It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User
UTI tests negative what else could it be???

I am a 23 yr. old female. I have been having a frequent urge to urinate and pain in my lower abdomen along with an inflammed feeling down there. I have been to the doctor and they did a urine test to see if it was a UTI and that was negative so then they prescribed me medicine for a yeast infection. That didn't work either. What is going on does anyone have any advice? I have an appt. with a Gynecologist on Monday but I am in pain!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
(female)

Megn80 HB User
Re: UTI tests negative what else could it be???

Have you had a ultrasound for Ovarian Cysts or possibly Endometriosis? You could mention that to your Gyn. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Have you had any sexual contact? Gonorrhea can be mistaken for a bladder or vaginal infection. You do not have to have intercourse to catch gonorrhea. You can be a virgin and catch it.

Chlamydia can be transmitted during vaginal, anal, or oral sex and cause burning when urinating. In some women they get lower abdominal pain, low back pain, nausea, fever, pain during intercourse, or bleeding between menstrual periods.

Buring when urinating is a sign of more than just a yeast infection.

Endometriosis can cause burning and pain too. Cysts as far as I am aware do not cause burning while urinating but can casue cramping

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 07-18-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I did have chlamydia about a month and a half ago but I was treated for it and things got better for 3 weeks. Then I started feeling like this again but I went in for a re-test and I tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. I just don't know if somehow the chlamydia came back? But I don't know how it could because my boyfriend was treated too but his test results were negative and he never had it to begin with. I haven't been with anyone else but him in a year.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

lakelog HB User

You could have stones in your bladder or tubes trying to get into your bladder. Have you been having a urine dip test or a full urinalysis that can detect blood in your urine? I know how bad you may feel. I am on bladder suppression therapy for the next several months to help with my pain but I have also had kidney stone attacks frequent the last 2 years. You can get over the counter Azo to help until they figure something out.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
(female)

Kickle HB User

Interstitial Cystitis. I have it and it has all those symptoms. See a Uro-Gynocologist.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
(female)

Leeshy HB User

I agree with Kickle. In fact just yesterday I went to the urogynecologist. He thinks I have both IC and endometriosis (a lot of women who have endo also have IC). Your symptoms definitely seem to meet the IC criteria. If you're anywhere near Palo Alto, CA, I highly recommend Dr. Eric Sokol, my urogynecologist. I'm also young (21) and wasn't too crazy about the idea of seeing a guy dr. but he was super nice, helpful and very intelligent so it never felt awkward at all. Plus you get seen by the resident 1st, who's a girl, and she stays with you thru the whole visit and does a lot of the "hands-on" examining too.

There's also Dr. Christopher Payne (sp?), a urologist at Stanford who's on some prestigious board for IC and does research on IC for the NIH.

If u r diagnosed w/IC be prepared for some dietary changes. I can deal with the no tomato, citrus, soy, spicy, vinegar, etc but no chocolate, wine or coffee?! SERIOUSLY?! Might as well kill me now Actually I do have a small cup of coffee in the AM, a couple glasses of wine per week and chocolate once in awhile, but I drink TONS of water and have eliminated almost all the other "don'ts" from my diet so my dr. is cool with it. Point is, you can find ways to work it so you don't have to sacrifice all your vices

Hope you get some help and relief soon!!

Closed Thread