It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

teri22 HB User
Allergic Reactions to Period

I am a 46 y/o woman with continued monthly periods and not on any birthcontrol pills or other meds. I do take several daily vitamins, multi, C, E, calcium D, zinc, fish oil. Due to my age, the fact that my prementrual breast tenderness has increased significantly in the last 6 months and that the time between periods has been shorter by a couple days, on the occasional month, I consider myself perimenopausal.

For the last 4 months, within a day or so of my period starting, I have had new, random, bizarre symtoms. First month, I had generalized swelling all over my body with pitting edema in my legs, unexplained rash on my inner thighs and sore throat. Second month, general swelling all over, non-pitting edema in legs, no rash. Third month, usual bloating, unremarkable swelling all over body, except for my gums, especially around my lower front teeth where it swelled tremendously and significant spontaneous bleeding in the gums there. Fourth month, day after my period started, (this morning), minor swelling and bleeding in my gums, some spontaneous bleeding there, though minimal by comparison to last month, but with cold sores on my tongue, swelling in my throat overnight and hives on my neck and itching inner thighs. In each case the symptoms have lasted at least the week of my period and longer on the months where the swelling has been more substantial. In each case, I have taken Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory, generic benadryl and applied triple antibiotic oinment to the rashes, which lessened the symptoms, until they eventually subsided altogether and all the swelling, gum bleeding and rashes went away. It is as if I have become allergic to my period? Any thoughts, advice?

Should I try oral birth control to even out what seems to be hormonal irregularities that may be causing these bizarre reactions. I have read that edema and gum bleeding can be perimenopausal symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread