It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Question Anyone have Tubal Ligation Side Effects?

Has hanyone had any problems with a tubal ligation? I have read something about hormones being off after having one and some people become moody, etc. I am currently on the birth control pill, but I would rather be drug free and I am done having children. I made my appointments for a tubal ligation earlier this year, but backed out when my husband became concerned about it. Like I stated I would rather me drug free and I also take herbs and vitamins that reduce the effectiveness of the pill and that is where one of my conerns are. If it came down to it, I would rather treat any side effects naturally than be dependent on a prescription pill. So, I am asking if you experienced any bad side effects that I should be aware of before I make a decision, Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
(female)

WorriednNervous HB User
Re: Anyone have Tubal Ligation Side Effects?

Hey there I had mine done just over 4 years ago. I have not had any physical side effects from the surgery but....I do have worse depression now over what I had done. Also I have had major regrets a year after the surgery. I still have those regrets and deep sorrow today. I thought I was done having kids but apparently not after what I feel today. If I could go back in time knowing what I know now I would have a 5 year IUD done instead of something soon permenant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I had a tubal many years ago and it is no big deal and there was absolutely no side effects...they are not removing any body hormone parts so no need to worry about having to take anything. It is quick and easy. Have it done and then enjoy life!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for these answers so far. I know it is not something I will regret as far as having children, I am done having children so that it no issue for me. Knowing this is a more permanent solution, I will feel more relieved as I become paranoid each month although I know I am not pregnant.

I read before that some women get moody or depressed and that it is somehow linked with having the procedure done. Some women mentioned that they actually went and had the procedure reversed.

I can combat depression and moods through exercise, diet, vitamins and minerals and the sun here in Southern California.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

wyldflwr623 HB User

Actually, there is something called "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome" and it is controversial among many doctors. Lately with some new studies, it has been gaining some acceptance as an actual disorder.

I firmly believe in it since I suffer from it. I went for years with normal periods; no cramping or any breast tenderness. Very minor mood swings from PMS, but virtually each cycle was unnoticable to me because it was quite without incident. However, after my fourth child, I decided to have a tubal.

In the months after the tubal, I found that my periods became so much worse than I had ever experienced. Unbearable cramps that weren't helped by ibuprofen or a heating pad. My breasts became so sore and tender that it was painful to even put on a bra. I began to bleed more heavily than in the past. I also developed cysts on my ovaries that I never had before.

Long story short, today, nearly four years later, I am starting the pill to suppress the release of eggs to my one remaining ovary so that I can go without my period for several months as a diagnostic test.

If you are concerned about the holistic and natural well-being of the body, then a tubal may not be the best choice for you. You have to talk to your doctor about what is best. Some people can look at the situation either way: it isn't healthy to be on the pill but at the same time it isn't healthy to change the natural function of your body either. I guess you kind of have to choose the lesser of two evils if it comes down to that.

All I know is that there is a very real and distrinct possibility for side effects that most doctors won't tell you about. Do an internet search for Post Tubal Ligation Disorder and read up on it yourself.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
(female)

wyldflwr623 HB User

Also wanted to post this:

TITLE: Risk and contraception: what women are not told about tubal ligation.

AUTHORS: Turney L

SOURCE: WOMEN'S STUDIES INTERNATIONAL FORUM. 1993 Sep-Oct;16(5):471-86.

SECONDARY SOURCE ID: PIP/091715

ABSTRACT: The most common method of fertility control is tubal ligation. Physicians and some women promote tubal sterilization as an extremely safe and very effective method of permanent fertility control. Yet the medical profession has known since 1930 that significant numbers of women suffer serious and irreversible complications from tubal ligations; women have died from tubal ligation. Its mortality rates in Bangladesh, the UK, and US, are 1/5000, 1/10,000, and 1/25,000, respectively. Women experience complications both during and after surgery (e.g., twisting of the tube, sometimes accompanied by gangrene, and accumulation of fluid in a tube). After tubal ligation, many women develop endometriosis.

Torsion, hydrosalpinx, and/or endometriosis contribute to increased menstrual pain. Disturbance of the local flora can cause sepsis (e.g., toxic shock syndrome). Some women have a severe inflammatory reaction to the silicone in clips and rings. Tubal ligation may be linked to an increased risk of cervical cancer. Many sterilized women eventually undergo hysterectomy. Many women experience excessive bleeding during menstruation, but many physicians discount this as women not knowing their own bodies and subjective estimates of blood loss. Impaired ovarian blood supply and altered nerve supply to the tube and/or ovary are possible causes for post-tubal ligation menstruation problems. Many women experience memory loss, general decline in feeling of well-being, lethargy, and loss of libido after tubal ligation, indicating a spontaneous iatrogenic menopause. Yet physicians often attribute these symptoms to psychological problems, thereby denying women knowledge of their own bodies. Tubal ligation-induced problems should not be limited to the medical profession. We need to seriously examine the processes that keep this information from women.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think that was the information I was looking for, the post tubal ligation syndrome that some women experience. The pill is the only drug I take, literally. I do not take Tylenol and I had my drug without drugs too. Can you take the pill and still have a tubal ligation? I experience severe cramping when menstruating and I originally began the pill to help. I assume the cramping will come back if I go off of the pill. My biggest concern is to not have anymore children. If I could stay on the pill and have a tubal I think that would work for me.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
(female)

wyldflwr623 HB User

Yes, you can do both. I had a tubal and then I began to take low estrogen pill for the severe cramping and pain symptoms associated with PTLS. I think that your doctor might prefer you to have the tubal done without you taking the pill. Then if you are still cramping, etc. than try the pill.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

air_20 HB User

Yes, you can have a tubal and still go on the pill.

Last edited by air_20; 11-15-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
(female)

friend07 HB User

I was searching this topic because I just learned today at my 2 week post op exam that I actually had a condition called Hydrosalpinx, which was a build up of fluid/blood in one of my fallopian tubes. I had my tubes tied 17 yrs. ago. For many years I have had very heavy and painful periods, which I had been led to believe was "normal after you had your tubal" or "normal as you get older". I honestly believed it was normal to suffer that way every month. By accident, during my annual pap, the doctor and I discussed this at great length, just because it came up. Before I left his office I was scheduled for an ultrasound and then a hysteroscopy and laproscopy and D&C, to possibly check for endometriosis. So to my suprise at my follow up today I was told of results of Hydrosalpinx, and that he had opened the tube to allow the fluid to drain. I ask how it happens, there were several possible ways but none seemed to explain the cause of mine, except for that it had occured following my tubal. Who would've known?

Last edited by friend07; 11-16-2007 at 10:31 PM.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
(female)

mommyx5 HB User

I had it done 5 years ago. I have had no problem at all. In fact, I enjoy sex much more now, that I dont have to worry about pregnancy. I dont have heavy periods, or cramping. I have had 9 pg`s all together with several losses, and the rest high risk pg`s. So for me it was a very good decision.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Just a quick note that the article which was posted here was published in 1993. The procedure which is done now, is completely different, thus reducing many of the side effects from the former procedure.
The only reason I mention this, is my tubal is scheduled in early January and I have researched this to death....in fact, one of the newer techniques which is being done along with the tubal is called NovaSure which I am also having done at the same time, in order to allieviate the heavy bleeding....chances are, Ill never bleed again! YIPPEE!
Im all for having the tubal, have no fear of guilt, and have been on the pill for 20 years..Im ready for this! My issues are more concern over hormonal changes and my priority concern; I have MS and Im not looking forward to hormonal changes (but then Im in my 40s and I figure they arent far away anyhow!).
Gotta keep looking forward and do whats right for you...good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
(female)

wyldflwr623 HB User

I would just like to clarify my feelings on this - simply because I am very passionate about this topic. I don't seek to offend anyone here or try to make you believe that my opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

I too have researched this to death and although the previously mentioned article was written in 1993, there are many current documents that support PTLS. For instance, there is a book written by Susan Bucher called What Doctor's Don't Tell You About Tubal Ligation and Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome that was published in 2006. The materials and studies are very current and support the theory that many women experience PTLS - and not everyone does, but there are quite a few women who.

The various ways that the normal function of the falliopian tubes are suppressed doesn't make a difference in whether or not you get PTLS - the major factor seems to be that the ovaries suffer from disrupted blood flow when the falliopian tubes are tied, burned, cut, etc. Interrupting the normal function of the fallopian tubes can cause a whole host of problems that results in PTLS.

Your procedure will include NovaSure which is the ablation of tissues in the uterus - that is something very different from a tubal (which I'm sure you know) but it is also related to a specific health need for you. Most women don't or won't have NovaSure done and even that second procedure will not erase the chance for PTLS. It is the hormones that are effected and that is what disturbs your body the most.

Everyone had to choose carefully when making a decision like this and take the time to talk to your doctor about all the options first.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
(female)

susiehf HB User

Hello,

I had a tubal 18 yrs ago at age 27. I had very heavy periods thereafter, which led to a uterine ablation 5 yrs ago. For six months I have been experiencing lower left abdominal pain which my gyn believes is "post-ablation tubal sterilization syndrome". This condition is appearing in women who have had both procedures - the fallopian tube is blocked by endrometrial scar tissue, causing back-up and irritation, particularly with periods (although bleeding is minimal due to the ablation).

He urges a hysterectomy, which I am resistant to as it seems a drastic measure. His suggested alternative is to take norethindrone.

Friend07's experience seems similar to mine - and I had never heard of a "hydrosalpinx" until now! Is there anyone else out there experiencing this problem and how are you treating it??

Susie

Old 11-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lala-whatsnext HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
Has hanyone had any problems with a tubal ligation? I have read something about hormones being off after having one and some people become moody, etc. I am currently on the birth control pill, but I would rather be drug free and I am done having children. I made my appointments for a tubal ligation earlier this year, but backed out when my husband became concerned about it. Like I stated I would rather me drug free and I also take herbs and vitamins that reduce the effectiveness of the pill and that is where one of my conerns are. If it came down to it, I would rather treat any side effects naturally than be dependent on a prescription pill. So, I am asking if you experienced any bad side effects that I should be aware of before I make a decision, Thanks.
the tubes are all that is affected, it doesn't bother your hormones, most report better sex life because there is no worry about pregnancy. It cannot affect your periods either, it is your tubes, not your uterus. Things like cramps and flows and period related issues change and we age and change. Tubes are cut, thats it. Job well done and thats just it.

Closed Thread