It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

O_Lilium HB User
Please help, I don't know anything about this

I didn't know where to put this so yeah..

Okay, well I'm 18 years old and have had moderately bad acne for the past 4 years or so. The doctor recommended me to start Myocycline (sp?) which I had been on for 3 years until a few weeks ago when I ran out of scripts (not for the first time obviously).

I went to the doctor today and she told me I shouldn't have been on the antibiotics for that long and also it was pigmenting the stretch marks on my back (I don't even know why I have them since I've never drastically lost weight).

So she told me I should be on the Pill. She wrote me out a script for it but I haven't gotten them yet because I don't know if I want to use it or not. It seems like the only way to get my skin in check but it all seems so complicated to me.

I don't understand the whole thing on when to take them and with the placebos and periods and all that crap.

To make it even worse, I haven't even had my period for about 6 and a half weeks now when I've had it regularly since I first got it when I was 14 and a half...

I'm not pregnant because I'm still a virgin.. I hate getting my period. It's a pain the ***. So if I start using the Pill when am I suppose to take it and I don't want to get my period back and knowing my luck I will get every bad side-effect possible with it. I hate it.

I have no idea what to do and I hate talking about this kind of stuff with people. Please help me because it's making me depressed and anxious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
(female)

EssentialPeace HB User
Re: Please help, I don't know anything about this

Most BCP's come with directions and clearly marked pills in a calender type case.

[url]http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/contraception/contraception_birth.html[/url]

Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

O_Lilium HB User

Thanks for that link. I understand all that but I still don't understand some other stuff. I found this on a site which has answered part of my question..

First Day of Period Start:

Start your pills on the first day of your period.
Continue to take one pill every day at the same time.
With this method, you do not need to use a back-up method as the pills are effective in preventing pregnancy right away.
Sunday Start: (to avoid period on weekends)

Take your first pill on the first Sunday after you begin your period-even if you are still bleeding.
If your period starts on Sunday, start your pills on that day.
For a 'Sunday start', the pills are not effective as birth control right away. You will need to use a back-up method of birth control (such as condoms) or abstain (not have intercourse) for at least 7 days.
Quick Start:

Take your first pill immediately at a convenient time.
Continue to take one pill every day at the same time.
With this method, you need to use backup pregnancy protection (such as condoms or abstinence) for at least 7 days

But I still don't understand what I should do since it seems as though I've stopped getting my period. Don't people say that it is unhealthy? I don't care if it is or not but I don't want to start taking the Pill if it means I'm going to start getting my period again.

I read somewhere else about a 3 month pack or something so you only get your period 3/4 times a year so why can't I just take it non-stop to never get it? T__T

Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI. first of all, you need to be comfortable talking to your gyn about all this, or at least his/her nurse....these are the people who should know what is going on with you AT ALL TIMES. But, since it appears you arent, this is as good as any place to start..
The whole starting your pill around your period thing...since you arent getting your period regularly, I highly doubt that its going to matter when you start it. BUT I DO THINK that once you start on the pill regularly, you will start getting your period regularly again. Having taken every pill available on the market over the past 18 years, I have been on the ones where you get placebos (sugar pills) for one week, during which time, you will get your period...and I am currently on the one where you take the pill for 4 months, and only get your period 3 times a year. Let me first tell you, it will help your skin...which one did your doctor prescribe? Many of them, are known to have things in them, to help clear up acne. No matter which one you have been prescribed, I would try it.
Pick a Sunday, take the pill as soon as you wake up, and continue doing so for the entire 21 days...you might experince breakthru bleeding the first month or two, this is normal.....you also, might not. When you reach the placebo part, it should take 2-3 days, and then you should get your period...after THIS period, start the new pack the Sunday after you get it...whether you have had your period for 2 days, or 6 days, it doesnt matter, just start it the following Sunday morning. Keep taking them at the same time EVERY day.

Once you have regulated your period, you might want to switch pills and go to one of the continuous ones...those are where you can take them 3-4 months at a time and only get your period a few times a year...but first, get regulated. You claim to be a virgin, so this shouldnt be too hard to adjust to. The first 2 months, you MIGHT have some breakthru bleeding, just spotting, nothing a panty liner wont control. You also might have soar breasts for a week or two...it goes away. You MIGHT feel bloated, this also goes away. BUt, the pills on the market now, have such low estrogen, that you wont get the side effects that you USED to hear about. Its important that you talk to your doctor about anytying you experince which is unusual for you and that you go for checkups at least once a year...twice a year, if you can do so. You can look into free clinics for a semi-annual checkup as well. There arent alot of bad side effects to the pill, unless you are over 35 and smoke. The good side is your period will be regulated, your skin will clear up and of course, you will be protected, should you decide to become sexually active.

Im 40 years old. I have been on the pill most of my adult life, simply to prevent the skin issues and prevent pregnancy...Ive found that being on the pill is actually great! I can plan vacations around my period, know ahead of time when is a good time or bad time to schedule doctors appoitnments, etc. Im having a tubal in january, and am actually thrilled not to be taking the pill any longer, but really scared, as Ill probably have my period for a few months straight, after being on the pill for so many years! However, Ive had my family, and the time has come for me to permeanetly prevent more children! In your case, I would NEVER recommend something like that, however I cant think of a single reason why you shouldnt go on the pill.
Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

O_Lilium HB User

Thank you for your help MSNik. That explained a lot more of what I needed to know.

