It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

okwdvc HB User
Cramps, irregular periods in Pre-teen

My DD turned 12 in May. Her first period was in January when she was 11. Her next period was a day after turning 12 in May. Her third period started yesterday.

For a year before her first period, she seemed to have pseudo-periods. Every six weeks or so she would have cramping, acne and eat a great deal.

The three periods she has had have caused major cramping. She doesn't eat for two days and is just miserable. The cramps wake her up in the middle of the night. Tylenol isn't helping. She is NOT one to complain so I don't think she is exaggerating.

Any suggestions? Is there a better pain reliever? Can a doctor do anything? Pediatrician or GYN? Thanks for any suggestions.

Lisa

Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
Re: Cramps, irregular periods in Pre-teen

It sounds like she could have Polycystic Ovaries. You should take her to the Gyno. Most likely, they'll want to put her on a birth control pill to regulate her cycle.

If it is PCOS, there's no cure, but it can be managed. Do an online search for specifics.

In the mean time, to help with the cramping... she can use a heating pad, drink hot tea or hot chocolate, Midol is my drug of choice during my monthly. Also, as much as no-one ever wants to move while in pain, exercise really does help relieve cramps. Avoiding caffine, and sugary foods during your period can help decrease symptoms.

Last edited by jen52983; 07-24-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

declansmom HB User

Could be endometriosis developing. I think she is too young to be checked, but they check through a laproscopy surgery. I am only 28, but have had endo symptoms from the day of my period back when I was 11. BC pills will help alot until she is older to be checked.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I've always heard that a girl should start seeing a Gyno as soon as she's started her period. Most people never do that because 12 does seem really young for a Gyno.. thats why they say once you turn 18 you really need to start going. But if she's having problems, then i think a doctor is the best way to go. If you're not comfortable taking her to a Gyno, then make an apointment with her General Physician.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Try Aleve - it works better than Tylenol for cramps. Doctors used to prescribe it as "anaprox" for cramps. And at her age, she's going to be fluctuating and having weird symptoms for a while. Her body has to get itself regulated. And she's not accustomed to this either! She'll figure out what helps her cramps, etc as time goes on. Everyone is different.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
(female)

okwdvc HB User

Thanks everyone. I did get her in to see the pediatrician today and she did not seem concerned about cysts or anything else. She felt it was just cramps. The doctor said to use Ibuprofen and that I was not giving her enough. She said she should have 600 to 800 mg the second the cramps start and 400 mg every 6 hours after.

I will try this out for next month but I better see some relief. If she can't move or eat for three days even after the heavy dose of Motrin, I am going to look for a Gyn to take her to. She happened to weight herself on Friday and she weighed 92 pounds. At the doctor today she weighed 88 pounds. I am hoping the difference is just the scales and she hasn't lost 4 pounds from this.

Lisa

Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I suffered with severe cramps for a long time, still do, only now it will change month to month. I'm talking about crippling, nauseating, on the floor in tears cramps. As i said in my first post Midol seems to be the only thing that gives me any kind of releif, but also, when I was on Yasmin my cramps were practically non-exsistant.

Closed Thread