It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

georgie74 HB User
Unhappy Over 16 yeast infections in the last 6 months.

And I've only been counting for that long. Prior to that I was also getting yeast infections frequently. My history is as follows: during 20s I would probably get one every 3-4 months. During my pregnancy I only got one at the very end when I was given antibiotics for Strep B. I can't exactly remember but I think I got a few yeast infections during my sons first year. Around January this year I got a cut on my foot which got infected and I had to take 2 courses of oral antibiotics plus 10 days of antibiotic injections. Since then I've been fighting recurrent yeast infections and I don't know what to do anymore.

Basically it goes like this. Itching starts, sometimes at the entrance of the vagina, sometimes on the edge of the outer lips, sometimes even as far up as above the clitoral hood. Despite where the itching started, within a few days it works it's way up or down so that the whole area is itching. Sometimes there is no discharge but a lot of redness, burning. Usually however the discharge starts pretty soon after and is a milky white with no odor. I will usually do a 6 day cream/pessary treatment so I insert the cream or pessary nightly, and twice a day I put cream on the external bits. After treatment the symptoms will go away, but only for 3 - 9 days. Then they cycle repeats itself. I've also tried using Diflucan and the creams but the result is exactly the same.

Many of the times I've been swabbed and a yeast infection shows up all the time, Candida Albicans. I am hesitant to see the doctor again because although the swabs come out showing thrush, it seems she is saying it's normal for women to have yeast (which is true) and that I shouldn't let it worry me, and I should continue to have sex. I'm 33 years old and I think I know what is normal and not normal. Severe itching, discharge, redness are not normal. Even when I've tried to have sex on the symptom free days (and I've only tried a few times since January), I get a lot of pain on the bottom half of the entrance to my vagina (i.e. the entrance towards the butt). It feels like a knife, even if I am sufficiently lubricated, and we stop very quickly.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I started itching again a few days ago and I decided to do nothing. I thought perhaps it would go away by itself, maybe it's just in my head. Unfortunately it got worse over the next few days until this morning I could think of nothing else but scratching, so I took the Diflucan and applied the cream.

I was thinking of doing my own 6 month treatment. I thought cream daily for 30 days, then every 2 days for a month, then every 3 days for a month, then every 4 days for a month... and so on, until I was only using cream once a week. My husband is understanding but our sex life has completely gone, and we don't even kiss or cuddle anymore. I just can't be bothered. I don't even masturbate anymore - my sex drive is gone!!! I need for this to be over. I don't even know how we'll ever have another child if this problem remains.

When I read up on it on the net, they say that 4 infections a year is considered recurrent. But I'm having on average 2-3 infections a month. Is there anyone else out there who gets it so frequently. I seriously have less days without thrush than with it. And by the way, I know all about not using soap, wiping from front to back, etc. and I make my own plain yogurt which I eat almost daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

duse77 HB User
Re: Over 16 yeast infections in the last 6 months.

I was having problems with yeast infections too. I tried Boric Acid suppositories and my yeast infections have slowed down a lot. I went 6 months without one. Since January ive only had 2.. Boric Acid is the only thing that worked for me. If you keep using the creams the yeast will become immune to them and they will not work anymore, same with Diflucan.. Something else that helped was to cut out sugar in my diet, and take probiotics.. Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

summerluvr HB User

please stop all the over counter treatments... they will not work, you are probably having a resistant strain. Have you taken the diflucan pill? for me Canadida was flaring every month at the end of my cycle so my dr prescribed diflucan with 12 refills and i took one every month to prevent it.. it worked.

Then i had a flare up again and i started seeing a naturopath, and was able to control it through diet .. and some herbal supplements, without meds..

sounds like you really need to balance out your system so a naturopath would help you. if you can't get in to see one then go to the drug store and buy some acidolphulus capsules.. take two in the morning and two at night, to build up your friendly bacteria. There is another supplement that is a natural antifungal called Caprylic acid.. it tastes bad and looks like a horse pill, but it works for me.. take one in the morning and one at night (you havet to buy this at a healthfood store)

Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
(female)

s3xb0mb HB User

Diflucan is an amazing med that will clear it all up. Do not have sex while you have a yeast infection, even on "symptom free" days, because the yeast can go on/in your partner's penis and they might not even feel it. You'll just end up passing it back and forth.

Go on a daily regimen of acidophillus. These are live culture probiotics. They won't cure an infection, only prevent it.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

EssentialPeace HB User

Have you changed your diet? Eliminate sugar and other foods that would cause your body to produce yeast.
You might also want to consider getting tested for STD's again.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

unfortunately I get it that often is well. Mine comes down to birth control is what triggered it all.. Never had one in my life until I started on it. I recently went off of it for awhile, but my system I guess has been so messed up that it didn't help. The only relief I had was when I was on the Depo shot, I was amazed to not have a single infection for almost a year!! Unfortunately my acne was so horrible on it I had to go off of it.

duse77.. I've heard about the boric acid capsules before, where do you buy them at?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Look into acidophilus. ITs a natural remedy, found in any health food store, usually refrigerated capsules....they dont always come refrigerated, but should be stored in the fridge once opened...ask anyone in the health food store and theyll know what you are looking for.
Acidophilus is the same pro-biotic found in yogurt...its active yogurt cultures, which prevent yeast. I too, was having way too many yeast infections, mostly because I have MS, and take alot of steriods- this actually stopped them altogether. I also have used diflucan, however, for me, it only lasted until the next IV series of Steroids, and came back.
Now, with the capsules I take I take one after each meal- I havent had a single yeast infection! Give it a try..I hope you feel better.
N

Old 10-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
(female)

georgie74 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I've tried the acidophillus before without improvement, but i think i'll try again. Today I bought a jar so wish me luck. I also eat plain yogurt daily.

Someone asked if I've taken Diflucan. Yes, I have, many times. To be honest I don't want to go on a maintenance regime of Diflucan in case I fall pregnant (i am almost celibate but you never know

I have a theory why it keeps coming back. I think the infection is actually on the skin of my inner lips and inner labia. Often it is more itchy there than the vagina and on some occasions, the itching has started right up the top and worked its way down. Even though i put cream there, because of the female anatomy with all its folds, i think some of the candida bugs are surviving and then reinfecting me.

Anyone experience an infection on the skin and any tips on getting rid of it.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #9
(female)

duse77 HB User

you can order Boric Acid powder over the internet and in some drug stores(usually sold near the Eye care section).. YOu just buy empty gelatin capsules and fill them yourself, insert as far back into the vagina as possible. The gelatin capsules will melt leaving the acid powder in your vagina which will come out as your vagina cleanses itself the next day. Yeast cannot grow in an acidic environment and therefore will die. Good bacteria thrive in an acidic environment and also make it difficult for yeast to grow. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
(female)

Picaso63 HB User

BORIC ACID DOUCHE IS THE ANSWER. I had the same problem. No prescriptions would cure it. It just kept coming back. My doctor suggested the boric acid douche. It works so well. Also make sure to use a condem or pull out. I found that the semen throws the Ph. off ballance. Stay away from sugar and take the acidophilus pills.

I know you want a sollution, but it's kind of like acne in that you just have to deal with it. If you don't it will come back. The next day after you have sex do the boric acid douche and you shouldn't get an infection.

Guys have no clue what we go through. I hope anyone reading this will post their experience also. We have to help each other

Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
(female)

jeanie80 HB User

I'm 27 and I got my first one about three months ago and couldn't figure why. I wipe from front to back, blow-dry after showering, and I don't use soap down there either. I also generally go commando, sleep in the buff, and even during my period I rarely wear underwear or a pad at night since my flow, by some great miracle or freak of nature, shuts off when I sleep. I figure I must have some pH issue because I used to live in Phoenix and I was hot and sweaty down there all summer without any problems.

That infection cleared up with OTC, the Monistat vaginal suppositories, but then two months later I got another one that's been infuriatingly persistent. I tried another 3 day, cream this time, and thought it was gone, but after my period it returned with a vengeance. Of course, just then my short-term health insurance had expired and I was in the process of looking for a new provider. I was really hoping to clear it up without a doctor visit until my application had gone through, but woke up one Sunday so uncomfortable I caved and went to an urgent care clinic. Now I've got a 25% premium increase all because of a stupid yeast infection that required an oral anti fungal ...and now I'm not even sure the darn tablets worked!

I took Fluconazole. It was a 200mg tablet per week (2 weeks if needed). I figured it had killed off at least most of the little buggers since I felt pretty crappy about 24 hours later ...and then spent the next 24 peeing every 2 hours, which was no fun at all and not even listed as a side-effect. But then I had some minor itching, so I had to take the second pill. Everything seemed fine, aside from the annoyance of my period, but now that my little friend is almost over the itching is starting to return.

