It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Hemorrhagic Ovarian Cyst and uterine thickening - ?

I am 49 years old and have pain on my lower left side that shoots down into my groin. Not excruciating, but defininitely need pain meds for it. Went in for pelvic ultrasound and found out that I have a hemorraghic cyst on my left ovary and my uterine lining is too thick. I am freaked out! My doctor doesn't seem too concerned. He says both conditions will probably resolve on their own and is taking a wait and see approach. I am scared to death of ovarian or uterine cancer. Is this normal to just wait and see if they go away or should I be insisting on further testing? Medication? Has anybody else been in this situation and had it go away? What did you do to make it go away? I am making another appointment with my Dr. next week to talk about this but don't want to seem like a "worry wart".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

mamabear123x HB User
Re: Hemorrhagic Ovarian Cyst and uterine thickening - ?

Hi,

Don't worry if the doctor thinks you're a worry wart or not. You should be able to ask away. It's your body. If he/she seems short or unwillng to listen, get a new doctor. Believe me, decent ones that listen are hard to find.

I too have a complicated (complex) ovarian cyst but not hemorraigic. I'm having a follow-up US in 6 weeks. Based on all I've read (and I've read a lot since I was diagnosed) the "watchful waiting" approach should include a repeat US. If you've been thru menopause or if the report warrants it, I believe you should ask about an endometrial biopsy with unusual thickening. I just got one for abnormal bleeding (at 43).

Hang in there. The waiting is tough.

Mamabear

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi jrose,

I had the same sypmtoms hemorraigic a couple years ago - at 47. I also had complex and hemorraigic cysts, and a thick lining. My GYN did the endometrial biopsy - which came out normal. I continued to have follow up ultrasounds for two years (usually every 4-6 months) . I had numerous cysts that resolved and then came back. She even gave me the CA125 (blood test that may detect ovarian cancer). That was also always normal. I was really frustrated with going back so often. I felt like I lived at the GYN office. We even taked about surgery to remove the cysts and/or ovaries, but she suggested I wait.

Well last month I had my yearly exam, and another ultrasoud. No cysts at all, and my lining was thin - YEAH. But, I did have prolonged bleeding during the summer, so I had another endometrial biopsy and it was normal. It turns out that I'm not making eneough progesterone so she is having me take provera. I don't really like the idea of taking this, but I've had no side effects and it's much better than bleeding for a month straight, whcih is what was happening.

Sorry this was so long, but I thought you could see what it's been like for me over the past two years. It seems to all be very common during the peri-menopuase years - the hormones are going crazy.

I do think that having the tests and biopsy's helped ease my mind - even though it stressed me out to think something might be found - I was always happy to get good results. At this time I don't need to go back until my yearly exam next summer.

When you see your Dr again, maybe you can suggest some testing, just to prove that it's 'nothing' and will go away. You'll feel much better seeing it on paper.

Good Luck
Mary

Old 09-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Thank you for your replies. You both make a lot of sense. I am seeing my doctor next Monday and am going to insist on another ultrasound after my next period. If the lining is still thick, I think I will ask for an endometrial biopsy. ( Even though the thought of that scares me. The thought of cancer scares me even more). I am not feeling the cyst as much right now so maybe it is shrinking. Hope, Hope. I thought the comment on the progesterone was interestng. I am in perimenopause but I don't feel like my estrogen is declining. I feel like it is surging. Maybe I have too much estrogen and not enough progesterone. I am going to ask him about this too. Thank you so much for your supportive and informative comments. I will keep you posted.

Closed Thread