It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

pippie HB User
Unhappy Confused about pregnancy testing! Advice would be appreciated

Hello

I know, the last thing you want is another "Could I be pregnant" thread, but I have been searching around on the tinty web for hours looking for similar experiences to mine, and I just can't seem to find anything helpful. So I thought I would register here and ask as I am getting a little desperate for advice now.

On Friday I was due my period, which didn't come on that day, I was due to restart taking the pill on the first day of my period after taking a break from it for the last year and a half, my partner and I have been using condoms in all this time. Don't know if it is relevant but I am 25 - and yes I know, I should most definitely know better at 25.

For the first time ever we did something incredibly stupid and embarassing and we started to have unprotected sex when we got home from the pub. No excuses, I know. It was our own stupidity, anyway we came to our senses after about 10 minutes. Mood broken and everything we waited until the morning. We had sex - using a condom of course! and without being too gory, there was a little blood on the condom. So I popped my birth control pill. We had sex a number of times over the weekend, unprotected as it clearly states that as soon as you take the first pill you are immediately protected, and I have never had any problems in the past. Regular as clockwork. Anyway, there has been no further bleeding apart from what was on the condom. I haven't even spotted. Just nothing. I am now concerned that the blood may not have been my period starting at all, it was a lot less than usual. I don't know. From past personal experience, starting the pill on the first day of your period does not stop it so I don't think it is that, but I guess it could well be. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Some people say that having sex during your period can cause it to stop for a couple of days and resume again, I have light periods as it is and I have never experienced that. When we have sex during my period it continues as normal, for 5 days.

I guess I am just worried that if it wasn't in actual fact my period starting and the blood was something else, and I have taken the pill then I won't have been protected.

I'm now really confused as to what to do. Do I sit and wait and see if my period fully comes on? How long should I wait? Essentially if it in fact never started then I would now be five days late, but if it did start and stop immediately is that cause for concern because it has never happened to me before? Bleugh, I don't know. Should I continue taking the pill each day? Or would stopping that and seeing if I got a period be the best thing to do? If I remember correctly it used to be about the third day of not taking the pill that I came on. I am still feeling pmsy, sore breasts and getting cramp twinges every so often, I am running to the bathroom every five minutes to check if I have resumed flow.

Depending on what way you look at it I'm either in the "late" category for a home pregnancy test, or I'm in the "way too soon to test" category. Anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by pippie; 08-29-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
Re: Confused about pregnancy testing! Advice would be appreciated

Take a test you are late and should work. If you dont trust it call your dr and explain what is going on and ask to come in for a blood test. Then go from there.
As for the pill that is why calling your dr can be important. He/she can tell you what your next step should be.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread