It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

palindrome144 HB User
Bloody Discharge Between Periods

I am seventeen years old, and about a week ago while using the restroom I noticed that I had a small amount of discharge that had a little bit of a brown tinge to it. It didn't really worry me, because it was only once and I had never noticed it before. The rest of the day was fine. This happened probably every day for the past week---it wasn't A LOT of blood. It was more like after you've finished with your period and about two days later you still get discharge with a slight brownish tint. This is disgusting, but the only thing I can compare it to is whenever you blow your nose and there is sometimes blood in your mucus. It also was not constant---I would wipe myself ofter using the restroom and would see it, but two hours later I wouldn't get it any more. I am not sexually active or on any type of birth control pill. There is no odor or anything to go along with it. I am not due to have my period until August 27.

Well, I just went to the restroom earlier and noticed it again, only this time, it's more red with actual dischargy blood instead of just brown, and after wiping a few times I still get it. Today it's like I am just starting my period, even though it's not due for another week or so.

I've researched this online, and I keep getting references to pregancy and birth control pills, which do not apply to me, but I also saw a few references to stress. I just started college two days ago and it has been worrying me like crazy. Do you think that this could be triggering it? Can stress cause spotting and starting your period early? I've been menstruating for six years and I've never been irregular before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

miss_kawasaki HB User
Re: Bloody Discharge Between Periods

this makes it a bit harder since your 17 and aren't on birth control as you've read it is the usual cause for mid-cycle bleeding/spotting.

Are you sexually active?
if yes, then sometimes sexual intercourse can cause or dislodge a small amount of blood. It usually isn't anything more than that, unless there is pain....then you need to be checked by a gynecologist.

If your not sexually active then there are 2 things it might be...
(1) when we masturbated sometimes a small amount of spotting occurs, due to the lining walls of the vagina being soft.

(2) the other thing.... your 17 years old and your hormones are all over the place. It can take a little while for these to settle down, sometimes there might be more of one hormone and less of another through your cycle (which I don't know are regular?) if you find they aren't regular and you continue to spot bleed through the cycle then I would get a referral to a gynecologist, which isn't a bad idea since we should be having regular 12monthly check ups with them anyway. If they are regular then it could just be a hiccup of the hormone kind and will settle down over the next 6-8wks.

:: hope this helps ::

Last edited by miss_kawasaki; 08-19-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
(female)

tara87 HB User

I am having a similar issue, except I have been on Yaz since February. This is the first time that I've had any type of discharge (or possibly breakthrough bleeding.) I noticed it about 4 days ago. The first day there was only one instance of the discharge. The next day, barely anything. Yesterday and today it is like the end days of a period. I'm not due for my period until the 24th or so.

I've been thinking something is wrong with me, another board mentioned it was just breakthrough bleeding/spotting, but would that last 4 days? Its a little heavier today than the other 3, but only still the amount like the end of a period.

Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
(female)

palindrome144 HB User

Something strange about this is---even though when I wipe myself I get some blood on the toilet-paper, I don't get any in my underwear at all.

I think what I'm going to do is wait until I get my period which should be in about a week and see if it goes away after that.

Whenever I wake up in the morning, the blood is very minimal and is brown, and after I shower there's nothing, and then after about three hours there is reddish blood, but it's not the thick kind. It's very thin and just sort of bits of it mixed with whitish discharge.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

prklamert HB User

As a teenager with your hormones all over and the stress of starting college, I don't think it is anything to worry about at least for now. If you continue to have this through your next couple of cycles than I agree it would be a good idea to go in to a gynecologist.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

e-squared HB User

I have also had this problem. I am 37, and I am on day 29 of bleeding. I had a normal cycle in Sept. I thought I was stopping, but everyday I had the brown or bright red spotting. I wasn't due to start until Oct. 5th, however, I started bleeding back heavily again on Sept. 28th. My mood has been horrible...poor DH. I have not been very pleasant to be around..and normally I don't have the moodiness. I don't know what is going on. I have an appointment in Nov. Am I too young to be starting menopause?

Closed Thread