It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Periods are driving me crazy

Hi all,

This post might be long but I've been having problems with my periods for years now and its driving me crazy. Ok here's some background info.

I started my period when I was 10 and strangely I was as regular as clockwork. My period would arrive the same day every month and roughly around the same time. This continued until I was 16. When I was 16 my periods started arriving a week or so late then several weeks late. I saw my GP and was told its irregular periods. During this time I had a few regular periods and a few irregular ones so wasn't anything major. By the time I was 18 my periods were arriving every 2-4 months so I went back to my GP and was given a referral to the Gyno. So I saw the Gyno and he put me on Yasmin birth control, this worked but gave me terrible side effects and I carried on taking Yasmin for nearly 3 months. I fell pregnant on Yasmin and I never missed a pill or took anything to interfere with the BC pills - just one of them things I guess. I was 11 weeks pregnant and I miscarried. I saw the Gyno and he basically said I was too young to have a child. He was a pig! I told him I'm not going back on Yasmin and I want to find out what's causing my crazy periods but he just said I either go back on Yasmin or he discharges me - so I refused and he discharged me. I haven't seen a Gyno since.

My periods started to become regular (ish) by arriving every 6-7 weeks, this happened for 6 periods. Then I had 5 periods lasting 5 days in a 6 weeks - so I went back to GP who told me if it persists for 3 months to come back to her. Useless!. Then I had a very strange period which literally consisted of blood red large clots for 2 days then stopped. There was barely any blood on the pad, only blood when I wiped and also clots when I wiped. Then in June this year I was admitted to hospital with severe abdominal pains all over my right side. I was given a scan and cysts were found.....follicular cysts which the doctor believed were causing my pains. I'm still having sharp pains to this day. I was discharged 2 days later and told to see a Gyno. I haven't yet - need to see GP for referral.

My last 3 or 4 periods have lasted one day or a day and a half max. All these consists of is 2-3 hours of heavy bleeding (normal period bleeding) then it dwindles down to very light then stops. Its so strange. I've also noticed for the last 4 weeks that once a week I will have a spot of blood when I wipe and this week I've had a few spots of blood.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? It's driving me mad. I hate periods but I don't know when there going to arrive (only roughly) and Im concerned because its barely a period now. Im usually quite heavy for 5 days till it stops. I'm late now as the 6 weeks mark was 2nd this month. I give up lol.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you.

Last edited by _mystictiger_; 09-20-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Periods are driving me crazy

I've had 26 views but no replies. Someone has got to know something. I've started bleeding again now and I have shooting pains through my vagina. What is going on with me?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

The cysts can cause irregular periods...you can have your hormone levels tested for PCOS, that can cause strange periods because you tend not to ovulate and often have anovulatory bleeding (bleeding without ovulating) that can be very light or very heavy and not regular. A gyno can test your hormone levels as can an endocrinologist. Unfortunately, I don't know that there's really a treatment for PCOS except going on the pill...sometimes, losing weight can help it if you are overweight or taking Metformin if you have characteristics of insulin resistance. When women with PCOS want to try for a baby, very often they have to use Clomid to help them ovulate...there is a PCOS board here if you suspect you might have this.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Thank you for your reply. My Mum had/has PCOS and had to take Chlomid to conceive me after 11 years of trying. I really hope it isn't this. I've been having periods for 11 years. Does PCOS run in families? I was thinking of getting a referal from my GP to a Gyno but the waiting list here is ridiculous.....we're talking between 3-6 months unless I go private for the consultation.....I just wish this wasn't happening.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I would see a good Reproductive Endocrinologist if you can............. You sound like you have ovulation dysfunction which could cause irregular menses..... You need to be tested especially with your family History............go see the GYN/OB but sometimes they just do not know enough about PCOS and other disorders............try and R E.................

Good luck..................Oleander

Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hiya Oleander & thank you for your reply. I have heard that Gyno's don't know a lot about PCOS and that they seem to hand out a lot of birth control pills to regulate menses instead of determining the cause. Maybe a R.E would be best. How would I be tested for Ovulation dysfunction? Is it a blood test?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

They used to check with blood tests and ultrasound........not up on how they do it these days.. some people have a period every month but do not ovulate every month and have heavy periods. I had regular periods but had mild PCOS and had undiagnoised Insulin resistance..........

You need to be checked out.........I think it can run in families...... Get checked out by a good gyn or RE.

Let us know what happens...............Oleander

Old 09-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Thanks again for your reply. I'm hoping to get a appt tomorrow with my GP and get some bloods done. I'll mention the ovulation dysfunction.

Closed Thread