I'm thinking like georgie74 that the infection is actually on the skin of my inner lips and inner labia and reinfecting me since the vaginal swab seemed to indicate that infection was already clearing up when I went but then strengthened and required the pill. But the weird thing is that I had this patch of discolored skin on my chest. I'd had it for over 10 years and the dermatologist I was going to way back when never thought anything of it and it never itched or anything. Well, the second does of Fluconazole cleared it up over night! If it worked on a skin infection, then why is my vulvar area itching again!?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
(female)

BethSmith HB User

I used to get yeast infections a lot, until I started wearing cotton undies and avoiding pantyhose. Now I don't get them, except on rare occasions when I take certain antibiotics, but I do my best to avoid those, too.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Your post reminded me of 9 years ago when I was on about my 8th month of going to my new gyn. Every month I got the itchies and I was not wearing tight pants, not sexually active nothing. I finally went in and asked her what the hell was up with 8 months of yeast infections that I had seen her more in 8 months then any Doc in my life.
She said to me well, how is your diabetes? I almost fell off the table and asked her if she had the right chart as I had no history of diabetes. And she said so calmly " well, your suagras have been extremely high the last 8 months".
And with that I saw RED..What do you mean for the last 8 months how high are they and she said 423! I wanted to rip her white coat off but instead I yelled and just when in the hell were you going to mention this to me, what kind of a doctor are you? Oh God was I angry at her I mean was she just collecting money for her needs.
I left her office went downstairs practically hysterical and ran into my own primary Doc and she ran a test and sure enough my sugars were 425 and I was feeling fine. Diabetic was my new companion.
I can't tell you how I have barfed when I hear that docs name for being so incompetent to me. Also just had a ingrown toe nail removed so I was scared to death hearing I was diabetic. All turned out ok thanks to my wonderful Docs who took care of me and had a few choice words for her.
So check with your blood sugars about this.
Now I know after reading up on diabetes that this was a first sign of this disease. I was so ignorant then I may have prevented it had I known or at least delayed it.
Sorry to vent like this but God it is so important for Docs to check things and not be like mine was.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
(female)

Leelee28 HB UserLeelee28 HB User

In April of 2006, I had sex for the first time while starting BC and being put on extremely harsh antibiotics. That started the hell year of nonstop yeast infections. I am in college and so the health center is free and I would go everytime one popped up if I was around. The trouble was, there was no pattern to them. We thought maybe it was my boyfriend's penis or ejaculate, but even with a condom they were happening. Sometimes I got them before my period, sometimes after. In the end, I was randomly getting infections about once a month for the next year.

Finally, my doc said that maybe my vagina is just really off balance and needs a little boost! She put me on a 8 week treatment of the Flucosamine of however you spell it! After that, I've only had an occasional yeast infection, and nothing like it was back then. So, if you have insurance, ask about an extended treatment. It was the only thing that worked for me, but wow am I thankful for it!

As far as why you may be really itchy even with treatment, that is because the meds you take treat the infection itself, not your skin. Yeast infections happen because of an inbalance of good to bad bacteria and the pH gets real off. So even though meds clear up the infection, you skin is still freaking out and it takes a few days for it to relax. That's the worst part of course, but just make sure to treat the infection asap and the itching will soon subside.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
(female)

jeanie80 HB User

Well, my YI seemed like it was clearing up itself around Wed. The itching was reduced to a really mild burning at night. But late yesterday afternoon I had some discharge that was thicker than normal and presto, the itchies! My gyno said to drag myself to an urgent care place this morning since she couldn't fit me in until Tues with the holiday and I'd got my last prescrip from a UC. Why do these things always happen on weekends and around holidays?

Naturally, the UC doctor didn't even want to do an exam, but he did give me a stronger Diflucan prescrip. He also suggested that I use a douche first. I'm not sure about that, from what I've heard, but then since I've already got the infection and it was just warm water I'm hoping it doesn't screw up my vajayjay's environment even more than those useless 3-day OTC creams. The burning has just now gone away since I took the first pill this afternoon, so I won't have to sleep with an ice pack on my crotch. Yay!

I suggest, on my own discovery last night, using aloe vera (the actual plant not a lotion) on the external irritation. I was finding the creams next to useless and thought if the stuff works for burns it might do the trick. It did! I was itching like mad and within about a minute after slathering that nice cool goo all over the itching went away completely and the burning was reduced too! One more reason to love the 99 Cent Store and their succulent selection.

I plan to make a gyno appointment for later this month just in case the Diflucan doesn't seem to be working, but right now I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping that my vagina will be smiling again by next week...as that lady gyno on Oprah would say. Keep the faith, ladies!

Closed Thread