It's going to be a problem for me taking it at the same time each day though because I get up at different times for uni and I work casually a few nights too. The only time I would be able to take it daily would be at 10pm. Does it matter if it's at night?

My Mum went and bought the pills even though I am still hesitant towards it. The script was for 3 packets of 28 pill Brenda 35 ED, whatever that means..

And I still think this is a bad time to start experimenting with things like this considering I am going overseas for 5 weeks in a month. The doctor said something about going overseas and not getting my period but I don't think those are the right ones for this matter.. I don't know..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. It wont matter if you stick to a 10 pm nightly pill, as long as you are consistent with the time. If you are off by an hour, its okay. But you dont want to take it in the AM one day, and the PM the next...you have to stick to every 24 hours or as close to it as you can.
As for the overseas trip- as long as you have enough pills with you to carry you thru, it shouldnt be a problem> On the bright side, the very worst that can happen is youll get your period again. Thats not the end of the world. Last year, I was dx with Multiple Scerlosis, last month I traveled overseas with syringes for my medication....that was alot of fun! Try going thru customs with syringes..it can be done! Birth control pills can fit in your pocketbook! Syringes need special permits to be taken on board!

I think you should seriously consider starting these pills this weekend....what do you have to lose? At least give yourself a chance to get used to them before your trip.
Good luck to you...
nikki

Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

If you're worried about taking it at the same time, they have one know that can be taken without water. Also, have you considered Depo-Provera (a shot that lasts 3 months) or the patch?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
(female)

O_Lilium HB User

About the shot or patch that tigerbuddy mentioned, I don't know what they are but if that is more for the contraception then I won't really need that. The only reason I'm taking this thing is for my stupid acne. But thank you for suggesting it.

To everyone who replied, thank you for your help. I'm sure my Mum will force me into taking them anyway so I guess I'll have to start this Sunday..

Bye.
-O Lilium

Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
(female)

country_cinders HB User

O_Lilium, I had multiple reactions reading your posts and the post of those that replied to you.

My first reaction is that yes BCP are commonly used to treat severe acne in women and the pills are much safer than they used to be.

Actually my first reaction really was curiosity as to why you have not had a period in 6 weeks if you have been so regular since you started having them at 14. Are you under a lot of stress at school or planning your trip overseas? stress could be the problem and thus not really a big deal. Did you mention the lack of a period to your doctor or your Mum before you were given the prescription for the BCPs?

Another reaction I had was to your mention that your Mum will probably force you to take the pills. I do not image that you mean she will stand over you and actually physically force you to swallow them, but I still get the feeling that you do not want to take them. Just because everyone says these pills are good for your acne and they are much safer then they were in the old days, does not mean that you have to take them if you are not comfortable taking them. It is your body and you have to be comfortable with what you do to it and what you put in it.

Something else I wanted to say was that if you do chooseto take the BCPs, you can take them when it is best in your schedule so long as it is with an hour or so of the same time each day. Just like someone else posted, you just need to make sure they are near the same time every day. Check in the package directions, there may be directions as to when to take a missed pill. I recall that on many of the different kinds of pills that I have take over the years, the package told me that if I notice within a few hours of my missed pill to go ahead and take it, but not to double up.

As for the not wanting a period at all, well join the world of woman. Most of us would rather not have anything to do with it. Some because of the discomfort, some for the timing, and some for the feeling that it make it us seem weaker and frail (even if it does not). At your age though it is healthy to have a period and not having one at all may not be a healthy thing. There is the pills that have you period free for 3 month at at time. I have been on 2 different versions of it and I like being on it because I have severly irregular period with out some kind of medication to control them.

Do what is comfortable for you. Talk to your doctor often about your health and any problems you may have with yourself or with the pills. Take care of you.

I hope you have a safe enjoyable trip overseas
Cinders

Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
(female)

O_Lilium HB User

Country_cinders, I have become a lot more confident in deciding to use the pill after the replies to this topic, so thank you for your concern.

I also found it strange about my period stopping all of a sudden. I haven't been particularly stressed lately, I am quite laidback when it comes to uni. Sometimes I get a bit stressed about work, but I doubt that would be enough. It's not like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown or anything.

I've heard that if you don't weigh enough your period will stop. I know I'm quite close to being underweight according to the BMI. I'm not anorexic, I've just always been slim. I don't think I've lost any weight, if I have it would only be a kilo or two at most. But I'm not really sure because our scales aren't very good and I didn't know how much I weighed to begin with..

Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
(female)

country_cinders HB User

O_Lilium, I am glad that you are more at ease about taking the pill. Whatever you decide will be the right decision for you, because it is your decision. Plus you can always change your mind. Taking the pill is not something that you have to make a decision on and stick to for the rest of your life. You can change your mind any time you feel your life would be better with a change. Of course you would not want to make this back and forth choice every other month but you can change your mind months or even years down the road.

Good luck with your choice
Cinders

Closed Thread