having unprotected sex?", I'll address that first: while my boyfriend and I are not yet married, we're willing to accept the possibility of pregnancy. We do use the "pull-out method", which we are well aware does not really prevent pregnancy, but that's the only pregnancy prevention method we try. Again, we're willing to accept the possibility of pregnancy. It's not that we want it to happen, but if it happens, it happens.

Last edited by QuienEst; 06-05-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added more information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
(female)

QuienEst HB User
Re: Spotting and semi-irregular cycles

Just a little update...
It was 3 full days of spotting and then it stopped. Following that, I had a white discharge (not clumpy) that I usually get around the time of my period (before and after).

I haven't had any PMS symptoms, nor any pregnancy symptoms. In fact, I've been urinating less (I used to urinate A LOT but it has gotten better the past month), and I've also been having better bowel movements (in the past year, it's been either diarrhea or constipation, but this past week I've been going very smoothly. Sorry if tmi).

I'm still sleeping late.

So my question still stands..
Could the spotting have been implantation bleeding or could it have just been onset by recent stress and changes in my body (lack of sleep, change in diet and climate)? My period is due 1-4 days from now, so I'll still wait and see. But could it be possible that the spotting was my period made early by the stress?

Last edited by QuienEst; 06-08-2007 at 02:20 AM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread