It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Cyst in breast

What is the procedure with a cyst in the breast? My mammogram last year showed a spot; had a sonogram and was told it was a cyst. It was right in the middle of my right breast, deep. No pain, no problem! July 4th this year I woke up to tender breasts (period started the 7th), but noticed a big lump on my right breast. My annual was the other day and my doctor scheduled a mammogram and mentioned possibly seeing a surgeon depending on how this turns out. Is it drained, surgically removed? It's not painfull, but tender. It's kinda like it "floated" upward overnight!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Cyst in breast

I've had them turn up on a mammogram, had an ultrasound to confirm that's what it was and they tell me don't worry about it.....they come and go

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I was told that last year. Had this now for 2 weeks and if anything, it is getting more tender, possibly larger. I'd guess it to be about the size of a very large marble. I'm thinking for the fact that it's growing, tender and protruding on the top of my breast, something may be done. Did talk to my sister in law a bit ago and she said she had to have one removed many years ago. Not really worried, just wondered if anyone has had one drained or removed. Maybe a day off work?! Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I had a lump removed from my right breast. I had a mammogram and was told it was a lump and was not sure what kind it was but that it should be removed. It caused a bit of soreness but nothing I could not handle unless my cat would jump on me or my BF tried to handle my breast.

At the time of surgery they inserted a needle with a wire so that the surgeon would know where to cut. The radiologist asked if it was cancer and I said I had no idea that is why I was here to have it removed and see what it was. He gave me the 3rd degree and asked me why I would opt for surgery before seeing if it was cancerous. I told him I was not given an option.

He rolled his eyes at me and said , "A biopsy is done the same way as I am inserting this wire it just pulls out a piece of tissue and send it off to the lab"

I felt so stupid. It was non cancerous and was a fibrous cyst. I have them on both my ovaries and in both breast. I was 22 when I had the surgery. I have a scar because the surgeon cut my on my nipple instead of on the edge.

If I ever have to go for a breast cyst again I will get a biopsy first. The surgery was unnecessary

Old 07-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

mine never were that large or problematic. Sometimes one is tender and it's really deep and if I press on it a certain way I can feel it. I've heard that we should lay off the caffeine if we are prone to cysts in our breasts......

Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's one of the reasons I got off caffeine...I've had a small one for over 25 years...getting off the caffeine really helped!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

i noticed a small marble sized lump in my left breast a few months back. luckily, i know a breast surgeon and she got me right in. they decided to do an ultrasound first since i'm only 26, and they found 3 fluid-filled cysts. she said it was completely up to me whether or not to have them "drained". she said most women don't since they will likely come back. i have a 6 month follow up with her, or she just said if anything changes to call her. they also said the same thing about cutting back the caffiene.

guess they are rather common, and unless they are harmful-they told me i can just leave them be for now.

hope that helps! good luck

Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

I have had 1 cyst drained. It was my first cyst and I just wanted it gone. The aspiration is no big deal. They numb the area a little, put a needle in and drain. My clinic did send the fluid in for testing but many places don't as long as the fluid isn't bloody. I have since had many more cysts that I have just left alone. Some have gone away on there own, I have one large one that has been there for over 2 years. It gets sore once in awhile, but causes me no problems. As long as an ultrasound confirms a cyst, the choice is yours if you want to leave it or do something about it. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded. I'm sure I will have an ultrasound next Monday when I have my mammogram. My doctor did say he would like me to see a surgeon if he thinks it is necessary and have tests run on the cyst. It doesn't hurt, just uncomfortable at times when trying to sleep.
Thanks!
Oh yea, caffeine; maybe a total of a cup of coffee in the morning, that's all for me.

Closed Thread