It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
(female)

Joy513 HB User
Question Office procedure for polyp removal sounds barbaric.

My GYN discovered a vaginal polyp yesterday during an exam. It's not attached to the cervix, but rather it is attached to the vaginal wall and about the size of a small grape. It's attached to a stalk. She said they are benign and very common. I'm 59 and just the exam yesterday, was a bit uncomfortable with the pinching feeling from the speculum. She wanted to remove the polyp yesterday in her office, but she would have to use a much larger speculum to do the procedure, and didnt' think I could tolerate it.

Now she's going to wait two months while she has me on Estrace Cream twice a week, hoping that it will make my vaginal area "more pliable" and then be able to use the larger speculum.

I was surprised that they took vaginal polyps out in the office and that it wasn't day surgery with anesthesia. To remove the polyp in her office she is going to use a "lasso" to wrap around the polyp. Then she is going to make a cut above the "lasso" and there will be just one stitch/suture which she said will be purple in color and will fall out of the vagina on its own. She is going to use a local anesthetic before doing the procedure.

Has anyone here had something like this done in the doctors office and how well was it tolerated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joy513 For This Useful Post:
Eiltravel (02-08-2012)
Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

AngieNYC HB User
Re: Office procedure for polyp removal sounds barbaric.

I had a polyp removed in the office, she took it out right after she spotted it during the exam, didn't hurt, I felt a little tug, but she was so fast it was really nothing. She gave me a pad afterwards because of the light spotting, then that was it, no drama whatsoever. It's a common procedure, they send the polyp out for testing to make sure its benign. I also had a couple further up the cervix, that required a separate appointment/procedure where I was given a wonderful mild sedative, I took a nap and when I woke up it was over, I had some mild cramping, I put another pad on and took a cab home, and napped off the rest of the sedative. But you shouldn't worry, they remove polyps in the office all the time, ask her if some Tylenol will take care of any pain you may have afterwards. For a vaginal polyp you can walk right out the office.

**Edit* If she is saying you'll need a suture then yes the local anesthesia is the way to go. After you wake up (twilight nap) you can lay there for a few until you feel you can get up.

Last edited by AngieNYC; 06-11-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

Joy513 HB User

Thanks for your reply. By mild sedative.....is it a pill your doctor gave you prior to the procedure or was it something given to you IV? I asked my doctor if there wasnt' something she could give me to help me relax and she said she would give me something as long as I had a driver to drive me home. I have no idea what it is she would give me. How about the speculum she used so she could see what she was doing? Was it larger than the usual one they use for just a pap test? I'm assuming they need a larger one so they have more room to manipulate inside and get a good view of what they are doing. Do you have any recollection of being uncomfortable when she put in the speculum?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

AngieNYC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy513 View Post
Thanks for your reply. By mild sedative.....is it a pill your doctor gave you prior to the procedure or was it something given to you IV? I asked my doctor if there wasnt' something she could give me to help me relax and she said she would give me something as long as I had a driver to drive me home. I have no idea what it is she would give me. How about the speculum she used so she could see what she was doing? Was it larger than the usual one they use for just a pap test? I'm assuming they need a larger one so they have more room to manipulate inside and get a good view of what they are doing. Do you have any recollection of being uncomfortable when she put in the speculum?

Sorry for the late reply, it was an IV, the small butterfly needle. Knocked me right out. I don't remember all the equiptment she used or how big it was, it mustve been ok because when I woke up I felt fine, it didnt hurt, I just felt a little crampy and had some spotting that was it.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:14 AM   #5
(female)

spinaltap HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy513 View Post
My GYN discovered a vaginal polyp yesterday during an exam. It's not attached to the cervix, but rather it is attached to the vaginal wall and about the size of a small grape. It's attached to a stalk. She said they are benign and very common. I'm 59 and just the exam yesterday, was a bit uncomfortable with the pinching feeling from the speculum. She wanted to remove the polyp yesterday in her office, but she would have to use a much larger speculum to do the procedure, and didnt' think I could tolerate it.

Now she's going to wait two months while she has me on Estrace Cream twice a week, hoping that it will make my vaginal area "more pliable" and then be able to use the larger speculum.

I was surprised that they took vaginal polyps out in the office and that it wasn't day surgery with anesthesia. To remove the polyp in her office she is going to use a "lasso" to wrap around the polyp. Then she is going to make a cut above the "lasso" and there will be just one stitch/suture which she said will be purple in color and will fall out of the vagina on its own. She is going to use a local anesthetic before doing the procedure.

Has anyone here had something like this done in the doctors office and how well was it tolerated.
Yes i had this done yesterday it didnt hurt taking it out but today sore
and bleeding not that much, let me know the outcome of yours.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User

Please do not respond to messages older than 30 days or so. Always start a new thread if the one you wish to respond to is old, especially if you have your own questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Closed Thread