It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

susiehf HB User
Pain in area of ovary

I am a 44 year old woman. I started having lower left abdominal pain one month ago. A few days later, I started having diarrhea every morning. Dr. did blood work - I donít know what they specifically checked for, but results were ok. Dr. did a pelvic exam, didnít feel anything unusual on the ovary, but said it may be an ovararian cyst which would resolve itself. It didnít. Had a CT scan with good results. I was relieved, but pain continued. Throwing up his hands, Dr. sent me to gastroenterologist, who put me on dicyclomine for irritable bowel and told me to come back in 6 weeks. Both of these doctors werenít concerned about ovarian cancer since diarrhea isnít a symptom. However, because I didnít feel like they were helping me at all, I did some checking and found out that digestive problems are indeed a symptom of ovarian cancer, which is apparently difficult to detect.

Other relevant details: Pain is not constant, but it is constantly lurking; it is definitely centered in the lower left abdomen and can range from burning to sharp. Seems to help to press on it. Have had some lower back pain and some instances of feeling bloated, but my appetite is good. Bowels are now swinging between diarrhea and slight constipation, but it doesnít really feel like a digestion issue. I had a uterine ablation several years ago so I donít have periods, but it feels rather like menstrual cramps.

My thought is to ask for an ultrasound. Of course I donít want to feel like a paranoid idiot. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether, if there was a problem with an ovary, it would show up on a CT scan or physical exam? Or is ultrasound the only way to detect? Would there necessarily be an elevated white blood cell count, so that if they did check that and it was fine, I can forego the ultrasound?

Thanks for any help...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

katrina_35 HB User
Re: Pain in area of ovary

Hi, i was just reading your ****...I too have been going through the same symptoms and was told i had a cyst on my left ovary and that it might have ruptured...my doctor did a pelvic exam and didn't feel anything but i am going to get an ultrasound in 2 weeks?

Did you ever find out what it was with you?

Thanks

Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User
Re: Pain in area of ovary

I am 27 and have had problems with large and extremely painful cysts on my ovaries (I've been hospitalized twice because of it).

None of the doctors really knew what to do or thing (I went through tests and nothing seemed out of place for me).

The last time my pain really bothered me, I went to my family doctor (about 3 years ago). He changed my birth contril - with more estrogen. I haven't had any problems since.

Could you have any estrogen issues? Pre-menopausal?

Closed Thread