It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
(female)

bella1829 HB User
Exclamation I am tiny and I need to gain weight, but I don't know how! Help!!

I am 21 years old, 5'2" and weigh less than 100lbs. I've always been a picky eater but I do enjoy eating a lot of things. My parents keep telling me I have to gain weight, and I definitely agree- although I don't look like I'm starving, just skinny. I'm currently at 93lbs because I was recently sick and lost about 3-4lbs from where I was before. I'm trying to find foods that are high in calories to eat but I'm not too sure. Anyone have some suggestions? My mom keeps telling me to eat lots of ice cream and milkshakes but I'm lactose intolerant and can only handle so much ice cream before my stomach goes crazy. I really would like to gain about 10lbs to make myself look really healthy. Please help me!!!!!

Last edited by bella1829; 08-25-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added my age!

Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
(female)

bjmoo HB User
Re: I am tiny and I need to gain weight, but I don't know how! Help!!

I can just hear the groans out there, no one wants to talk about needing to gain weight, but I understand b/c I'm the same. Not as tiny (5'5") but just as thin at only 113 lbs. I've decided it's genetic and not to fight it, but I know I look too thin to be healthy. People have asked what's wrong and advised that I'm too thin. This annoys me -- I mean, would they also tell someone they look too heavy? I don't think so. What people don't understand is that it's just as frustrating for us as for those who are overweight. It's all about health, strength and self-image.
====================

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella1829 View Post
I am 5'2" and weigh less than 100lbs. I've always been a picky eater but I do enjoy eating a lot of things. My parents keep telling me I have to gain weight, and I definitely agree- although I don't look like I'm starving, just skinny. I'm currently at 93lbs because I was recently sick and lost about 3-4lbs from where I was before. I'm trying to find foods that are high in calories to eat but I'm not too sure. Anyone have some suggestions? My mom keeps telling me to eat lots of ice cream and milkshakes but I'm lactose intolerant and can only handle so much ice cream before my stomach goes crazy. I really would like to gain about 10lbs to make myself look really healthy. Please help me!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

MusicElle HB User

If you don't feel sick, then just eat how you want and stop when your full there is no need to stuff yourself. The previous poster is right its probably genetic. You seem young, though I don't know that for sure. If you are still in your teens then don't worry your body will change plenty as you get older. I was relatively thin in my teens I was 5'2" 115. then I hit my 20s and my breasts and hips just popped out, so you never know how you will change as you get older

Old 08-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
(female)

bjmoo HB User

The last message is correct, you will develop a different body shape as you get older. I have seen this with my daughter who is in her 20's. However, as I stated in my first reply in this thread, thin-ness may be genetic for the rest of your life.
Metabolisms differ. Don't worry, you will appreciate it as I do when you are in your 60's.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I can totally relate, I was tall and naturally thin when I was younger and got the "eat! you're too thin", but I filled out, finally.

Anyway, I don't want to contradict your mother, but filling up in ice cream isn't the way to go. You don't want to stuff yourself with just fat and sugar, that will just put fat on you, and yes, skinny people can have fat blobs on them, lol.

What you want is healthy stuff, high-protien, with nutritional value so you get a nice balance of muscle and padding. If you eat meat, go for it. Tell your mom you'd like more steaks please

And stuff like spagetti and meatballs. And once you are back to your normal weight, don't worry about it. As long as you are eating healthily, you will be fine. Some people are just naturally thin so don't start trying to fatten up, it may come back to haunt you later.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
(female)

crowgirl HB User

One thing you could try is eating more healthy, calorie-dense foods, e.g. nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc., as snacks in between meals. Also, rapeseed oil is a good source of healthy fats and can be added to vegetables, salads, tomato juice, etc.

If you can afford it, you could also go and see a dietician or nutritionist. They can give you more specific advice tailored to your personal situation.

HTH!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
(female)

ohso_intricate HB User

i am also like you. but i'm a tad skinnier. 5'3" and like, 88 pounds. i was in gymnastics for a while. and i have always been active. but my mom tells me that she was just ask skinny when she was younger - & let's just say she isn't skinny anymore. ha.

but yeah, carbs, proteins, stuff like that will help.

i try to do that. but instead, i just eat whatever i want, and nothing really happens. plus, it's good to build muscle also.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

I was really sick a couple of years ago and lost over 30 lbs in 4 weeks. I am 5'8 and I got down to 110 lbs. Now I am back up to 135. I drank a lot of ensure type drinks and instant breakfast. I am quite sure that they have lactose free ones too. I also got some whey protein powder and mixed it into fruit smoothies. There are also protein bars and stuff to help people bulk up.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
(female)

xiii HB User

I was in the same situation as you. I have been skinny all my life (5' 3" and below 90 pounds). I lose weight especially fast if I become stressed! I don't know if it's due to genetics, to metabolism, or whatnot, but one thing I do know is that I have to work especially hard to maintain an attractive body. perhaps just as overweight people must work hard to become healthy, we on the other far end of the spectrum must work just as hard.

There are no quick ways to become better. It takes majoy discipline and consistency: you have to EAT and eat HEALTHILY. Do a search on the foods that you should eat and calculate how many calories, fat, protein, etc. you should intake in order to gain weight.

Personally, I gained ten pounds during one month after doing heavy but slow exercises (like lunges) to help me put on muscle while increasing how much I eat.

I also avoided activities that made me burn fat- like stressing out too much or not having enough sleep.

I could very well lose all this weight that I gained- it's happened before. The only way is to work hard at it- stuffing yourself even when you don't feel like it, exercising even when you don't want to... you must work at it. It's all about taking care of yourself.

Best of luck!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I am 5'5 and used to be 95 in highschool, I am now in my 30's and weigh about 105. For me it is mosty genetic, though I do work out a lot now...however, I eat a ton though I try to keep it healthy. If you want to add on some pounds, try protien shakes, peanut butter, nuts, avocado, cheese----more healthy fats vs ice cream.

Closed Thread