It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

morgyporgy HB User
headaches before period

i am 42 yrs. old and have always had a normal period. about 1 yr. ago my periods became crazy. i would have 1 every 2-3 weeks, or not have 1 for 5 wks. i realize considering my age that perimenopause may be the culprit. well now for the last 4 mths. or so i get this headache about 2 days before i start and it will go away completely when i start. this is literally a 2 day headache that really brings me down. i think it may be migraine related because i am sensitive to light and sound. my dr. said she believes this is all a part of the perimenopause but i was wondering if anyone else experiences this. i have never been a headache sufferer and i have a new found respect for people who suffer chronic headaches. i do not get a headache until my period. i do not have insurance and the dr. i do go to is a pain management dr. who is very understanding. she is wonderful. any info or input? ty ev1 and hagd. morgy

Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: headaches before period

It's normal. Just before your period your estrogen levels drop. You could be getting closer to perimenopause and your hormone levels are not as high as they use to be. Which could explain the last 4 months of headache pain. Your serotonin drops before your period too.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 06-12-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

okwdvc HB User
Re: headaches before period

I can so relate. I am the same age and have had the exact same symptoms as you. I never could really understand people that complained so much about headaches. I would get maybe one a year and it was never bad. Last year I started to get the evil hormonal headaches. OMG! How truly horrible.

I did get some samples for some migraine meds from the doctor. They worked but they are ridiculously priced even with our insurance. I take Excedrin Migraine. They help but give me horrible heartburn (something else I never experienced until last year). I am very sensitive to caffeine which is what the Excedrin is so I only take one instead of the recommended dose of two. If I take it the second I feel it starting, it usually makes it so I can continue to function. If I wait too long, the pill doesn't do anything. Good luck. It stinks getting older! lol

Lisa

Closed Thread