It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

winnie23 HB User
Gynecological Exam Etiquette?

I went to my first exam 2 years ago, and I'm about to go again next month. I was wondering if someone could clarify this for me.

When I was called to go to the actual examination room I was actually alone for a significant amount of time, and when my NP came she seemed surprised that I hadn't changed into the gown already. Was I supposed to?

I just want to make sure I don't commit the same faux pas again.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
(female)

LCGirl HB User
Re: Gynecological Exam Etiquette?

When the nurse first brings me into the exam room, she has always told me if I should undress, or if the doctor will talk to me first and then will need to undress. In your situation, when brought into the exam room I would just ask the nurse before she leaves if you should go ahead and undress and put on the gown or drape.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They always tell me to undress. But I agree, if she doesn't tell you, just ask if you are supposed to disrobe at that time.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
(female)

Andrea84 HB User

You didn't commit the faux pas, the nurse did in not instructing you. They always tell me to undress and put the gown on and whether it should be open in the back or the front. If they don't tell you which way to put the gown on ask them "open in the back?"

Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

winnie23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCGirl View Post
When the nurse first brings me into the exam room, she has always told me if I should undress, or if the doctor will talk to me first and then will need to undress. In your situation, when brought into the exam room I would just ask the nurse before she leaves if you should go ahead and undress and put on the gown or drape.
That makes a lot of sense. I was so nervous the first time that I didn't even think about the gown stage.

Thanks for the responses LC and Titch!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

winnie23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea84 View Post
You didn't commit the faux pas, the nurse did in not instructing you. They always tell me to undress and put the gown on and whether it should be open in the back or the front. If they don't tell you which way to put the gown on ask them "open in the back?"
Thanks for the response Andrea! The tip about the opening is great. I never thought of the gown being open in the front, but in retrospect it makes sense.

Closed Thread