It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

legalrun HB User
Menstrual Cramp=Trip to ER

The first night of my most recent period, I woke in the most excrucating pain of my life. I was cold but dripping sweat, the pain was so intense my vision was distorted and I felt like I was going to vomit. I got down two Aleve but after 45 minutes of no improvment my boyfriend took me to the Emergency Room. Because of the location of my pain the doctor thought it may be my appendix. They did a catscan (after injections of morphine) and found nothing but an ovarian cyst on the opposite side of the pain. They diagnosed the pain as being mestrual related and gave me a prescription painkiller.

Has anyone else been through this? I've never had problems with my periods. Should I follow up with my Gyno?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Re: Menstrual Cramp=Trip to ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalrun View Post
The first night of my most recent period, I woke in the most excrucating pain of my life. I was cold but dripping sweat, the pain was so intense my vision was distorted and I felt like I was going to vomit. I got down two Aleve but after 45 minutes of no improvment my boyfriend took me to the Emergency Room. Because of the location of my pain the doctor thought it may be my appendix. They did a catscan (after injections of morphine) and found nothing but an ovarian cyst on the opposite side of the pain. They diagnosed the pain as being mestrual related and gave me a prescription painkiller.

Has anyone else been through this? I've never had problems with my periods. Should I follow up with my Gyno?
I say definitely follow up with the Gyno. If it was a cyst causing the pain (even if it was on the opposite side), it probably will continue to cause pain if it's not removed or treated. The doc. will probably want to keep an eye on it. Is this the first time you've had an ovarian cyst?

I've never been through what you have.. but my friend was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovaries). She's been through a list of problems. With the right doctor and medications she's no longer experiencing most of the problems she was having.

I'd defintely follow up with your regular Gyno though. I'm sure they'd like to know about it, and keep it in their own records. And having a second or third medical opinion is never a bad thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

JC_Ladida HB User

I've been through ovarian cysts, and I know they can get very painful, even on the opposite side. It's kind of like how your arm hurts when you have a stroke or heart attack, they're ghost pains. So I agree with Jen, sometimes these cysts can be lethal, they're not something to take lightly. On the other hand, cysts appear all the time, most of the time unnoticed. But that's no reason to not see your gyn. Rather be safe a few bucks poorer than in a serious situation, right?

Have you had problems with mentrual cramps before though? Because that is a very likely problem, too. I have a friend who has very severe cramps, as in pass out and vomit kind. If it's happend before, it might be a likelier cause. I hope you feel better soon, though. And that it isn't anything serious.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I'd make a gyno appointment. My mom had one that was never seen by an ultra sound. It was like under the backside of the ovaries. She started bleeding one night thought it was her period but the cyst had burst and ripped her insides. She needed emergency surgery to save her life she was DOA arriving at the ER. They found the tear sewed it up bumped in blood and shocked her heart to bring her back.

Not saying that this is what's going to happen to you but you should not take these things lightly. A good % of the time they come and go or just hang out in the body without causing too much disturbance.

I have many on each ovary and in each breast. They are mosy annoying. Mostly right before my period. Good Luck,

Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
(female)

Bluesy HB User

No, this has never happened to me, but I do have really bad cramps. Often to the point that I want to cry. I would definately make a follow up appointment just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
(female)

legalrun HB User

Thank you for your replies everyone.

I have NEVER had problems with cramping before. Of course I have had painful cramps, but usually Midol makes it go away and I can continue normally. The doctor in the ER said the cyst was no big deal, but couldn't explain why I'd been in so much pain.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
(female)

Trackerk HB User

I don't have those incapacitating cramps anymore...they just went away. But when I was a teenager and right into my late 30's. Every once in a while I would get the most excruciatingly painful cramps...sweats/vomiting/diahrea etc. Painkillers wouldn't help, but one thing that helped a little bit was lying in a hot bath.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
(female)

declansmom HB User

I have had those pains. I was finally diagnosed with endometriosis after seeing several Drs. Talk to your Gyno about endo as a possibility.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

remtana HB User

I've had ovarian cysts and pain for 15 years. I was 17 years old and had to have 1/2 an ovary removed to to a cyst the size of a grapefruit, my junior year of high school. Had problems with them ever since.

Cysts, even the smallest ones, can cause lots of pain. And some, cause you no trouble at all.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
(female)

legalrun HB User

It has been about 6 weeks since the original incident of this post occured. About 5 days ago I thought I had a dreadful UTI. I constantly felt the need to urinate, but hardly had anything to release. I woke up early this morning with the same pain as before. I took the painkillers I was prescribed last time, but the pain increased continually. After 3 hours of no relief I was taken to the ER again. This time I was vomitting. They did another catscan and found a kidney stone. Apparently the stone had comfortably hidden itself before the first catscan. I was given lots of painkiller and fluids, and after 9 hours of pain the stone was passed.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else should have a similar experience. Thank you everyone for your advice

Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
(female)

legalrun HB User

This experience has become a nightmare for me. The first two days after passing the stone I felt better than I had in months. I started feeling ill Friday night, and by Sunday evening I was having pains similar to when I passed the stone. My parents scheduled an appointment with a Urologist first thing Monday morning. There they did an IVP, where they inject dye through an IV and take xrays of the kidneys. After one hour the dye had not drained; obviously something was blocking my kidney. The doctor scheduled an operation for the next morning. Coming out of surgery I felt much better, but I now have a rubber tube (stint) running between my kidney and bladder. The second stone tore things up pretty bad. I have the stint for two weeks, along with lots of swelling and bleeding. I return to the doctor's office in 5 days for the results of the stone analysis.

I am 21 years old, and kidney stones do not run in my family. I haven't drank any type of soda since I was 10 years old. If you experience anything similar to this, or unusual lower back pains that will not cease, please DO NOT HESITATE to contact a Urologist. It is better to be sure than to prolong the process and cause further damage.

Last edited by legalrun; 08-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Closed Thread