It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

maddiekisses HB User
Period, Breast Sensitivity, Nipple Discharge, Pregnancy?

Okay, I understand that it is not physically possible to have a period while you are pregnant, but that sometimes a woman can continue to have bleeding that conicides with your normal period. For lack of a better term, I was will refer to the bleeding as a 'period'.

Here is my situation: The last time I had sex was in the beginning of September, probably the 1st or 2nd. I started my period as normal on the 10th of September. My last one started on the 7th of this month (October). I normally experience extreme breast sensitivity/tenderness beginning around 7 days before my period and once my period starts it goes away. Like clockwork, last month this happened, but the tenderness has yet to go away.

I am also experiencing nipple discharge in a variety of colors (greenish, brownish, grayish, milky and clear). This is not a spontaneous discharge. It only happens if I squeeze my breasts or they are otherwise manipluated (as in a self-breast exam). I am confident there is not infection as I understand that the discharge would be localized to one duct. This is not the case. Many ducts are emitting the discharge. I've also been told that the unusual discharge is not a symptom of pregnancy, but from my research online I have discovered that it indeed can be.

Today I experienced some spotting. I have had this at times in the past, but without the other symptoms. I feel like I am about to start my period, but it should not show up for another week. I have not other symptoms besides the breast issues and the spotting.

I have an aunt who continued to have her 'period' for several months into her pregnancy. She didn't even realize she was pregnant. So I have a concern this could be the case with me. If so, this would be an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy so I need to take care of things as soon as possible. I also do not have medical insurance. I don't want to see a doctor unless absolutely necessary.

By the way, I am 34 and am not on any prescription medications or hormones.

My questions are:

What are the chances that I actually could be pregnant?

If a woman continues to have her 'period' while she is pregnant, when does this normally stop?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Last edited by maddiekisses; 10-29-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
(female)

kgirl25 HB User
Re: Period, Breast Sensitivity, Nipple Discharge, Pregnancy?

i feel that you should take a test to make sure. there are things you can do so you dont have to go to the dr. office to help take care of yourself and the baby.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

wyldflwr623 HB User

The best way for you to determine if you may be pregnant is to take an early at-home pregancy test. If you haven't started your period like you believe you should have, then testing yourself is a good place to start.

There are many women that continue to have light spotting or "period" like symptoms while pregnant. There can be several causes to this - for example, implantation bleeding. You can spot or have some light bleeding when the "egg" attaches to the lining. The blood can either be pink or brown colored.

Another cause for bleeding is ectopic pregnancy (but that is usually accompanied by other symptoms, including pain) or also molar pregnancy which is another way of saying an abnormal growth and not a true pregnancy.

Most often women who do have spotting or bleeding when pregnant usually have their bleeding resolve itself by the 16th week. Bleeding or spotting that goes further than the first trimester is indicative of a problem.

As for the nipple discharge, that doesn't mean pregnancy either. You could have a hormone imbalance where your body is producing too much prolactin if the discharge is cloudy or milky and "not sticky". However, if your discharge is clear, thick and mucousy, you should speak to your doctor. Keep in mind, if the discharge only occurs when your breasts are squeezed, it is less troublesome than if the discharge came out on its own. If you smoke, that can cause discharge as well.

Good luck and keep us posted to how you are doing!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I've heard that a woman can have her period up to 3 months after getting pregnant.

Based on the time frame and your symptoms I think pregnancy is a possibility.. I just can't say how good of a chance it is.

Try a home pregnancy test and find a Planned Parenthood in your area. (they have a website where you can find the clinic closest to you.) Planned Parenthood is a FREE clinic, no insurance needed. They ask for a donation and that can be any amount you choose to give. Make an appiontment. That way you can comfirm whatever the at home pregnancy test told you and/or you could find out what may be causing your symptoms if you are not pregnant.

Good luck to you

Closed Thread